Pre-Game Talk: Week of Sunshine...not with Rainbows (@FLA, @TB, @CAR, SJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
If the team continues to play this bad for the next two weeks, he should be fired.

What will that do?

Who out there is a better option at this time?

Let Roy try to right the ship and give him the start of next year to get this team playing right. This season might be lost because of how tough the Central is. I just don't see the point in a mid-season firing right now.

I agree he might not be a fit but he says the right things. I think its fair that Roy gets a chance to get his players to adapt and play the right way. If its like last year and if they are winning when it doesn't matter at the end of the year, then come out like **** again at the start of next year I would agree its not just a player problem.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Didn't Roy have a quote like two days ago about this? It's not great reasoning, but they seem content to bring Gormley along slowly. I still think he'll be taking over here soon enough. They didn't trade for a 23 year old defenseman to sit him over Guenin all year.

It's in my sig...

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
What will that do?

Who out there is a better option at this time?

Let Roy try to right the ship and give him the start of next year to get this team playing right. This season might be lost because of how tough the Central is. I just don't see the point in a mid-season firing right now.

I agree he might not be a fit but he says the right things. I think its fair that Roy gets a chance to get his players to adapt and play the right way. If its like last year and if they are winning when it doesn't matter at the end of the year, then come out like **** again at the start of next year I would agree its not just a player problem.

Another "start of next season" for him? I wouldn't take that chance.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
We should be all over Bruce Boudreau if he gets fired in Anaheim. I don't like him as a person, but his results speak for themselves. Sure his team has never been able to win the cup, but that's a lot better than what we've been doing so far.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Roy shouldn't be fired, and he won't be fired if the organization has any real intention of getting and keeping Radulov.

Independent of that, all the Roy hate around here pisses me off. The Avs board use to be enjoyable, now I have to filter through 70 percent *****ing and moaning. I'm starting to feel like a masocist for coming back here every day.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
We should be all over Bruce Boudreau if he gets fired in Anaheim. I don't like him as a person, but his results speak for themselves. Sure his team has never been able to win the cup, but that's a lot better than what we've been doing so far.

Maybe Bruce would be an assistant to Roy. :naughty: :D

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I would not be at all surprised if we saw some assistant coach shuffling before next season. Something tells me Army's time is almost up.

Roy deserves a shot next year, if indeed they start out bad again, then yeah, I think he will step down. I just hope they're actually prepared like Anaheim appears to be and not unprepared like Columbus appeared to be.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Roy isn't going to get fired anytime soon... something drastic has to happen like lose the next 10 games and he'll step down as opposed to getting fired. Probably stay on to be the GM. He's too heavily invested in this team to get canned this fast.

Sacco got 4 years, Roy will get just as much.

To bad Anthopoulos just hit the market too.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Just do a better job of "managing the game" and we're good. Also, keep things simple in the offensive zone on those rare occasions we actually get into the offensive zone. Easy stuff.

It starts tonight!

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
So far, Roy is a bit fired up.

That's normal Patrick, this is fired up Roy:

tumblr_neqzmjEZQ61skgd7ao2_400.gif

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Roy shouldn't be fired, and he won't be fired if the organization has any real intention of getting and keeping Radulov.

Independent of that, all the Roy hate around here pisses me off. The Avs board use to be enjoyable, now I have to filter through 70 percent *****ing and moaning. I'm starting to feel like a masocist for coming back here every day.
Agreed with everything but the Radulov stuff. Don't get the fascination there. As one of the few that doesn't think the season is over...this place has become soul crushingly dark.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Seriously this Roy hate, has to stop. He isn't getting fired this year, so people should get that out of their heads now. He could lose 75% of the games the rest of the year and land the #1 pick and still not get fired.

If Sacco got 4 full years, to dick around with, Roy surely will get at least that.

Plus if we have any desire to land a certain Russian, that would do wonders for this team. We sure as hell aren't firing Roy.

You don't fire coaches that have a winning percentage around .600 over the past 2+ years. Obviously he has made some questionable decisions the past couple of seasons, but at the same time, some of issues fall on the players just not executing. These slow starts, I'm not sure if it's bad coaching decisions (like playing a system we're clearly not capable of), or if it's players not training the right way during the offseason or a combo of both, I lean towards a combo of both.

Not everything that has happened has been Roy's fault. He's had some lackluster performances from key players that haven't helped. People like Duchene, Landeskog, MacKinnon, EJ, Barrie, Varly need to be your best players every single night, and that just doesn't happen with us. It pretty hit or miss with those guys. You look at a team like Chicago, and every single night Towes, Kane, Seabrook, Ketih etc. are big factors for them. For us, you don't see the consistent play from our stars.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm glad that Roy is a lot more patient with our youth than our fanbase. I'd rather err on the side of caution and let Greg/Gormley/Bigras/Mikko and even Zads over-rippen so that they are really ready for bigger roles when they get them; and seeing Patrick taking that approach in a year where we're trying to blood so much young talent is really refreshing and has made me a lot more confident in this team's future than I was when we broke camp.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Great interview.

I'm excited to see Duchene and Landeskog together. Everyone keeps saying their styles go against one another but I've always felt like their styles would compliment one another. I feel like people only say that because it didn't go as planned in a VERY short experiment the last time.

It's not so much their styles that haven't meshed, it's their minds. They haven't been able to read what each other we're going to do.

They've had a few random shifts together since it was "tried" even last year, and in my eyes they showed small signs of understanding each other, even though it didn't quite click perfectly. It's definitely the right time to try it again though.

I'd actually like to see a Landy - Dutch - Tangs line at some point. I think that might have a chance at working real well, provided Tanguay's head has been removed from his posterior. I think Dutchy needs a winger that he trusts can make plays and handle the puck well to play that quicker give and go game like he did with Flash.

That would allow Landy to focus on a simple forechecking and quick pass game like ROR did with Duchene. He's good at holding onto the puck and making plays himself, but with the makeup of that line he wouldn't have to. He can just play a more traditional power game in the corners and cause havoc in front of the net.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Last year Landy & Mack were playing awful hockey when Roy finally tried them on Duchene's wings to see if he could spark them like he had everyone else on the team. Tough to take too much from that line's failure last year or the funk they put Duchene in because of just how off both 92 and 29 were.

And Landy's better when he's playing with the puck on his stick and not just doing the McGinn thing for his line. So I'm not opposed to Landy-Dutchy getting tried, but I am opposed to Tanguay being the third guy on that line. I'd rather see Comeau or even Everbeast/Skille in there to take pressure off of Landy from having to lead the way on every forecheck, and to create space for Landy-Matt to create together.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The one thing I would have asked Roy in that interview is if they are playing too cute then wouldn't it be time to implement some more offensive structure? They certainly do though, we notice the extra passing or the perimeter play. Av said in another thread the other day how nobody goes to really stand in front of the goalie, they will go rotate over there eventually but nobody makes it their job to stand there and park it in the crease.

I agree Roy gets next year to start. If things are terrible then they might look at something. This roster has holes that are contributing to things too. It's not like it's Anaheim where a contender just can't get it together. Everyone expected us to be awful, if they were right then how is it Roy's fault? I could see a shake up by getting rid of Army, that might bring in someone who can give the offense structure and say it's not ok but not do the whole getting rid of Roy.

Speaking of coaches, can anyone speak to any differences Farrish has brought in the defensive system? I am not well versed enough in systems to be able to determine this myself so any thoughts would be appreciated.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I have been one of many advocating for the firing of Roy, partially in jest partially because I get frustrated watching the product on the ice.

But realistically, the way the team has been playing playing rantanen on his off ring, making questionable personal decisions, and having Skille play with Lando - Mack are not the only reasons why the avalanche keep losing. Their forwards are playing poorly, their defense is playing poorly, and varlamov has not been out of his mind the whole time.

I can yell at the tv all I want when the avalanche don't shoot on the 5vs3 powerplay, but maybe Roy yells at them the same.

Either way, until Duchene, Tanguay, Barrie, EJ all start scoring the team is going to be brutal. Lando and Mack have had some great games but still are not playing their best.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
One thing I've noticed about this defense that I see better teams do differently is resetting when the other team clears the zone and they need to get back through the NZ.

I notice we often either get it back to the dmen, or they collect the non-icing pucks, but then instead of either picking the pass or moving in right away, there's a bit too much hemming and hawing about waiting for that passing lane to open, and they'll pass east-west between dmen instead of moving up if the pass isn't there, which makes them vulnerable to the other team coming in on the forecheck, which in turn obviously disrupts the ability of the offence to get in on things.

I'd like to see a little more decisiveness from the dmen, or at least for that to be a point of focus because I think improvement there could be a big boon for our troubles moving it through the NZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad