Pre-Game Talk: Week of California (@SJ x2, ANH x2)

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Maybe it is just me but it seems he has had problems handling the puck since he changed his stick.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Lol its for sure not Donskoi's. Mack has been experimenting with sticks a few times this season. He tried Eichels stick out for a few games then went back to his CCM. Warrior is fast with sending demo's to players as per Mark Scheiffele so looks like Mack's Warriors stick is his own. Had his name bar on it and everything.

Reactions: Balthazar

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

upload_2021-2-28_21-23-38.gif

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
They need to overcome that if they want to win a come.

Bednar needs to be a bit on the hot seat at this point. The team just doesn't look inspired to play right now or for most of the season for that matter.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
They haven't been consistantly solid at any point in the season, unacceptable for a contender.

That being said, the only thing that really matters is the playoff performance. Miss it or lose early and changes need to made.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
They were 4-0-1 right before Covid hit us. I'd say they were on the very of going on a nice run at that point even with the injuries piling up.

Last nights loss was ugly... Buy at the same time you have to look at the defense right now and kind of not be too surprised. Reneuf, MacDonald, Timmins make up half the Defense.

Mind you last night it was Mr. Graves that was exceptionally bad, but part of that also stems from him being asked to be the #3 guy on the back end when he should be the #5 or #6 guy.

We're just fighting a lot of injuries once again right now.

The growing concern for me, is this continuing trend the Avs have right now of winning the corsi battle, but struggling in the high danger scoring chances depatment.

Once again last night the Avs won the corsi battle 35-25 and especially in the 3rd period they were the better team in that regard. But they continue to struggle at getting the puck into the middle of the ice, and into high danger scoring areas.

It's a continuing trend that is a growing concern for me. Not sure if it's a systems thing or bad puck luck or what, our on ice shooting % is quite low so far this year as well and especially given the talent on this team you would have to think that will change eventually, but you never know.

Not even really sure what this team needs right now. Our Top 6 looks solid on paper, except for maybe replacing Kadri at 2C. Bottom 6 definitely needs worke however especially at 3C. One more Top 9 Center likely takes the pressures off Mack and Kadri a little which could free them up to start going better for us.

But the biggest thing we probably need right now is just for our Defense to get healthy again. We need Cale back first and foremost. Cale, EJ, and Bo would really help right now.

Oh and obviously we need goaltending help. I think what we are seeing here now is a perfect example of what overworking your starter will do.

Last edited:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Grubauer is coming back down to earth as well. Not blaming him at all, but it’s been a while since he’s really stolen one.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
They were 4-0-1 right before Covid hit us. I'd say they were on the very of going on a nice run at that point even with the injuries piling up.

Last nights loss was ugly... Buy at the same time you have to look at the defense right now and kind of not be too surprised. Reneuf, MacDonald, Timmins make up half the Defense.

Mind you last night it was Mr. Graves that was exceptionally bad, but part of that also stems from him being asked to be the #3 guy on the back end when he should be the #5 or #6 guy.

We're just fighting a lot of injuries once again right now.

The growing concern for me, is this continuing trend the Avs have right now of winning the corsi battle, but struggling in the high danger scoring chances depatment.

Once again last night the Avs one the corsi battle 35-25 and especially in the 3rd period they were the better team in that regard. But they continue to struggle at getting the puck into the middle of the ice, and into high danger scoring areas.

It's a continuing trend that is a growing concern for me. Not sure if it's a systems thing or bad puck luck or what, our on ice shooting % is quite low so far this year as well and especially given the talent on this team you would have to think that will change eventually, but you never know.

Not even really sure what this team needs right now. Our Top 6 looks solid on paper, except for maybe replacing Kadri at 2C. Bottom 6 definitely needs worke however especially at 3C. One more Top 9 Center likely takes the pressures off Mack and Kadri a little which could free them up to start going better for us.

But the biggest thing we probably need right now is just for our Defense to get healthy again. We need Cale back first and foremost. Cale, EJ, and Bo would really help right now.

Oh and obviously we need goaltending help. I think what we are seeing here now is a perfect example of what overworking your starter will do.

Maybe Corsi isn’t a great stat?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
upload_2021-3-2_7-41-7.png

With the shortened season, the #1 seed is looking pretty out of reach right now. I don't believe in Minnesota at all, I'm sure they'll come back down to earth. But the Blues will get healthy soon. The Avs really can't afford to be throwing away games against teams like the Sharks. Even missing Makar and Byram, that was a bad loss.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Maybe Corsi isn’t a great stat?

....Thats literally the point I was making. Corsi by itself is not a good stat. Corsi when used with other stats such as xGF/xGA and scoring chances is a solid stat however.

And the Avs are a good example right now of why its a poor stat by itself and a good example of why the Avs play is somewhat concerning right now. Very similar to Carolina from the past few years that used to dominate teams in shot attempts every night, but they would literally throw the puck on net from anywhere and didn't generate nearly as much quality chances. Avs seem to be doing a lot of the same right now. I think it stems from having such a dynamic defensive group that we're cycling to the points and taking shots from the points a lot more currently... But the forwards are doing a very poor job at getting on rebound or getting on loose pucks to create 2nd and 3rd opportunities from those point shots.

I also think the Defenders, some of them anyway, are having a harder time getting shots through from the point on net compared to last year.

Reactions: CharlesPuck

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
View attachment 402306

With the shortened season, the #1 seed is looking pretty out of reach right now. I don't believe in Minnesota at all, I'm sure they'll come back down to earth. But the Blues will get healthy soon. The Avs really can't afford to be throwing away games against teams like the Sharks. Even missing Makar and Byram, that was a bad loss.

I mean... Yes its a shortened season, but its also a season where literally every game is divisional. Avs still have 4 games left to play against Vegsas. Go 3-1 against Vegas in those 4 games, and we're tied with them again.

A 4 point gap is most definitely not out of reach.

That said, we do need to get our shit together soon. It's silly to think the Avs are going to win every single game, and I truly believe some fans on these boards have the expectation that we were going to go 56-0 this year and every loss is just a complete and utter failure. It's kind of funny to read honestly from the same posters every time we lose.

But yeah, they need to dig in and get to work a little bit more. It does seem like they have a bit of a tendency to just float along right now. IMO especially the body language of some guys on the ice, I think they're a little disinterested in the regular season hockey right now. No fans, playing the same 7 teams over and over again, and as a heavy cup favorite and(Should be) guaranteed lock for a playoff spot... Seems like guys are just disinterested and waiting for the real season to begin when the playoffs start.

And to an extent I get it. Given the circumstances of no fans in attendance and not the usual schedule of playing every team and traveling to every city its probably a lackluster year for some guys. No doubt some guys are just waiting for the playoffs or at least late in the season, to turn on the switch so to speak.

But they need to get there heads back in the game soon or all of a sudden that guaranteed playoff spot a lot of them think they have wont be so guaranteed.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Grubauer is coming back down to earth as well. Not blaming him at all, but it’s been a while since he’s really stolen one.
I mean they guy is getting worked pretty hard here. The dude needs a backup that isn't a beer leaguer so he can get some rest.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I mean they guy is getting worked pretty hard here. The dude needs a backup that isn't a beer leaguer so he can get some rest.

I agree. We can’t expect him to play 50-plus games this year, and succeed. Sakic needs to do something.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I mean you can blame the defence for allowing five goals, but yesterday was a track meet where the Avs offence didn't show up as well. The Avs could've easily scored six goals themselves if they capitalised on their chances; Sharks gave the Avs a lot of freebies and walk ins on Jones. With the defence, you can see what's going on with the injuries to Byram, Johnson, and Makar. This is a perfect example of already knowing how to fix that issue, how do you fix the offence and why that's much more of a concern to me?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad