NCAA GDT: Week 5

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
OK State pulls out the win, but can't cover the -10 due to the repeated red zone bumbling.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I just turned the Bama game on since the San Diego State game just cut to a commercial. Damn.

It kind comes full circle here because Ole Miss wouldn't be this bad if Hugh Freeze hadn't been dismissed. And Hugh Freeze would have never been Ole Miss coach if Coach O hadn't hired him as an assistant when he was at Ole Miss. So it's all on Coach O really.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
It kind comes full circle here because Ole Miss wouldn't be this bad if Hugh Freeze hadn't been dismissed. And Hugh Freeze would have never been Ole Miss coach if Coach O hadn't hired him as an assistant when he was at Ole Miss. So it's all on Coach O really.

How many programs has he ruined then

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
How many programs has he ruined then

What's bad is Ole Miss won 9 games before O got there. Ya'll really need to read "meat market" to get a glimpse into his management style. He had a bass drum that he would bang at 6 a.m. in the coaches offices to keep the energy up. March around the facility banging a bass drum. He would take his shirt off and challenge his players to fights. Does this sound like the face of a program?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
What's bad is Ole Miss won 9 games before O got there. Ya'll really need to read "meat market" to get a glimpse into his management style. He had a bass drum that he would bang at 6 a.m. in the coaches offices to keep the energy up. March around the facility banging a bass drum. He would take his shirt off and challenge his players to fights. Does this sound like the face of a program?

Sounds better then saban. I would fight him if he woke me up at 6 am for no reason tho

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
He is, but is SDSU just a great RB system? Pumphrey was one of the best but is not even NFL material

Pumphrey is too small. Penny was always the better pro prospect. Its like Sony Michel and Nick Chubb. Chubb is a great college back but Michel is the better pro prospect.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Pumphrey is too small. Penny was always the better pro prospect. Its like Sony Michel and Nick Chubb. Chubb is a great college back but Michel is the better pro prospect.

Interesting. I figure it all has to do with size at the next level?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Interesting. I figure it all has to do with size at the next level?

Not everything. Penny excels between the tackles and breaks a lot of tackles. Chubb reminds me of Andre Williams. He's tough and runs hard but is not overly quick and or fast. Michel is just more of an NFL style runner. One cut and gets downhill and breaks tackles. Size and speed.

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Thank god things are back to normal for PSU and we aren't ever losing to a Troy at home.

No more sanctions with 7 win years and struggling against the likes of Gary Nova and Illinois.

But for a 45-14 win, I didn't think we were all that impressive yesterday. We can be better. Just take care of business.

Reactions: PSUPEN

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think it's kinda funny that they hyped up the Clemson game vs VT as some sort of clash of titans when it was fairly obvious going in that while VT is a good team, they are by no means a team at playoff level. I guess the problem is that they want to show off Clemson - the reigning champions and one of the game's main attractions currently - but the ACC is kind of a thin conference

The best matchups this week were probably USC at Wazzu and OK State at Texas Tech...but one was on Fox, the other was randomly played on a Friday night?

kg458

Capstronaut
Jan 31, 2008
Boston
VT arguably should have beat them last year in the ACC championship in Charlotte. Add that to the facts that both teams were undefeated and they were playing at night in Lane Stadium and it seems pretty fair to receive all that hype. That it turned out to be uncompetitive in the second half doesn't change any of that.

Also, while teams like VT, Louisville, and Miami might not be playoff level, they're still very good teams. If anything, a conference like the SEC seems much "thinner" to me...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Virginia Tech's time is kind of down the line still. They'll be meddling around in the 10-20 range all season.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Yeah you may as well just scrap the rest of the SEC schedule and let Alabama and Georgia play a best-of-7 for the conference title. Although I guess you can't rule out Florida just following their usual pattern of repeatedly lucking out close wins against bad teams and then Georgia somehow blowing a game against SC or something.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I'd probably take Georgia right now over any ACC team not called Clemson. And Auburn has given Clemson the toughest game so far (and that may well hold true all year). I look at Clemson's schedule and it's hardly a gauntlet from here on out. FSU without their QB struggles to get past anyone with a pulse.

Sep 19, 2008
The problem is

1) Alabama and Clemson are a world above everyone else and

2) Virginia Tech was always a flawed team, a "perfect" team recordwise playing imperfect football. Virginia Tech week 1 was fine offensively, but had problems on defense. In week 2 their offense sputtered against Delaware yet they were still able to win due to ST returns and defense. Week 3 against ECU, they fell behind by 14 before dominating. Week 4 continued the narrative of the struggling offense, but again it was ODU so these weaknesses were kind of hidden.

The game yesterday exposed everything out in the open. Virginia Tech does have problems offensively which haven't been fixed from game to game. They were made a lot more apparent by the efficiency of the Clemson defense which didn't allow much. VT's offense was basically stifled and the defense was being lit up.

That being said, that was probably the toughest game VT had to play all year. But it was the worst effort by far under the Fuente era. Fuente's teams at VT often fell behind by double digits (ECU, ND, Arkansas in the Belk Bowl, yet always found ways to win. Even in their last meeting VT fell behind by double digits before rallying to make it close. But it was apparent that there would be no such rally yesterday. Just an ugly game to see in person.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad