Pre-Game Talk: WEEK 27: Missing Moose, vs. Stars, vs. Green Filth, vs. 'Peg

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Georgiev puts in more effort than our mods with GDTs

15 minutes to game time, still not GDT for perhaps the biggest game of the season.

Very disappointing

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
We're the 2022 Oilers. Only going as far as MacK can drag us this year. We'll be lucky to get out of the first round

Reactions: Balthazar

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
I dunno. Avs just looked disinterested. Which is pretty shocking. But these season ending games never really tell us much. Winnipeg just beat Dallas and Colorado 10-0 in 2 days. Is that really them? Is that really us? Who knows.

Hellebuyck could have ordered a pizza in the 1st period- we never got near him, much less challenged him.

The good news is that they have 7 days to get un-disinterested. Just too much SCP experience and talent on the team to make me believe that today is the effort we can expect next weekend. If the Avs aren't motivated after that beat down, I don't know what will do it.

Hey guys - you see that switch over there? Yes, that one.

Flip it.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
f0b-941607420.jpg

Reactions: NorthernAvsFan

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
The funny thing is… I think talent-wise this team is pretty close to this cup winning one.

Obviously the goaltending is in the toilet, but this group also seems broken in a way. Strange, but perhaps just a paper tiger this season. The roster is better than the on-ice product.

Reactions: The Moops

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The funny thing is… I think talent-wise this team is pretty close to this cup winning one.

Obviously the goaltending is in the toilet, but this group also seems broken in a way. Strange, but perhaps just a paper tiger this season. The roster is better than the on-ice product.
No Landy to lead and Kadri to bring the swagger.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I dunno. Avs just looked disinterested. Which is pretty shocking. But these season ending games never really tell us much. Winnipeg just beat Dallas and Colorado 10-0 in 2 days. Is that really them? Is that really us? Who knows.

Hellebuyck could have ordered a pizza in the 1st period- we never got near him, much less challenged him.

The good news is that they have 7 days to get un-disinterested. Just too much SCP experience and talent on the team to make me believe that today is the effort we can expect next weekend. If the Avs aren't motivated after that beat down, I don't know what will do it.

Flip it.
Yeah I dunno about that one.

I think yesterday they came out pretty hard but got down AGAIN early due to atrocious defensive coverage by Manson & Girard but at that point, you're down 2-0... certainly not insurmountable. But goals 3&4 were simply unacceptable from your starter... He can't let those in when you're trying to get home ice. So there was no repeat of the Nashville game with a big comeback.

Just seems like this team, especially the D doesn't seem to want to play in front of George.

Like maybe when he lets in a bad goal, he bitches-out his D out of frustration and they are tired of this crap - I dunno - but it hasn't been 1 guy, it's like ALL of them that just haven't been nearly as good when they play in front of him.

After yesterday's game, a change to Annunen would be the way to go unless you want to start the playoff series down 0-2 before you need to make that change.

I hope I'm horribly wrong but those goals 3 & 4 made me lose confidence in #40 completely.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
If you take out personal feelings towards George, you have to play him. Under no circumstances do you want to have to start your backup in the playoffs if your starter is healthy. We all know George has been bad, especially down the stretch, but turning to Annunen for the playoffs is a f*** ton of pressure on a guy with 14 career starts and no playoff experience. The Avs front office and Bednar just have to hope George figures his shit out.

I'm losing faith in George too, I do feel that the awful D has not helped whatsoever this year but he shoulders his fair share of the blame. Having said that, George has shown flashes of a great goalie, you have to play him and just hope that's what you get. I'm sure his confidence is shot and starting Annunen would blow it for good.

I know no George haters want to see him in net. But I completely expect it, and it's not because Bednar is inept. It's because he has no real other choice. It's George or bust, for now. Annunen is not ready.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Sometimes I’m not sure if we’re all watching the same game here. I don’t know how can anyone put yesterday’s game on either of the goalie when the entire team didn’t show up to play

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
You have to start with the proposition that Avs management just does not overpay for goalies. Period. They pay out for position players with the assumption that merely average goaltending is enough with their roster. It worked in 2022. And we've seen AG be pretty damn good in spots.

But goalies are like golfers and relief pitchers in temperament. The head drives the physical. And right now, AG really needs a sports therapist. And yes, you play him and make him play through whatever he has.

The Avs modus operandi is to play loose and let the defensemen drive the offense. But maybe they should start playing close to home for a while.

But the fan above is right: NOBODY showed up to play yesterday. Period. Wanna take pressure off your goalies? Play in the other guys end. Score goals. Instead, the Avs spent 58 minutes defending.

Blaming yesterdays result on the goalies isn't fair.

Last edited:

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
The way I see it, the whole team was dreadful yesterday. Those first two goals are on terrible defensive coverage yet again. The second two goals are absolute backbreakers by Georgie. Is the loss on the whole team? Absolutely, they were all awful. Would I really loved to have seen how the game plays out if goals 3 and 4 don’t happen? Yes. Do they probably still lose? Yes, can’t count on making a 2 goal comeback on the Jets but there was a slim possibility and we might’ve seen a team that played hard and figured it out if they go into the first intermission down 2 not 4

We’re stuck with him now but Georgie can’t come back. Even if we’re going with cheap goalies who are going to let in bad goalies, his mentality is a problem. Can’t have a goalie who loses his confidence and folds after two goals he should know are not his fault and he can still right the ship. It really seems like there’s a big trust issue where he doesn’t trust the team and the team doesn’t trust him and that’s a problem moving forward

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
I absolutely blame yesterday's loss on George. The game was still winnable when we were only down by 2. Then what the f*** did he do? Let in two softies in 10 seconds. Absolutely back breaking for a team. f*** George. He's a head case and is going to cost us.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019

Flip it.
Guy the word just becomes “interested” again. No need for the double negative it hurts brains to read this

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Ummm . . . I'm an English major. Wrote for several magazines and newspapers for 20+ years.

Just having fun.
“Chapter 1: The Boy who was not unalived”

I love the double negatives but also think there’s a spectrum between disinterested and interested. I’d settle for the Avs even being neutral on this scale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad