NFL GDT: Week 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
See: Sean McVay today- Doug Pedersen last year, 2016 Jack Del Rio.
It wasn't 4th and 5 or something. 4th and 1. Rams had about the length of the football so I thought that was an easy call. 1 play to win the game right then and there.

Boy's OL might not be what it was without Frederick, but you should be able to gain 1 yard with Zeke and what they have on the OL. If you fail, you go down swinging.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
If you have the ball over the 50 in OT, you shouldn't punt.
Also look at the game clock. The Cowboys burned almost half of overtime to move the ball something like 32 yards. Even if they punt, stuff the Texans, and get a punt back, how much time is left for them to march back down field?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
What would their options be afterwards? AJ Mccarran? Unless the Oregon QB turns pro, the rest of the class of Lock, Stidham, etc. doesn't come with much hype.

I'm all for moving on if Carr doesn't start playing like he did in 2016. So, far 2016 is looking like an outlier of his 5 year career.

Winston.

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
So.... MNF

Washington has a chance to gain a game and remain in first place by a big margin, but....

The Redskins are 6-21 on Monday Night since 1997, Ingram's back, the Superdome is a hard place to win at night, and Drew Brees is going for 1 record, if not 2.

No pressure, Alex Smith.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Son of a *****. I'm out in survivor
The way the Cowboys have looked on the road, bad move there

In the Browns game, the Browns had three possessions in OT and the Ravens has two.

In this game, we’re going to see two total possessions devour the entire OT.

The Saints took like 8 minutes to get down to the goal line when they went to overtime.

If you get the ball, 2 first downs, and punt, you’re basically playing for a tie.

It didn’t happen much last year for some reason, but if they keep the 10-minute rules we’re going to see a ton more ties.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
If TB cuts Winston, shouldn't that tell us something too?
He's been as inconsistent as Carr has been.

Bucs do have the option to walk away from the 5th year option so long as he's not injured.

They probably won't cut him, but I could see Gruden giving up a draft pick up for Winston.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

I'm sure this has happened since, but the last time I distinctly remember it happening was when Tim Brown hit the #2 mark in receiving yardage (or receptions). I personally think this is dumb.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They probably won't cut him, but I could see Gruden giving up a draft pick up for Winston.
I personally don’t see Winston as any real upgrade. Still similar to Carr in the decision making and inconsistency.

One thing to under throw a pass like Carr did against the rams late in Q2 but at least that was a one on one match up with his big TE Cook against a DB. Poor pass, which was typical of Carr on deeper shots, floating the ball in. But to throw a pick into the middle of the field on first and goal from the 1 is inexcusable. Down 17, so you’re got 3 other downs to get the TD. Have to throw it away if your guy is not open.

See how both Carr and Winston finish the year.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I personally don’t see Winston as any real upgrade. Still similar to Carr in the decision making and inconsistency.

One thing to under throw a pass like Carr did against the rams late in Q2 but at least that was a one on one match up with his big TE Cook against a DB. Poor pass, which was typical of Carr on deeper shots, floating the ball in. But to throw a pick into the middle of the field on first and goal from the 1 is inexcusable. Down 17, so you’re got 3 other downs to get the TD. Have to throw it away if your guy is not open.

See how both Carr and Winston finish the year.

Sometimes you don't need an upgrade, you just need something different. I also think Winston has the personality that Gruden likes.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
It's different types of decision making. With Carr, it's the throws he doesn't pull the trigger on. With Winston it's the ill advised throws and being too aggressive.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Winston's personality seems to match the Raiders mantra. Carr looked great in 2016 but has looked bad since that injury that ended his season in 2016.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's different types of decision making. With Carr, it's the throws he doesn't pull the trigger on. With Winston it's the ill advised throws and being too aggressive.
Kind of sounds like choosing between Alex smith or Matt Stafford.

Gruden most successful qb was Gannon and he didn’t have a cannon of an arm. Was a vet and could run the offense properly.

Can he get Carr to be more assertive? Could he get Winston to play smarter?

Not sure what is the more annoying thing for a coach?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Kind of sounds like choosing between Alex smith or Matt Stafford.

Gruden most successful qb was Gannon and he didn’t have a cannon of an arm. Was a vet and could run the offense properly.

Can he get Carr to be more assertive? Could he get Winston to play smarter?

Not sure what is the more annoying thing for a coach?

Basic rule of football applies here to me - you always would rather have the guy you need to pull back on than the guy you need to push.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad