Pre-Game Talk: Week of New York

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Do T know
This is the issue when you already have a weak group of forwards... Injuries are going to happen and this team especially seems to have a lot of injury issues...

Our 2nd line now is what....

JTC - Newhook - ERod

That's just really bad. And on top of that our 3rd line now is worse then what our 4th line was last year.
Swap out JTC and put in Kaut. That's what they're going with.

BTW, even though that line is technically the "second line," Bednar hasn't really been treating it like that. Would not be surprised if Newhook and Kaut saw pretty sparse usage, especially if they get caved in early.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Do T know

Swap out JTC and put in Kaut. That's what they're going with.

BTW, even though that line is technically the "second line," Bednar hasn't really been treating it like that. Would not be surprised if Newhook and Kaut saw pretty sparse usage, especially if they get caved in early.
Against the Devils... I'd say it is very likely that line gets caved.

Reactions: Pokecheque

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The underlying on Compher is actually pretty good. I'm not a big linemate excuse guy, and Compher does need to start producing... but he's playing with 2 4th liners. If you're expecting 40 points out of him... first, you were expecting way too much in the first place. Second, not gonna happen with who he is playing with.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Very curious to see if Foudy gets a callup at some point in the near future.

Considering all the forwards we've already given a chance to, Foudy has outperformed all of them to start the year. On the one hand he's earned as chance way more then the rest of the fodder...

On the other hand, you almost prefer to see him continue playing in the AHL and hopefully dominating. The more confident the kid can get in the AHL the more likely he is IMO to transition to the NHL well and the more likely the offense comes with him. He's still only 20 years old after all and if it weren't for Covid, this would have been his first year of eligibility in the AHL anyway.

I said in his draft year I would have taken him in the 1st round and still stand by that. You wanna talk about a guy who is a legitimately elite skater, Foudy is exactly that(Unlike Newhook/Jost) and its a skillset that could very well allow him to create the necessary space at the NHL level to be an offensive threat. Plus as we saw with his goal the other night, he's got some creativity to go with all that speed. He is by far the most intriguing forward prospect in our pool for me at this point. Outside of Olausson he's the only other guy I feel has Top 6 forward upside.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Very curious to see if Foudy gets a callup at some point in the near future.

Considering all the forwards we've already given a chance to, Foudy has outperformed all of them to start the year. On the one hand he's earned as chance way more then the rest of the fodder...

On the other hand, you almost prefer to see him continue playing in the AHL and hopefully dominating. The more confident the kid can get in the AHL the more likely he is IMO to transition to the NHL well and the more likely the offense comes with him. He's still only 20 years old after all and if it weren't for Covid, this would have been his first year of eligibility in the AHL anyway.

I said in his draft year I would have taken him in the 1st round and still stand by that. You wanna talk about a guy who is a legitimately elite skater, Foudy is exactly that(Unlike Newhook/Jost) and its a skillset that could very well allow him to create the necessary space at the NHL level to be an offensive threat. Plus as we saw with his goal the other night, he's got some creativity to go with all that speed. He is by far the most intriguing forward prospect in our pool for me at this point. Outside of Olausson he's the only other guy I feel has Top 6 forward upside.
I'd keep him down for half the season at least. He's getting into a groove offensively and that'd likely die at the NHL level right now. Let him grow and develop for a bit. If he's still producing and being impactful in January, I'd give him a run then.

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
Let's just put McDermid up on the 2nd line.

If we can't beat them with skill, then let's just...beat them.

R.png

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Devils early success has been one of the biggest surprises of the season. Ruff is terrible and no one can convince me otherwise. If you don't believe me, just ask Nichushkin.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Devils early success has been one of the biggest surprises of the season. Ruff is terrible and no one can convince me otherwise. If you don't believe me, just ask Nichushkin.
Jim Montgomery mishandled Nuke even worse than Lindy ever did--keep in mind Nuke also burned a whole bunch of bridges in the KHL as well. It's possible Nuke himself was part of the problem.

Lindy is an old-school guy who eventually loses the room (much like Ken Hitchcock regularly did) but he's a pretty good coach. Got a lot out of a dwindling talent base in Buffalo that wasn't that great to begin with, and recognized immediately what he had to do with that Dallas roster in order to succeed, did the Bednar thing long before Bednar showed up.

Say what you will about the man but he hasn't had a competent starting goaltender the entire time he's been in New Jersey. No coach can succeed in that situation.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Jim Montgomery mishandled Nuke even worse than Lindy ever did--keep in mind Nuke also burned a whole bunch of bridges in the KHL as well. It's possible Nuke himself was part of the problem.

Lindy is an old-school guy who eventually loses the room (much like Ken Hitchcock regularly did) but he's a pretty good coach. Got a lot out of a dwindling talent base in Buffalo that wasn't that great to begin with, and recognized immediately what he had to do with that Dallas roster in order to succeed, did the Bednar thing long before Bednar showed up.

Say what you will about the man but he hasn't had a competent starting goaltender the entire time he's been in New Jersey. No coach can succeed in that situation.
what's the story behind nuke burning bridges in the KHL?

Lindy likes it Ruff... and I say we give it to him today. Devils center/forward depth will cause some issues but that D and goaltending leaves a lot to be desired.

4-2 Avs Frankenstein shows up early for Halloween.
All tricks no treats for the Devils.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Cale needs to find his game. He's been pretty bad defensively and has only 1 point at even strength so far.
I'm not worried about him. And overall, not too considered about our play so far. Shorter summer takes its toll. The only "worrying" thing for me so far is Newhook. He's been given a golden opportunity to break out. Sure, Landeskog and now Nuke out means he's not playing with the talent we hope to surround him with, but he hasn't taken any steps to take that 2nd C spot.

The other thing I and probably a lot of us were concerned going in was the goaltending, and so far it has been decent/good.

All in all, at this point I don't really care if we win every night, as long as we keep our course steady for the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad