Pre-Game Talk: Week of Rest (@DAL)

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I see your .917 and raise you a .933 playoff save percentage. Something Varlamov could only dream of doing while blowing lead after lead in a game 7.

Really, you're gonna hang your hat on the numbers from one playoff series that Anderson lost 4-2, with a better and more veteran group in front of him? And forget the way the Avs played in that game 7 against Minny?

If you're comfortable gambling on someone besides Varly, that's up to you. Varly certainly is a gamble himself. It just isn't true that Anderson, or Theo, or Aebischer, or whoever else in the last 15 years were better goaltenders for the Avalanche though.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Really, you're gonna hang your hat on the numbers from one playoff series that Anderson lost, with a better and more veteran group in front of him? And forget the way the Avs played in that game 7 against Minny?

If you're comfortable gambling on someone besides Varly, that's up to you. Varly certainly is a gamble himself. It just isn't true that Anderson, or Theo, or Aebischer, or whoever else in the last 15 years were better goaltenders for the Avalanche though.
You're stating this like it's factual. It's your opinion. You're entitled to have it, of course, and you do have a case, but there is also a case to be made for other goaltenders. Varlamov isn't head and shoulders above those guys.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Really, you're gonna hang your hat on the numbers from one playoff series that Anderson lost, with a better and more veteran group in front of him? And forget the way the Avs played in that game 7 against Minny?

You really think the 09-10 Avs were better than the 13-14 Avs? Seriously...? Have you looked at that roster recently?

Kyle f***ing Cumiskey was playing 22min a night in the playoffs

2010 NHL Stanley Cup Western Conference Quarter-Finals: COL vs. SJS | Hockey-Reference.com

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You're stating this like it's factual. It's your opinion. You're entitled to have it, of course, and you do have a case, but there is also a case to be made for other goaltenders. Varlamov isn't head and shoulders above those guys.

I would be comfortable calling 99% of the things said by anyone or myself on this board as opinion. I really don't see a case for this being one.

Varlamov has had two seasons with higher save percentage than Theo or Anderson ever had, passed the eye test by stealing probably the most games, and had the most inexperienced, and worst teams in front of him.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
I would be comfortable calling 99% of the things said by anyone or myself on this board as opinion. I really don't see a case for this being one.

Varlamov has had two seasons with higher save percentage than Theo or Anderson ever had, passed the eye test by stealing probably the most games, and had the most inexperienced, and worst teams in front of him.

But he didn't.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
You really think the 09-10 Avs were better than the 13-14 Avs? Seriously...? Have you looked at that roster recently?

Kyle ****ing Cumiskey was playing 22min a night in the playoffs

2010 NHL Stanley Cup Western Conference Quarter-Finals: COL vs. SJS | Hockey-Reference.com

They're close. I think that team was better based on their experience yes. Cumiskey's overage doesn't change my opinion that. Both teams were bad. Both goaltenders stood on their head that year. Varly's 2013-14 season was clearly better than Andersons. Both with the numbers and the eye test.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Of course most of it is opinion, but you're stating this as fact. It's not.

His 13-14 season is the best out of the goaltenders, that much is true.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
But he didn't.

The Avalanche have been a bad non playoff team 5 out of 6 seasons while Varly has been here. The exception being 2013-14 where he willed them into the playoffs by standing on his head.

Look at the history of seasons before him. The only ones that have been nearly as bad as the last six years have been 2008-09 and 2010-11.

2009-09 they had a veteran group of Hejduk, Smyth, Stastny, Sakic, Svatos, Stewart, Lappy, Leopold, Hannan, and Foote, and Raycroft and Budaj in net, who both finished with sub .900 save percentages, and plus 3.00 GAA's.

2010-11 had one of Duchene's best years, Stastny, Hejduk, Liles, Jones and Stewart who both had good seasons, ROR, Winnik, McClement, Shattenkirk/EJ, Foote, Hannan, and Wilson when he was still good. They went with Anderson, Budaj, and Elliott in net, and all three had sub .900 save percentages, and pus 3.00 GAA's.

List of Colorado Avalanche seasons - Wikipedia

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Yeah no Varlys by far the second best goalie we've had for this franchise

I dont know how anyone actually questions that

Reactions: Waingro

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Of course most of it is opinion, but you're stating this as fact. It's not.

His 13-14 season is the best out of the goaltenders, that much is true.

Doesn't that settle it? His peak year was the best. His second best year was up there as well in 2014-15 and had better numbers than Anderson or Theo as well, though I think Anderson's 09-10 season was probably better.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Doesn't that settle it? His peak year was the best. His second best year was up there as well in 2014-15 and had better numbers than Anderson or Theo as well, though I think Anderson's 09-10 season was probably better.
I haven't been arguing whether or not Varlamov is better than them. I do think he is. What I've been arguing is that goaltenders are capable of having one great season as an outlier which can lead people into believing the goaltender is capable of doing that again. I don't think Varlamov will ever be capable of being 13-14 Varly ever again.

He had one great season in 13-14. But so did Aebischer, and so did Anderson. We know that Aebischer was not an NHL caliber starting goalie, but we do know that Anderson is. With Varlamov, he's showing signs of breaking down before he's even 30. The 13-14 season was amazing, but I'm more than ready to move on.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Varlamov is the best we've had since Roy, but that is not saying much, his 12-13 season was beyond awful, i think only Erik Johnson was worse than him that year.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
omg who cares about this debate about Theodore and Anderson.

Not all threads have to devolve into pissing matches.

The whole point is about how many goaltenders (19) the Avs have tried in the last 15 years since Roy retired, and to be careful what you wish for in trying to replace Varlamov. The injuries are a huge factor to be concerned about, but that doesn't mean you're going to find a better alternative. Especially in this market.

I hope they do find a better alternative, but if you know the history of the Avalanche, everyone should be very nervous about exploring that option.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
We should have traded him after the 15-16 season while he still had some value, and there was a few teams looking for goalies.

Reactions: UncleRisto

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Varly's injuries are unfortunate and his play the last couple seasons has been disappointing but I'm still taking him over every goalie the Avs have had since Roy. He was amazing at his peak and what made it even more impressive is that he was doing it with arguably the worst defense in the NHL in front of him. He was a legit Hart and Vezina candidate in 2013.

Reactions: McMetal

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This one from Frei is worth reading as well:

I'm liking what I'm hearing from MacKinnon this season and I don't think it's just a case of him saying the right things to the media. He sounds like more of a leader and someone who isn't satisfied even though he's near the top of the scoring race and everyone is talking about him again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad