Pre-Game Talk: Week of California (@SJ x2, ANH x2)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Barrie was a long range threat because he could one-time the puck. We don’t have that rn. I agree that it does not absolutely need to be Weber-level but the point shot needs to be solid to be a concern. If it is a threat then the box can’t collapse as much and passing is easier. Relying on perfect passing, movement and timing is much harder when there is no point shot to consider. That’s all I’m saying. More tools/options means a better PP.
I see what you mean and think we’re on the same page here. A bomb isn’t what I’d say, but a consistent threat at getting the puck through traffic would be greatly needed and I’m sure Makar will improve that part of his game as time goes in.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wonder how soon will we start to see Avs fans back in the arena?

I noticed the other night Vegas and Pittsburgh now has fans in its arena, Columbus just announced today an increase to 25% capacity starting March 9th... We already had a number of teams with fans in the stands as well.

Gotta believe Colorado probably won't be too far behind here especially with vaccination efforts really starting to ramp up everywhere.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I wonder how soon will we start to see Avs fans back in the arena?

I noticed the other night Vegas and Pittsburgh now has fans in its arena, Columbus just announced today an increase to 25% capacity starting March 9th... We already had a number of teams with fans in the stands as well.

Gotta believe Colorado probably won't be too far behind here especially with vaccination efforts really starting to ramp up everywhere.

I wouldn't expect it this month... Colorado is less aggressive than some of those other states on opening things back up.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
According to KSE who has been working with CDPHE, Colorado has to get to a lower level on the "Covid dial" before KSE can even apply for an an exception for fans to enter the arena. The Rockies already have their exception because the requirements for an outdoor event were different than an indoor event.

It's frustrating seeing fans in other arenas because people know the risks at this point of going to an event like an Avs game. If they choose to go, that's their decision. The 65+ population in Colorado has had the opportunity to be fully-vaccinated as well as healthcare workers and teachers. We have to be able to get back to normal once the at-risk populations are vaccinated. Otherwise, there's no incentive for young people to get the vaccine at all if we aren't going to get back to normal sometime soon.

There were A TON of Avs fans in Arizona this past weekend, and a lot of them travelled to be able to go to the games. We're ready to get back in the Can.

Reactions: Breck Av

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I mean... Yes its a shortened season, but its also a season where literally every game is divisional. Avs still have 4 games left to play against Vegsas. Go 3-1 against Vegas in those 4 games, and we're tied with them again.

A 4 point gap is most definitely not out of reach.

That said, we do need to get our shit together soon. It's silly to think the Avs are going to win every single game, and I truly believe some fans on these boards have the expectation that we were going to go 56-0 this year and every loss is just a complete and utter failure. It's kind of funny to read honestly from the same posters every time we lose.

But yeah, they need to dig in and get to work a little bit more. It does seem like they have a bit of a tendency to just float along right now. IMO especially the body language of some guys on the ice, I think they're a little disinterested in the regular season hockey right now. No fans, playing the same 7 teams over and over again, and as a heavy cup favorite and(Should be) guaranteed lock for a playoff spot... Seems like guys are just disinterested and waiting for the real season to begin when the playoffs start.

And to an extent I get it. Given the circumstances of no fans in attendance and not the usual schedule of playing every team and traveling to every city its probably a lackluster year for some guys. No doubt some guys are just waiting for the playoffs or at least late in the season, to turn on the switch so to speak.

But they need to get there heads back in the game soon or all of a sudden that guaranteed playoff spot a lot of them think they have wont be so guaranteed.

I skip about 38 pages of most GDTs because of this. However, while I have no such expectations of going 56-0, I did allow my expectations to reach that of what we had during much of the 90s and the early 00s...and that is I expect us to win most every night. There wasn't a single team I feared going into this season. Now, I have the same feeling I used to get when the Avs lost. It's sinking feeling but not a ship is lost at sea feeling...but I am starting to have some concerns. As you have mentioned, getting to the net front and high danger areas...but more importantly, we still seem to be a team that isn't capable of using their speed to negate the physicality of some teams. St. Louis and the Knights worry me very much because of their style of play...not because of individual players themselves but because every player on those teams has bought into the physical side of the game and brings it. The Avs just can't handle the physical stuff yet and get hemmed in the D-zone way too much against them. I'm sure there is a stat-wacker out there that has some model to explain this but it is beyond me.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I skip about 38 pages of most GDTs because of this. However, while I have no such expectations of going 56-0, I did allow my expectations to reach that of what we had during much of the 90s and the early 00s...and that is I expect us to win most every night. There wasn't a single team I feared going into this season. Now, I have the same feeling I used to get when the Avs lost. It's sinking feeling but not a ship is lost at sea feeling...but I am starting to have some concerns. As you have mentioned, getting to the net front and high danger areas...but more importantly, we still seem to be a team that isn't capable of using their speed to negate the physicality of some teams. St. Louis and the Knights worry me very much because of their style of play...not because of individual players themselves but because every player on those teams has bought into the physical side of the game and brings it. The Avs just can't handle the physical stuff yet and get hemmed in the D-zone way too much against them. I'm sure there is a stat-wacker out there that has some model to explain this but it is beyond me.

I agree with your sentiment, but to be fair, there's a lot more parity in the league now than there was for the Avs when they feasted on teams in the 90's and early 2000's.

Not an excuse though. The Avs need to be better. Fortunately there's time for them to get back in the swing of things.

They're only about a third into the season and they're one point up on LA for the last playoff spot with a game in hand. Only five points back from first in the division, and three back from second. So things can change quickly if they go on a run.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Looking at the schedule the Avs have 9 straight home games. Only two of those games are against a team currently in a playoff spot.

This is a great opportunity to push up the standings. A 7-2 record on the home-stand should put them right with Vegas. Unless they stay scorching hot.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
G is having himself quite a season. 15 points in 18 games and his shot is looking quite dangerous now, plus he’s been real good defensively for the most part. That contract is gonna be a steal soon if it’s not already.

That shot last night was actually eye opening.

Like, he's not going to win any hardest shot competitions, but if he can keep getting his one timer through traffic and on net, he's going to score more goals.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
That shot last night was actually eye opening.

Like, he's not going to win any hardest shot competitions, but if he can keep getting his one timer through traffic and on net, he's going to score more goals.

Yeah, his last 2 goals have been just fantastic shots. I had been concerned a bit with his production and shot previous years but it looks like he’s turned a corner offensively. Doubt he gets any Norris consideration but very happy with him.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Anybody else here refreshing this and the injury thread a lot today, waiting to see any news on Mack, or Cale, or Byram, or EJ, or Calvert, or Francouz?

Gotta get something on somebody today right?

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I normally find Rudo annoying but this is pretty good

D3_ylP7UYAEaVWX.jpg

Reactions: Ararana

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Improved what? His wrist shot? Hardly. Its as weak as it is because of how comically short his stick is lol.

I definitely don't agree. He's let off a few rocket wristers lately. You saw that look he was giving at the beginning of last game? He's a man on a mission to improve and to win. Team MVP this year.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I definitely don't agree. He's let off a few rocket wristers lately. You saw that look he was giving at the beginning of last game? He's a man on a mission to improve and to win. Team MVP this year.
Of the things Girard has improved on between last season and this: Speed, Stamina, Flow.

Of the things Girard has not improved on between last season and this: Wrist shot, Height

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad