Pre-Game Talk: Week 4: Saint Louis Blues and @ Vegas Golden Knights. Time to panic? Or time to calm down?

Panic!!!!!

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Maybe it's just me, or the fact it was the Blues, who just look slow and disinterested, but I still haven't yet seen this team go full tilt yet. Very early, and as we know they've had worse starts in recent seasons...including the one that ended with a Cup win, so I'm not worried, just wish we'd see a little more jump and energy from this squad. Just felt a little *blah* to me, and has in stretches in all the games this year.

Also...I know, I know, it's just who he is but I can see why coaches want to strangle RyJo at times. His defensive zone "coverages" were softer than butter left out in the sun. And it's REALLY frustrating because he knows where to be, he just doesn't put in much effort to really stick to the guy he's covering, just a small brush and then he floats off and gives the guy space.
I'm glad this will probably be the only year I have to watch him. I don't think I could get used to it.... It's so many low effort plays than a random play that shows his talent and ability just to go back to floating. Like the talent and ability offensively and defensively is there....

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Maybe it's just me, or the fact it was the Blues, who just look slow and disinterested, but I still haven't yet seen this team go full tilt yet. Very early, and as we know they've had worse starts in recent seasons...including the one that ended with a Cup win, so I'm not worried, just wish we'd see a little more jump and energy from this squad. Just felt a little *blah* to me, and has in stretches in all the games this year.

Generally speaking, I think it's better when a team has a bit of a slow start, and has to build their game during the season.

You pretty much never see a team play their A game from Game 1 of the regular season through 16 wins in the playoffs.

Sometimes the teams that come out the gate hot, lose their mojo before the playoffs. They can get overconfident and not take their opponent seriously enough. Or they didn't face enough adversity during the season, and now they're facing it in the playoffs, and don't look prepared for it.

But when you spend the season coming together as a team, and building your game, you can peak at the perfect time right before the playoffs, and you're better prepared mentally to fight through the adversity, and better prepared emotionally to make a big push for a couple months in the playoffs.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I’m glad the Avs aren’t in playoff mode. They’d be peaking way too soon. Bednar has a bad tendency to overplay his stars in pursuit of regular season success. Save it for the games that really matter in April and May.

I am enjoying the heck out of seeing Edmontons mental fragility and their nightly meltdowns. That club is so full of roster holes but seeing them rush McDavid and Ekholm back from injuries reeks of desperation and neurotic management. They know it’s now or never with Dria and McDavid. Dria isn’t going to resign this summer if they crap out. And that will be the end of that non dynasty.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014

Also...I know, I know, it's just who he is but I can see why coaches want to strangle RyJo at times. His defensive zone "coverages" were softer than butter left out in the sun. And it's REALLY frustrating because he knows where to be, he just doesn't put in much effort to really stick to the guy he's covering, just a small brush and then he floats off and gives the guy space.

Definitely agree with the bolded. I don’t think they’re firing on all cylinders yet. Imo, the chemistry isn’t there at the moment in the forward group.

I think it’s a good sign that you can go 7-2 while you still have another level to reach though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Thought it was funny the other night when there were interviewing Mrs. Makar and asked something along the lines of who is the ringleader or who should we keep an eye out for and without missing a beat she threw Nate's mom under the bus.

Something tells me it's probably the opposite though.

On a related note, I thought it was funny when TNT was hyping up Cale in his post game interview, and he said something about how he thinks he just compliments Toews well, and feeds off him, like Taser was the key to that combo. He couldn't keep a straight face while saying it either. :laugh:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Something tells me it's probably the opposite though.

On a related note, I thought it was funny when TNT was hyping up Cale in his post game interview, and he said something about how he thinks he just compliments Toews well, and feeds off him, like Taser was the key to that combo. He couldn't keep a straight face while saying it either. :laugh:
Yeah, they way she deadpanned that without missing a beat, you know Cale's mom is a straight cold killer when it comes to trash talking. Turns out those aren't rosy cheeks after all...he's just been permanently burned by his mom.

• Haha
Reactions: CobraAcesS

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Hard not to be all aboard the Tufte train right now.

Dude looked very promising in his debut and is scoring like crazy in the AHL.

At the end of the day, you can’t teach 6’6 235. If he can put it together that’s a unique hockey player. You add him to Rantanen, Nichushkin, Johansen, Wood, and Olofsson. That’s one of the biggest forward groups in the league.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2