Pre-Game Talk: Week of a fat old guy breaking and entering (@VGK, CHI)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
- A real 2nd line
- Calvert and Nieto to figure out how the **** to score on all of Soderberg's passes
- Tyson Barrie to figure his **** out
- Please god don't let this be the best of EJ
- Ian Cole to stop sucking
- Goalies to just be league average
- Consistent health for the top line

Found the only child who's used to have 13 gifts under the tree.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Tough way to go into the break but overall I'm happy with where they're at. They're sitting 9th in the league, 3rd in the division, only two points behind the 2nd place Preds, and five points ahead of the 4th place Stars. On the other end of the standings, the Sens are the 6th worst team in the league based on points and three of the teams below them have games in hand. Not perfect because I feel like the Avs should be better positioned but coming into the season all I wanted was a playoff spot and a top five pick and it's pretty damn close to that 37 games in.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Goaltending fixes a lot of shit. If I've got one wish it's that our goaltending becomes amazing now and in the future. Either by comity or someone stepping up.

If I've got two, it's Stone or Hayes. Not picky either way.

The reason that's #2, is because if our goalies suck it is not going to matter what we do. I guess I could ask for Stone as #1 though as long as it includes an immediate extension and does not involve losing Makar or the Ottawa pick.

Don't @ me, these are wishes bitches

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
My wish is for one 2nd line forward to take the pressure off of the top line so they can play less minutes and for the defense to get it together again.

I'll go with this wish too. Top line already starting to look burnt out, I can't imagine what they will look like in April if they have to keep this up with no help.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
What’s your Avs related Christmas list?

Du_NZVhVAAAa5TH

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Went to the Sharks vs. Yotes games tonight. Makes me feel better about the Avs losing to the Coyotes. AZ did an admirable job against the Sharks.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
All I want for the avs is to exit next summer with legitimate title aspirations & a window that extends through the great roster cull of 2023.

Whatever combination of signing Hayes & Silfvy, Panarin or Stone; getting Hughes or Kakko with the OTT pick; trading for Zibby, Radu or Tank, etc.; it ends up being that gets us there.

I'm fine with Joe sitting on his hands this season since I don't see any single move getting us into the Central division finals; but Joe needs to be laying the groundwork for the summer.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Been super busy the past 6-7 days so I've missed most of this last losing streak. Seems like Christmas came at the right time this season. And most of the teams around us have been losing too recently so no one has gained too much ground on each other in the division. We are set up pretty well for the rest of the season considering everything.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
This summer is when we need to really start making big moves. Mack on his sweetheart deal, Mikko long term extension kicking in, Landy at his prime, Girard progressing, Makar/maybe Timmins/OTT pick should be making an appearance in the next year or maybe 2, need to start getting more solid depth at both forward and D.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
This summer is when we need to really start making big moves. Mack on his sweetheart deal, Mikko long term extension kicking in, Landy at his prime, Girard progressing, Makar/maybe Timmins/OTT pick should be making an appearance in the next year or maybe 2, need to start getting more solid depth at both forward and D.

The blueline doesn’t worry me at all once Makar is there. EJ’s slowing down, so getting out of his contract will be a concern down the road, and Zads & Barrie’s contracts add some uncertainty...at least until the summer... but if Zads signs for Cole money or less & Barrie’s bump will be reasonable; then I’ll feel good about our potential to roll 3 good pairings throughout our window...even if we need Meloche or Timmins to replace EJ or Cole at some point.

And I like our forward depth if we can add a star to anchor the 2nd line around like Tara, Radu, Hughes, Kakko or even Zibby; or 2 higher end 2nd line guys like Hayes & Silfvy. Soda is one of the best 3Cs in the NHL, and with Kam / Bowers we should have a great 4c & serious competition to succeed soda on the 3rd line when his contract expires. With Jost, Kaut, Shvyry, Jimmothy, Weiss, Kerfoot, Greer, Kovalenko, Ranta, there’s a lot of young wingers with middle 6 talent...the first 3 having legit scoring line talent & Jimmothy / Weiss not being far off from genuine 2nd line skill.

Reactions: HartKinnon

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The blueline doesn’t worry me at all once Makar is there. EJ’s slowing down, so getting out of his contract will be a concern down the road, and Zads & Barrie’s contracts add some uncertainty...at least until the summer... but if Zads signs for Cole money or less & Barrie’s bump will be reasonable; then I’ll feel good about our potential to roll 3 good pairings throughout our window...even if we need Meloche or Timmins to replace EJ or Cole at some point.

And I like our forward depth if we can add a star to anchor the 2nd line around like Tara, Radu, Hughes, Kakko or even Zibby; or 2 higher end 2nd line guys like Hayes & Silfvy. Soda is one of the best 3Cs in the NHL, and with Kam / Bowers we should have a great 4c & serious competition to succeed soda on the 3rd line when his contract expires. With Jost, Kaut, Shvyry, Jimmothy, Weiss, Kerfoot, Greer, Kovalenko, Ranta, there’s a lot of young wingers with middle 6 talent...the first 3 having legit scoring line talent & Jimmothy / Weiss not being far off from genuine 2nd line skill.
Very true. Ever since Hench mentioned if we don't start winning some rounds MacKinnon might leave, it's left a seed of worry in my gut :laugh: so we need to start building a contender asap.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Very true. Ever since Hench mentioned if we don't start winning some rounds MacKinnon might leave, it's left a seed of worry in my gut :laugh: so we need to start building a contender asap.

No doubt, but I also don’t think we need all that much to become a contender other than Cale & that 2nd scoring line. If we can add that without gutting our pipeline then I think we have a serious contender with the flexibility to make tweaks & the young talent to keep it going even after the salary cull that’ll have to happen before the 2023-2024 season...if Joe can successfully play the sell-off RFAs you won’t be able to afford for futures to keep rolling into ELC-contributors, game.

Last edited:

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
The thing that concerns me the most is goaltending. We've seen how badly that can cripple an otherwise solid team (St. Louis, Calgary, Philly)

Varly won't be back, Grubauer is a question mark whether he can actually be a legit #1, and Frank is also a question mark. Though I do like him a lot.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
The thing that concerns me the most is goaltending. We've seen how badly that can cripple an otherwise solid team (St. Louis, Calgary, Philly)

Varly won't be back, Grubauer is a question mark whether he can actually be a legit #1, and Frank is also a question mark. Though I do like him a lot.

We could potentially lose both Varly and Frank though if Frank doesn’t get some starts at some point.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
I wouldn't mind Mack to Boston and I can become a Bruins fan:naughty:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
My Avs Christmas list for the rest of the year:

- Kevin Hayes
- Tyson Barrie to get his shit together
- Francouz getting his extended opportunity at an NHL gig
- Mack and Mikko breaking 100 points, and Mack getting the Art Ross
- Jimothy Timmothy continue his climb towards being a legit Top 6 forward
- Ottawa to finish bottom 5
- Playoff Birth with home ice in the first round(This is probably the toughest one to come true given our division)

Seriously did not realize Compher was now at 15 points in 21 games. Even after his hot start with 7 in 7 he's still got 8 in 14 since then.

Keep this up and it's huge for our 2nd line search to have 1 spot filled internally.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->