Pre-Game Talk: Week of California (@SJ x2, @LA x2)

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

BUT IT’S OK..
TDP-L-AVS-SHARKS_JAC1703x.jpg

also this...

Last edited:

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
Damn, pretty exciting. What if he plays so well they gotta keep him... did not expect this to be a development to watch down the stretch.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Big line
Newhook - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nichushkin - Jost - Donskoi
Sherwood - Bellemare - Compher
Yea, if (and hopefully when) Newhook gets a few looks, I think it would be wise to let him play his first games as a winger.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Big line
Newhook - Kadri - Burakovsky
Nichushkin - Jost - Donskoi
Sherwood - Bellemare - Compher
I like it. And as bad as Kadri has been, he’s still been more impactful than Soderberg.

I like Soda. I like that they acquired him. But not to replace anything that’s already there. Soda is the perfect “don’t get scored on” hockey player. A guy who goes out, plays low event hockey and rarely makes mistakes. He’s a perfect fill in option if somebody gets hurt to not disrupt chemistry but there’s no need to build an every day lineup around him. If the Avs are healthy I hope he’s no higher than the 14th forward on the depth chart.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
The ideal scenario for me would be to center Newhook with Nuke and Donskoi to compliment him with an incredible forechecker and a good facilitator, but it would be tough to take Jost off of that line. Regardless, if they don't give him some PP2 time they're not doing it right.

Reactions: jabubenice

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
The ideal scenario for me would be to center Newhook with Nuke and Donskoi to compliment him with an incredible forechecker and a good facilitator, but it would be tough to take Jost off of that line. Regardless if they don't give him some PP2 time they're not doing it right.
I’d leave Jost with Nuke and Dong. Put Newhook with Naz and Bura.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If you want him to be put in the best situation possible put him with Nuke and Jost. He couldn’t possibly be sheltered more with those two. The goal Newhook scored last night off the cycle is a situation he’ll find himself in very often with those two.

Plus that gives Kadri his old offensive linemates Donskoi and Burakovsky back which would hopefully get Naz going.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I like it. And as bad as Kadri has been, he’s still been more impactful than Soderberg.

I like Soda. I like that they acquired him. But not to replace anything that’s already there. Soda is the perfect “don’t get scored on” hockey player. A guy who goes out, plays low event hockey and rarely makes mistakes. He’s a perfect fill in option if somebody gets hurt to not disrupt chemistry but there’s no need to build an every day lineup around him. If the Avs are healthy I hope he’s no higher than the 14th forward on the depth chart.

I actually forgot about Soderberg lol.

But, yeah, I still might leave him out when Newhook draws in. Soda’s been ok, and I’d be fine with him on the 4th line. He’d probably be better than Bellemare at 4C, but faceoff ability will be considered.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
I’d leave Jost with Nuke and Dong. Put Newhook with Naz and Bura.

My problem with that is you should almost always insulate an incoming rookie and putting him up against 2nd line competition with a black hole as his centerman isn't exactly setting him up for success. Neither Kadri or Bura are good facilitators right now

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hopefully Newhook actually gets in a game and isn't just here as insurance or to skate with the team. It'd be surprising if he just sat because playing in the AHL would be more beneficial than that. Maybe he'll actually finish some of these great chances my boy Kadri has created the last few games.

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
If you want him to be put in the best situation possible put him with Nuke and Jost. He couldn’t possibly be sheltered more with those two. The goal Newhook scored last night off the cycle is a situation he’ll find himself in very often with those two.

Plus that gives Kadri his old offensive linemates Donskoi and Burakovsky back which would hopefully get Naz going.
I agree with this. Putting Newhook on Jost's line would put him in the best position to succeed. All that line really needs is a finisher and Jost has been making some nice plays lately that his wingers haven't been able to capitalize on.

But if he can find some chemistry with Kadri that would be huge... for Kadri. It shouldn't have come to this but it is what it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad