NFL GDT: Week 2

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Is it not necessary though? players would purposefully fumble near the end zone if it didn’t exist and you can’t have that
Well the only risk is the other team picks it up and you lose possession(so a massive risk)..... you can't advance a fumble if you aren't the guy who fumbled near the end of the game already.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
It's really weird because normally if you fumble forward you would have to place it back where you fumbled it initially if it ends up OOB. Not really sure why it changes when heading towards the end zone makes sense for the other side of the field.
The only explanation I’ve ever heard is this punishes guys who reach out with the ball. Now, why do we want to punish this behavior? There’s no good answer.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Six fumbles in six quarters, all recovered by the opposing team. Strong season from hell potential.

Bring me Caleb.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Six fumbles in six quarters, all recovered by the opposing team. Strong season from hell potential.

Bring me Caleb.
You're a drive away from potentially taking the lead. Though after last year they used all their luck :laugh:. 11-0 in one score games.

Reactions: Avs_19

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The thing with the rule is that if it happens in your own end zone, it’s 2 points and a safety. It’s somehow a bigger price paid despite going all the way down the field and the defense not even making the play to recover the ball and the points lost by not scoring. Why would you put a landmine at the other end of the field?

What should happen is an illegal procedure penalty, and 10 yards from the spot of the fumble.

The only explanation I’ve ever heard is this punishes guys who reach out with the ball. Now, why do we want to punish this behavior? There’s no good answer.
Especially when the league is fixated on scoring.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You're a drive away from potentially taking the lead. Though after last year they used all their luck :laugh:. 11-0 in one score games.

Haha I know. This one is close but those fumbles are brutal and then the run D is giving no hope right now.

Reactions: Halladay

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Let’s see how the Vikings turn it over this time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad