NFL GDT: Week 4 - Part 2

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
As Young said, though, you often see punters batting balls out the end zone to prevent safeties. Can't ever recall that call being made in my years of watching.

Because when a punter does it, they other team gets 2 points and the ball. Why would they accept the penalty?

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Ouch! I've seen them win against Dallas in 1991...condolences my friend.

I was in elementary at the time and only recalled snippets. But thanks to You Tube, I finally saw the complete game.

I learned a long time ago it's not worth it to get worked up about the Lions.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The Lions were in trouble once they blew the lead in week one due to this inept offense and then lost to a mediocre Minnesota team. With their upcoming schedule, they were finished.

Good news is that at least Suh opted to go elsewhere. Odds are the Lions won't do anything to take advantage of the financial flexibility. But that contract is a disaster. And this defense, for all intensive purposes, still isn't bad.

But this offense...Jesus Christ :laugh:

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
As Young said, though, you often see punters batting balls out the end zone to prevent safeties. Can't ever recall that call being made in my years of watching.
They do it to prevent the punt return team from recovering the ball for an easy TD, not to prevent safeties. They get a safety for doing it, which is preferable to giving up a TD. But I guess that's what you meant to say to begin with.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

? Do you mean to avoid risking touchdowns? Never not seen that called a safety

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The problem with Stafford is that his OL is still bad, still without their top lineman(Warford) and they can't run the ball. They seemingly can't even pass the ball anymore.

People are becoming fed up with Stafford but it's more complicated. Plus, it's not like they have a better option currently.

In addition, this offense has been relatively garbage since the hiring of Lombardi. There was a case to be made that he should have been canned last year. I understand Caldwell wants to be loyal but that guy needs to go or Caldwell himself needs to take over the play calling. Jokes aside about his demeanor, he did well in hiring Austin and has, at least, an average defense.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If CJ had scored that TD I would've won 121.53 to 121.52. Geez, blows my mind how close these things are sometimes.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Curious have Lions fans started to get fed up with Stafford inconsistency?

Yup and he really isn't the problem either.... But he has a growing legion of haters in Detroit.

They are lucky they haven't killed him at this point in the season. He is getting murdered because of that O-line and no running game because of the same o-line.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Austin won't be there much longer.

Oh I know. He was already in the running for the Atlanta job this offseason.

Classless AINEC said:
This is not a thing.

Google it.

You're welcome.

Here is what I Googled:

dtyjqhkjhtoleb91kqkh.jpg

You're Welcome.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
If CJ had scored that TD I would've won 121.53 to 121.52. Geez, blows my mind how close these things are sometimes.

I lost by .48. With Hauschka and Ebron playing. Had Russell not fumbled in FG range I would have won. Or probably if Ebron hadn't got hurt. Or maybe if DET just took the FG and SEA had a chance to win late or OT. Or if that late big catch had hit paydirt. :rant:

Classless AINEC*

Oh I know. He was already in the running for the Atlanta job this offseason.

Here is what I Googled:

dtyjqhkjhtoleb91kqkh.jpg

You're Welcome.

I'm not a badass.

I'm just a guy striking out against illiteracy.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Is it time to start up Batgate?

I can just imagine if the Patriots were the team to bat the ball out of bounds and get that call :laugh:

What a terrible job by the refs. No excuse.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I understand it was a penalty, but assuming wright did not bat the ball

Who here honestly thinks a lion would have even got close to it before it went out?

On second thought, the way it bounced right before probably would have kept it in bounds a little longer

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Is it time to start up Batgate?

I can just imagine if the Patriots were the team to bat the ball out of bounds and get that call :laugh:

What a terrible job by the refs. No excuse.

There was one a few years ago against the Steelers that was late in the game and resulted in a safety, but it was the Patriots who had the ball.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
There was one a few years ago against the Steelers that was late in the game and resulted in a safety, but it was the Patriots who had the ball.

I think I remember that it was polamalu who batted it out

edit:

funny enough it is on youtube and actually appears to be legal

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad