NCAA GDT: Week 9: The Matt Rhule edition

Sep 19, 2008
Frank is a legend. Frank built this program from basically nothing into something with his bare hands. He deserves to go out on his own terms. With declining results year after year and the end of a long-ass period where the Hokies pretty much won 10 games regularly and were constantly in contention for the ACC Coastal, something had to be done.

I'm sad he's going. But in some ways this had to happen. The rest of the ACC had caught up. Duke was getting better and better. Pittsburgh isn't bad at all. UNC looks good. It's not a cakewalk through the ACC anymore. It's not Tyrod going undefeated in ACC play anymore. It's different.

I don't know if Bud Foster should be the coach, I don't know who we should hire. I think this transition is pretty smooth and it didn't seem like there was any bad blood whatsoever. Other transitions have been a bit shaky, Ralph Friedgen - James Franklin, and sometimes the coach doesn't like it (see Bowden). Frank should step away at the end with class. He did a great job here. But his time was fading.

We shouldn't continue our focus on defense. Defense is good but offense has always been an issue. Beamerball faded out some years ago. Time to fire up that offense and really open it up. That being said, Rich Rod is not the answer. A bright young offensive mind paired with someone who can run the defensive side of things, that would reinvigorate this program.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
UF stays at 12 in coaches poll...so much for SEC bias...ND and Stanford struggled...

Those guys love ND just as much as the SEC. Stanford is kind of akward. But theyre probably only ahead because they might win the pac 12. while florida is probably #3 or lower

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Technically but if you recall Will Grier was suspended the Monday of that game and he was on fire. I don't think anyone saw the backup being decent enough to score anything on that D

Probably skeptical, but it's not like Treon Harris is some nobody, he came in and helped win games last year. I know you're making your case, but it's not there

Sep 19, 2008
If Hokies Hire Fuentes watch the **** out. Him or toledo Ben Campbell.

Whit already with a strong hire with Buzz Williams. Make it two for two lad.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Probably skeptical, but it's not like Treon Harris is some nobody, he came in and helped win games last year. I know you're making your case, but it's not there

He's serviceable but just doesn't have the ceiling Grier does. Treon played about as well as he could against LSU but the last two drives showed his limitations if he has to make plays with his arm to win a game. I think there's a clear difference between the two, but Grier was inconsistent too so it's not a huge difference. UF should be able to go at worst 10-3 before bowl season, but don't think they'll win in Atlanta with him. It's not the end of the world though if he falters there, this season has already exceeded expectations. Any more success this year like beating FSU or winning the conference is just gravy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad