NCAA GDT: Week 8

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He'll get better but I just don't see the flashes you see from big time freshman QB's as a passer.

Right. Absolute best case for Hurts is that he matures in to a game manager that won't beat his own team. But I've seen guys that washed out after their first year or two that looked significantly better then he has to date. What he does have going for him now is simply the fact that he's a Bama QB which means he won't lose even a fraction as much as he should be losing.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Outside of Alabama last year, those teams had competent QB play.

Was posted as a rebuttal to the argument that they don't play good defense as a whole. It's all relative, I mean, when you have QB's combined for 1300 yards and 12 touchdowns in 1 game in the Big 12.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Right. Absolute best case for Hurts is that he matures in to a game manager that won't beat his own team. But I've seen guys that washed out after their first year or two that looked significantly better then he has to date. What he does have going for him now is simply the fact that he's a Bama QB which means he won't lose even a fraction as much as he should be losing.

He'll be fine.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
JT isn't a great passer. They don't have a vertical threat. Thats what hurts them.
He is a good passer, he's a terrible passer in the Tebow set. If you tried to make Tom Brady run the Tim Tebow offense he'd also look like a terrible passer, it's Urban's specialty but it's years outdated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGRgb3Kek5U
Last week (1:46) look at this play for example. He drifts past the left hash, if you watch his eyes he comes off two reads, he drifts to avoid the NT, sets his feet on the right half of the field and throws a pass from the left half to the right sideline 43 yards down the field. Earlier in the game he did the same thing with Marcus Baugh for 29 yards, throwing from right center to right sideline. Also had a 23-24 when the play broke down to Samuel, if you watched the pre-game you would have seen it, he was horse-collared, read the field again. Another play against Rutgers he was reading Baugh but came off him under pressure to throw a strike. Think even in this Penn State game he had one I believe it was to Brown.

Straight vertical routes, only receiver that can run them on the roster is Brown, he had a few nice ones in the Oklahoma game. You don't actually need that 60 yard vertical threat if you can develop the 20-50 yard range and JT Barrett is the best quarterback I've seen at making the reads necessary. In this offense however, the only reads they ask him to make are option reads and draw reads, and he's not athletic enough to break down better defenses with his 4.7 speed and lack of cutting skills., neither are Weber and Samuel. Thomas is gone, Elliott is gone, Taylor Decker is gone, if Ohio State wants to win they have to ride JT's ability to see the field, and find open receivers.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
That's his future. He's a clear WR conversion player. Late round pick / UDFA. He has a lot of upside if he can go that route. There was even talk of him converting at WVU if Crest ever became anything.

It'll depend on how he tests. If he puts up Edelman type measurables then maybe.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Fournette and Joe Williams for Utah were both backs who had missed chunks of the season and came back looking unstoppable.

Williams 'retired' because he felt his body was being worn out by the sport. He comes back after a month off and he looks great. Fournette in the last games before he sat out already looked like a shadow of himself, and now he comes back after some time off and looks like a NFL starter.

In the NFL only two backs average 20 or more carries a game so far this year, in college there's a few in every conference. Both Fournette and Williams are among them. Fournette yesterday stayed under his average and shared duties with Guice to great effect.

Are many college coaches ruining good running backs by overuse? Jim Harbaugh is a great believer in the rotation of backs and being a starter for Harbaugh means getting 10 carries. It seems that's the way the game in general should be going.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
Has Gameday ever gone to the same place twice in 3 weeks? I guess it's possible that they'd consider it but I think the second time would have to be special circumstances like a 1 vs 2 match-up or something.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Washington had zero problems with Oregon State yesterday. 21-0 after the 1st quarter, 31-0 at half time. 41-17 final. Sadly the stadium practically emptied after the 3rd quarter. Probably not enough to get past Clemson but will be #4 thanks to tOSU.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
Everyone wants to see a "good game" with both teams showing heart and trying - that keeps fans in the stands. But you want to clown-pound your opponent so you move up in the rankings. It's a paradox.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I thought PSU would get into the rankings somewhere. Interesting if WMU runs the table. UVA / NW going to get destroyed. I'll take Utah over Washington...hate to see the Pac-12 remove itself from the CFP but it seems to be the trend this year.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I thought PSU would get into the rankings somewhere. Interesting if WMU runs the table. UVA / NW going to get destroyed. I'll take Utah over Washington...hate to see the Pac-12 remove itself from the CFP but it seems to be the trend this year.

psu is 24th in the AP. surprising they arent ranked in the coaches poll considering they just beat the 2 team in the country and their only losses are road games to a top michigan team and a 5-2 pittsburgh team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad