Patriots/NFL Week 7 - Pats 6-0 - Next Up - at Jets 10/21 8:15 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Since the 2002 re-alignment, The Rams, 49ers and Cardinals all have fewer wins than the worst AFC East team, the Bills (despite all making, and losing, a Super Bowl). The NFC West has the worst overall record.

As for this year, it’s irrelevant until they actually play their division. The AFC East is 6-5 playing other divisions. The AFC North is 3-11. AFC South and West are both 7-7.

NFC East is 4-9, NFC South is 8-8.

According to my buddy this is wrong. Seahawks are one of the most winningest teams since joining the NFC whatever

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
According to my buddy this is wrong. Seahawks are one of the most winningest teams since joining the NFC whatever

That they are, but they’re amongst the worst of the #1 teams (only Philadelphia and New Orleans have fewer wins) despite having played in the worst division all that time. Imagine playing in a division with three teams worse than the Bills have been this century and still being one of the worst division winners in the league. For comparison, the Pats have 54 more wins since 2002 (about 3 per year) playing in a better division and conference. And that’s not even counting postseason success.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I can't believe the Chargers have bottomed out like this. I was completely 100% wrong about them coming into the season.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don’t mean this confrontationally at all. But can you talk more about that? I hear it a lot by guys downplaying the Pats success (Michael Felger, white courtesy phone). Are you comparing to past eras? If the best players in the world are playing, how can they all be terrible?

I like to think it’s just really difficult to separate from the pack (hence, Jets over Cowboys) which makes the Pats run even more impressive.

When people say, “the league is ****”, what are they comparing to?

I think that by and large QB play is lousy, which has a huge effect on the other skill guys.

So many inaccurate throws, bad reads, etc. Just makes the game sloppy.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I can't believe the Chargers have bottomed out like this. I was completely 100% wrong about them coming into the season.

Another franchise murdered multiple times over by the patriots dynasty, joining the likes of teams like the jags and the Texans and the chiefs

RIP

Reactions: N o o d l e s

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Re the schedule...I posted this last year in the Football forum...

The AFC East is the 3rd best division in football since 2002 (the realignment).

The argument is that, expect for the Patriots, the division is crap. So we need to remove the Patriots from the equation looking at the records. To be fair, we also have to remove the division winner from every division.

The two years the Patriots didn't win the division (2002 and 2008) they tied for first...but to try and be as fair as possible, we'll remove the 2nd place team from every division those two years, since that's where they ended up after tiebreakers.

AFC East - 360-456 - .4411 winning percentage
AFC North - 354-456-6 - .4338 winning percentage
AFC South - 342-474 - .4191 winning percentage
AFC West - 349-467 - .4277 winning percentage

NFC East -
372-443-1 - .4559 winning percentage
NFC North - 346-467-3 - .4240 winning percentage
NFC South - 362-454 - .4436 winning percentage
NFC West - 326-488-2 - .3995 winning percentage

So the AFC East is the 3rd best division in football since 2002. They've had the best record across divisions four times (2003, 2004, 2006, and 2015), and the worst record twice (2007 and 2018).

Contrast that with the NFC West, who hasn't had a single year with the best divisional record, but was worst seven times (2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2016, 2018).

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Re the schedule...I posted this last year in the Football forum...

The AFC East is the 3rd best division in football since 2002 (the realignment).

The argument is that, expect for the Patriots, the division is crap. So we need to remove the Patriots from the equation looking at the records. To be fair, we also have to remove the division winner from every division.

The two years the Patriots didn't win the division (2002 and 2008) they tied for first...but to try and be as fair as possible, we'll remove the 2nd place team from every division those two years, since that's where they ended up after tiebreakers.

AFC East - 360-456 - .4411 winning percentage
AFC North - 354-456-6 - .4338 winning percentage
AFC South - 342-474 - .4191 winning percentage
AFC West - 349-467 - .4277 winning percentage

NFC East -
372-443-1 - .4559 winning percentage
NFC North - 346-467-3 - .4240 winning percentage
NFC South - 362-454 - .4436 winning percentage
NFC West - 326-488-2 - .3995 winning percentage

So the AFC East is the 3rd best division in football since 2002. They've had the best record across divisions four times (2003, 2004, 2006, and 2015), and the worst record twice (2007 and 2018).

Contrast that with the NFC West, who hasn't had a single year with the best divisional record, but was worst seven times (2004, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2016, 2018).

Stealing this

nice work :popcorn:

Reactions: rfournier103

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Not 3rd? Whiners are still undefeated

They have the third best record, but you could easily use the argument of Pats haters and argue that a close loss to the Patriots is more impressive than beating weak teams like the Niners.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
I think that by and large QB play is lousy, which has a huge effect on the other skill guys.

That makes sense. QB is more important now than it was in the past because of how much passing there is in 2019 offense. That magnifies it.

Reactions: sarge88

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Bolded is unfortunately very accurate. The QB play in the league is for the most part, poor.

You have a group of guys like Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brees, Watson, and Wilson who are still probably your consensus top 5 in the league (in no particular order), then some mid range guys , and then a bunch of whatever.

I think one of the biggest issues is how the college game is trending compared to the NFL staying, for the most part, stagnant. It's no surprise that the QBs in the NFL that have success, are still for the most part pocket passers. Yeah being mobile like a Watson or Wilson certainly helps, but they both can stand in and sling it. It's no surprise to me that the guys with the most success are still more of the old school type QB.

Obviously systems and coaching has a lot to do with it to, and the NFL has a HUGE coaching issue around the league as well.

Reactions: sarge88

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Meyers made some great plays

NFL guard Josh Sitton told McAfee this- “You can have two bad offensive linemen, you can’t have 3”

I tend to agree with that. When cannon holds up everything is fine, when he doesn’t it’s gonna cost them eventually

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Bolded is unfortunately very accurate. The QB play in the league is for the most part, poor.

You have a group of guys like Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brees, Watson, and Wilson who are still probably your consensus top 5 in the league (in no particular order), then some mid range guys , and then a bunch of whatever.

I think one of the biggest issues is how the college game is trending compared to the NFL staying, for the most part, stagnant. It's no surprise that the QBs in the NFL that have success, are still for the most part pocket passers. Yeah being mobile like a Watson or Wilson certainly helps, but they both can stand in and sling it. It's no surprise to me that the guys with the most success are still more of the old school type QB.

Obviously systems and coaching has a lot to do with it to, and the NFL has a HUGE coaching issue around the league as well.

One thing about college is the dominant teams did not used to have the best QBs. Bama had mediocre ones most of the Saban era those Miami teams only had Ken Dorsey etc etc. Right now the best teams have the best QBs playing behind the best lines with the best WRs.

Not sure the overall effect on CFB but it definitely sets up those guys to fail in the NFL. Don't be shocked if Tua and Lawrence fall flat on their face.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
With the NFL season underway and the undefeated New England Patriots reaching for yet another trip to the Super Bowl, thousands of fans are heading to Gillette and stadiums across the country to tailgate and cheer on their respective teams.
But those who choose to view the game from a plastic seat instead of their couch will pay for the privilege. According to a report from ticket seller Vivid Seats, every team in the NFL had average ticket prices above $100 in 2018. The Buffalo Bills had the lowest at $107, while Patriots fans had to shell out an average of $530.
To see where each team ranked, click on the slideshow

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/...much-an-average-ticket-costs-at-each-nfl.html

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad