Pre-Game Talk: Week of a fat old guy breaking and entering (@VGK, CHI)

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I actually don't mind blowing up the top line for a game or two. The TEAM has shown it's not really getting it done right now. I believe you've got to do something to bolster the team. If a trade is not forthcoming, that means using the pieces you have to try and spark a second line to something other than garbage time goals every fifth game.

Again, I am only in favor of doing this for a couple of games to try and get something started. If it doesn't work after two or three, you stack the top line and absolutely must look at a trade unless you plan on swinging for the fences on July 1.

I just don't like our chances on 7/1 as there will be 30 other teams trying to either sign or resign the player in question. There is no guarantee a stud FA top-six winger wants to play for the AVs....when the money is all the same to them, things like travel can play a factor. Colorado has a pretty long flight list history...not the worst but no where near as nice as many other teams. Yes, it is a beautiful place to live and probably a great one to have a family in....but for an outsider, i'm not sure they know that right away...that's why trading for your UFA right now might make sense....It gives them a few months to see the area and get a feel for the local.

If I was Sakic, I would be on the phone with Dorion talking Stone. The AVs first is the main piece of the trade with a catch....if Stone resigns with the AVs before the end of the playoffs, it would become the Sens' first going back.

That's probably the only deal i would make involving the sens first.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
You know what I find interesting? All of this craziness doing crap like putting Neato with MacK and Mikko, and Bednar still won't f***ing try using Soda as the #2C lol.

Your six most skilled guys are easily MacK, Mikko, Landy, Compher, Soda, and Kerfoot. Why don't you blend that up instead of trying some whack job shit like playing Neato on the top line. If you really need someone like Compher to center the third line. Well then you f***ing us someone with more skill up there like Ghetto. Or at the very least pair those guys off all the way through and let the grinders fall where they fit best.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
He may as well put Bourque with Mack and Rants. That just makes no sense, I think Bednar got into to a little too much of the eggnog over the holidays. Try Kerfoot there ffs.

Reactions: McMetal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He may as well put Bourque with Mack and Rants. That just makes no sense, I think Bednar got into to a little too much of the eggnog over the holidays. Try Kerfoot there ffs.

I think he's trying to create balance on the lines as much as he can without breaking Mack and Rants duo. Moving an offensive black hole like Nieto with your best duo leaves a better offensive player like Kerfoot for another line.

I'd have still prefered Ghetto though. He's not doing shit anyway with lesser players and there's at least some potential on the top line unlike Nieto.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think he's trying to create balance on the lines as much as he can without breaking Mack and Rants duo. Moving an offensive black hole like Nieto with your best duo leaves a better offensive player like Kerfoot for another line.

I'd have still prefered Ghetto though. He's not doing **** anyway with lesser players and there's at least some potential on the top line unlike Nieto.
My thoughts exactly with Ghetto. Hes also shown chemistry with Nathan in the past.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I do get what he’s doing, I think he wants a similar presence to Lando there for balance like mentioned, but Nieto isn’t nearly as talented as Lando and is gonna make that line really weak. I’d rather have Kerfoot or even Ghetto with Mack and Rants and run a 2nd line of Lando-Soda-JTC . 2 strong lines and 2 weaker lines makes more sense than making a weaker top line, a decent 2nd line and 2 weaker lines

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
This team someday will have a good coach, that's all I can say.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
This team someday will have a good coach, that's all I can say.
I thought they already had one but starting with the training camp (again injuries, exhausted players in the season opener) I've been questioning that more and more. Can't forget how good this team has been under him at times, though. That wasn't all only because of MacKinnon and Rantanen or because of Landeskog's and EJ's leadership.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I thought they already had one but starting with the training camp (again injuries, exhausted players in the season opener) I've been questioning that more and more. Can't forget how good this team has been under him at times, though. That wasn't all only because of MacKinnon and Rantanen or because of Landeskog's and EJ's leadership.
They've played some good games under Bednar that's for sure, but for the most part they've been relying heavily on the top line to win them games, and they are still playing unstable and unstructured hockey IMO. Not to mention the inability to win situational games, meaning they cant win games in OT, or beat teams they're supposed to beat, or win games after long breaks etc...etc...and all that is mainly on the coach IMO

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Yes, not putting skilled wingers with Soder is maddening but if we don't have the personnel, we don't have the personnel...how is that Bednar's fault?

I personally don't like the wait approach. Minus dealing OTT's 1st...I wan't that second line solidified and I feel we have pieces to make that happen besides getting rid of OTT 1st and Makar. Maybe I'm impatient.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yes, not putting skilled wingers with Soder is maddening but if we don't have the personnel, we don't have the personnel...how is that Bednar's fault?

I personally don't like the wait approach. Minus dealing OTT's 1st...I wan't that second line solidified and I feel we have pieces to make that happen besides getting rid of OTT 1st and Makar. Maybe I'm impatient.
I feel like we have to keep certain pieces to preserve the window once it actually opens. That's beside Makar and the OTT 1st. But they do have plenty of prospects to do something. Sakic's gotta be smart but at the same we need him to be a bit aggressive, which is a difficult place.

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
I feel like we have to keep certain pieces to preserve the window once it actually opens. That's beside Makar and the OTT 1st. But they do have plenty of prospects to do something. Sakic's gotta be smart but at the same we need him to be a bit aggressive, which is a difficult place.

For sure, it's definitely not as simple as I made it sound but I think Sakic needs to be a little more aggressive here a la Yzerman even though that's not his MO. I hate feeling like we are wasting Mack Rants Hart/Ross-like seasons. Jamie Benn also won an Art Ross....

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
For sure, it's definitely not as simple as I made it sound but I think Sakic needs to be a little more aggressive here a la Yzerman even though that's not his MO. I hate feeling like we are wasting Mack Rants Hart/Ross-like seasons. Jamie Benn also won an Art Ross....

Yeah that's why the Hayes discussion has been so hot. Its people that want an aggressive move without breaking the bank against people that want to be more patient.

Some of the ways we've been losing directly point to the top line being over worked, and a lot of middle of the roster guys in over their heads. Compher and Kerfoot have both done an admirable job this season but they can't usually carry the line when saddled with a third or fourth liner.

One legit top six forward would have a trickle down effect on the entire forward group IMO.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Yeah that's why the Hayes discussion has been so hot. Its people that want an aggressive move without breaking the bank against people that want to be more patient.

Some of the ways we've been losing directly point to the top line being over worked, and a lot of middle of the roster guys in over their heads. Compher and Kerfoot have both done an admirable job this season but they can't usually carry the line when saddled with a third or fourth liner.

One legit top six forward would have a trickle down effect on the entire forward group IMO.

Completely agree. Just one top 6 forward would allow the top line some breathing room and give us a legit 2nd line with Kerfoot and JTC, while keeping the bottom 6 players in the bottom 6.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They keep using Soda in an almost exclusively defensive role and not only is it a waste of his offensive talents but it's also not a good fit for him. I'd even go as far as to say he also isn't that great a penalty killer. They need to try someone else on that third line and see if they can jumpstart some reliable secondary scoring by putting Soda where he belongs.

Overall this team isn't utilizing a good defensive philosophy at all. They're more concerned about blocking shots than they are in getting in passing lanes and playing physical hockey. It's maddening to watch.

I've slagged Patrick Roy a lot on these boards but he remains the only NHL coach who knew how to use Carl Soderberg properly.

Reactions: McMetal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What a shit week.

Dallas is now 2 pts behind us and owns the last wildcard spot. Yay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad