NFL GDT: Week 7

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
What Bill did tonight to Jones was damn cold. Mac was moving to ball decently and he rushed one throw and he got yanked.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I get all the hate but the Pats went to the POs last year, that wasn’t that long ago. Then you have the 11-5 year with Matt Cassel at QB, rebuilt the lowly Browns and took them to the PO too That’s at least 3 season off the top of my head. That 2008 season was remarkable too, they lost Brady and 1/2 that stud defense and still went 11-5.

I am also tired of everyone crediting those first three SBs to Brady. Those were defensive driven teams with Brady managing to not turn the ball over alot. It’s when Randy came that Brady became the QB he is today.

The patriots of last year had a fluke record in one score games and got completely outclassed when they made the playoffs.

Though, I do agree with those early SBs. Brady’s clutchness was crucial, but I think BB’s defense was the main reason.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Feels like Zappemania is over

Yeah dude I wouldn't speak too soon on this one. I was going to post Brady's game log from 2001, but it's actually better if you see it for yourself.

The defense entirely won those games that season. 115 yards in the AFCCG and 145 yards in the Super Bowl. Four games counting the playoffs where Brady threw for 250 yards that season. That's it. The obvious problem that would explain why both of their QB's looked bad here is that they don't have a QB coach. Being forced to change QB coaches when a QB is in their second year is bad enough but not replacing him with a real QB coach is catastrophic.

The Patriots are not that good of a team, but Zappe made some great throws on his first two drives. The problem is that they do not have an offensive mind who is capable of adjusting to the defensive adjustments that other teams make. And these guys are too inexperienced to do that themselves.

Reactions: Barnum

Barnum

Aug 28, 2014
‘Murica Ex-Pat - UK
Yeah dude I wouldn't speak too soon on this one. I was going to post Brady's game log from 2001, but it's actually better if you see it for yourself.

The defense entirely won those games that season. 115 yards in the AFCCG and 145 yards in the Super Bowl. Four games counting the playoffs where Brady threw for 250 yards that season. That's it. The obvious problem that would explain why both of their QB's looked bad here is that they don't have a QB coach. Being forced to change QB coaches when a QB is in their second year is bad enough but not replacing him with a real QB coach is catastrophic.

The Patriots are not that good of a team, but Zappe made some great throws on his first two drives. The problem is that they do not have an offensive mind who is capable of adjusting to the defensive adjustments that other teams make. And these guys are too inexperienced to do that themselves.
I was going to do the same and pull out Brady games from that up and down first season but decided I am wasn’t going to argue with the convinced. It’s either you hate The Belly or hate Brady and it’s easier to bag on Belichick than Brady at the moment, so the Patriot haters go for Belichick.

I land in the middle on this one. They both needed each other and won together. Anyone pushing the TB super bowl win as proof Belichick needed Brady is calling pyrite, gold. What Brady did going down to TB was not impressive, TB was one single QB away from winning the year before, Brady filled that role on an outstanding defensive team with offensive weapons all around him.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
What Bill did tonight to Jones was damn cold. Mac was moving to ball decently and he rushed one throw and he got yanked.
Bill is a economics major. Through that education. He probably learned about sunk costs. That's part of the reason why he's kicked many to the curb coldly...even Tom Brady was intended to be axed for Jimmy Garappolo.

Despite all public statements to the contrary...Zappe is now the guy and Mac...will be on a new team eventually.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Brady wasn’t the Brady we know today until Randy Moss showed up, and then he unlocked his super powers. He had never thrown 30 touchdowns and then went to 50, and only had 1 4000-yard season. That was age 30 and after 3 Super Bowls.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It’s just crazy talk how fans are so impatient with young players especially QBs. This board is no exception. Guys with less than a dozen NFL starts and they aren’t playing well and fans are ready to label guys not NFL QBs.
I am just using a dozen games as a example, but fans sometimes need to step back and look at the big picture.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It’s just crazy talk how fans are so impatient with young players especially QBs. This board is no exception. Guys with less than a dozen NFL starts and they aren’t playing well and fans are ready to label guys not NFL QBs.
I am just using a dozen games as a example, but fans sometimes need to step back and look at the big picture.
QBs are going to poorly run organizations out of the draft.

Lawrence on his 2nd coach. Same with Fields. Jones, had a change in OC and his new one was a former DC & Special teams coach.
I would expect Pickett to have a new OC next season and not because he got hired away into a higher position.
Tua on his second HC, same as Herbert.
D. Jones on his 3rd HC in 4 seasons.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah Brady wasn't some god descending to the earth in his first season. People seem to forget there was a legitimate argument on who should start the Super Bowl after Bledsoe came in to the AFC title game to relieve an injured Brady.

Those defenses don't get nearly enough credit for how integral they were.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah Brady wasn't some god descending to the earth in his first season. People seem to forget there was a legitimate argument on who should start the Super Bowl after Bledsoe came in to the AFC title game to relieve an injured Brady.

Those defenses don't get nearly enough credit for how integral they were.
True. Didn’t get the hype that Seattle’s LOB received during their run but they were very strong. Of course the rules then were favouring the D more with illegal contract. But still. That’s why Manning and the Colts couldn’t beat them back then.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Brady wasn’t the Brady we know today until Randy Moss showed up, and then he unlocked his super powers. He had never thrown 30 touchdowns and then went to 50, and only had 1 4000-yard season. That was age 30 and after 3 Super Bowls.
he led the league in TD passes in 02. but you're right, it's interesting how his career was altered once moss arrived and he kept up those crazy good numbers even after he departed. probably because that's when gronk, hernandez, and edelman arrived

before moss, the best WR he had was deion branch

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
he led the league in TD passes in 02. but you're right, it's interesting how his career was altered once moss arrived and he kept up those crazy good numbers even after he departed. probably because that's when gronk, hernandez, and edelman arrived

before moss, the best WR he had was deion branch
Moss and Welker were a great duo as you have the speed and deep threat of Moss to go with the route running reliable Welker on short to intermediate routes.

Then Gronk arrived who was the most dominant TE physically ever. Can block and catch. Edelman took over for Welker.

Had the matchups and used them.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Jones’ pass was so wobbly and bad that hitting the wire seemed like a logical explanation. Turns out, it’s actually just the noodle arm.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Jones’ pass was so wobbly and bad that hitting the wire seemed like a logical explanation. Turns out, it’s actually just the noodle arm.

Unfortunate but them the breaks. Karma for his high slide I guess.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
I'll say this for #3, whatever he's doing must work pretty well. Gets clobbered regularly and has missed what, four games in his career?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad