Pre-Game Talk: Week of Blues, East Coast, and AHL Lineups (STL, @CAR, @WSH)

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
A live look at the Avs locker room:

LT Injured.jpg

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Does anyone happen to have a clip that actually shows a good angle on the Mikko hit on de Haan?

I've seen numerous people say he blew the guy up, but it looks like Calvin took a bad fall not a huge hit. I mean, I know the Moose is stronger than he looks but from this angle, it just looks...weird, like de Hann lost an edge.

Oh, Baugh had what I thought was a really interesting tidbit on faceoffs in his recent roundup style column.

7. Though he’s a winger, Rantanen sometimes takes draws instead of MacKinnon, the center. Bednar said the players discuss it and decide what to do during the game. Rantanen has had success on the left side, so he’ll often take draws there, though MacKinnon will, too, if he’s having success. Bednar isn’t involved in the decision of who is in the circle for what faceoff.​
“I don’t have to do that,” he said. “I’ve got enough things to worry about besides if Mikko or MacK want to take the draw.”​
I've often wondered how much emphasis the Avs place on faceoffs because we've kinda been a joke at them from time to time. Had to laugh at his "I've got enough things to worry about besides if Mikko or MacK want to take the draw."

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Faceoffs really only situationally matter. Shorthanded and defensive zone faceoffs are most important... then PP. Beyond those, they don't really matter all that much.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Faceoffs really only situationally matter. Shorthanded and defensive zone faceoffs are most important... then PP. Beyond those, they don't really matter all that much.

Yep... Its why the faceoff stat itself is essentially useless and shows zero correlation to team success. Doesn't matter one bit whether you're a 40% team or a 60% team(Let alone how slim a margin those numbers are in the first place). Only thing that matters is certain specific faceoff scenarios.

Personally I'd even argue the Defensive/Shorthanded/PP faceoffs dont really matter much either. Late game situations where you're up a goal or trying to tie a game, sure.

IMO it is far more important to simply win the battles immediately preceding a faceoff then the actual faceoff. Puck possession in the offensive zone does off a faceoff win does not guarantee a good scoring chance. Just like winning a defensive zone faceoff certainly does not guarantee a zone exit.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's not great that we've had like three straight days of Bednar being asked Newhook questions and him voicing his displeasure. Nothing he's saying is incorrect but he'll often just sidestep or give some vague answer rather than talking about a specific player's performance. Not in this case.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's not great that we've had like three straight days of Bednar being asked Newhook questions and him voicing his displeasure. Nothing he's saying is incorrect but he'll often just sidestep or give some vague answer rather than talking about a specific player's performance. Not in this case.

I'll only slightly disagree in that I feel he's usually pretty blunt and honest about his displeasure with a given player's performance when asked, but last night was new in that he went into detail as to why Newhook got benched. Usually it's just "performance-based."

I like that he followed up with that today by saying he went over some video with the kid, and said it's his job as HC to get him to realize his potential.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Faceoffs don't matter until they matter a ton in key situations late in periods, late in games, and on the PK in the playoffs.

So many lost faceoffs have played a big part in late goals and losses over the years and by extension playoff elimations. Same with faceoffs won.

Somewhat often an entire season can boil down to a late game facoeff of some sort. Faceoffs didn't matter much up until that point, but nothing the team did prior to that mattered as much as that faceoff either.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Are we going into a 3-game trip with the bare minimum of players? Any recovering injured players (ie Girard) also making the trip?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad