Pre-Game Talk: Week of 2020 | vs WPG, vs STL, @NJ

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
5 on 5 is where playoff hockey is won.

PP and PK need improvement but our 5 on 5 play leaves us in a very good spot come playoff time.

On an unrelated note. 41 games in, 41 games to go. 26 of our remaining 41 games are against non playoff teams. That includes games against Ottawa(×2), Detroit(×2), LA(×3), Anaheim(×2), and Sharks(×3)

That's a lot of games against real bad teams. We had a tough first half schedule honestly. And Mack still dominated. Now in the 2nd half of the year he'll get a chance to potentially feast on some real weak Defense groups.

I think he could hit 120 points this year

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Also, this is actually kind of nuts but.... The Avs only have 4 road games left this year against current playoff teams.

The Islanders on Monday are one. The Flyers February 1st is another one. The Hurricanes February 28th is a 3rd game. And finally the Jets on March 27th is the last one.

Now theres a few road games against some bubble teams that are currently just outside. Like Nashville, Minnesota, and Columbus.

But man, the Avs schedule is light the 2nd half of the year. So long as we keep playing good, hard hockey we could go on a big 2nd half run and go into the playoffs with all kinds of confidence.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
And if you're watching the Mack Hart/Art race, Edmonton is on the wrong end of the Strength of Schedule chart.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Gigantic LOL at the Red Wings for having an easy schedule and still being so far in last place.

Galaxy sized LOL at the Red Wings for having the hardest remaining schedule in the NHL. Maybe they'll break our suck record this year.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Gigantic LOL at the Red Wings for having an easy schedule and still being so far in last place.

Galaxy sized LOL at the Red Wings for having the hardest remaining schedule in the NHL. Maybe they'll break our suck record this year.

I heard a while back Steve Y was complaining about the lottery odds. Join the f***ing club, Steve.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Also, this is actually kind of nuts but.... The Avs only have 4 road games left this year against current playoff teams.

The Islanders on Monday are one. The Flyers February 1st is another one. The Hurricanes February 28th is a 3rd game. And finally the Jets on March 27th is the last one.

Now theres a few road games against some bubble teams that are currently just outside. Like Nashville, Minnesota, and Columbus.

But man, the Avs schedule is light the 2nd half of the year. So long as we keep playing good, hard hockey we could go on a big 2nd half run and go into the playoffs with all kinds of confidence.
This might not be a plus though as the team might go into the playoffs too confident about themselves.

This team also has a tendency to play at the level of the other teams so playing weak teams might bring down their own level of play. If they can avoid that and keep their play to a high level that might go a long way in resting our top players down the stretch in preparation for the playoffs.

Hornstar

Feb 3, 2018
This might not be a plus though as the team might go into the playoffs too confident about themselves.

This team also has a tendency to play at the level of the other teams so playing weak teams might bring down their own level of play. If they can avoid that and keep their play to a high level that might go a long way in resting our top players down the stretch in preparation for the playoffs.
I'll take the weaker schedule going into the playoffs. Keep minutes down a bit and hopefully our goalers with confidence.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
5 on 5 is where playoff hockey is won.

PP and PK need improvement but our 5 on 5 play leaves us in a very good spot come playoff time.

On an unrelated note. 41 games in, 41 games to go. 26 of our remaining 41 games are against non playoff teams. That includes games against Ottawa(×2), Detroit(×2), LA(×3), Anaheim(×2), and Sharks(×3)

That's a lot of games against real bad teams. We had a tough first half schedule honestly. And Mack still dominated. Now in the 2nd half of the year he'll get a chance to potentially feast on some real weak Defense groups.

I think he could hit 120 points this year

giphy.gif

------

Honestly though I'm kinda over the Detroit rivalry. It made for some great storylines when I was a kid, and in the end we ended up with roughly the same amount of series wins - they broke our hearts and we broke theirs back. But I've always been a Stevie Y fan and I think he's going to turn that franchise around - a good Detroit team is good for the league

Minnesota can still f*** off, I'm not over that one

I wonder if Sweet Lou will be our new rivalry

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
On an unrelated note. 41 games in, 41 games to go. 26 of our remaining 41 games are against non playoff teams. That includes games against Ottawa(×2), Detroit(×2), LA(×3), Anaheim(×2), and Sharks(×3)r
Thing is, Avs don't really have a history of "win against bad teams and lose against good teams". I'd not count on that.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'll take the weaker schedule going into the playoffs. Keep minutes down a bit and hopefully our goalers with confidence.
Of course I'll take the weaker as well. I was just pointing that sometimes it can play against you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad