NFL GDT: Week 2

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
This is exactly it. Their SOS is dragged down a lot by the fact they play what are essentially three perpetual trash cans.

They're at minimum assured 5 wins a year because of a lousy AFC East.

I enjoy the fact the Dolphins somehow put it together once a year to troll them in Miami, but otherwise their divisional schedule is a cake walk.
Sorry, but I dont care what division they play in, they would go 5-1 in any divison. They've proven that they can beat anyone

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I don't know how the manage it, but it seems like they get away with playing Buffalo TWICE every year. And they're playing Miami again this season? I smell a conspiracy!

Sarcasm is anger's evil cousin, buddy! In all seriousness, they obviously play in a pathetic division (could be getting better but has been awful for over a decade) and they get a soft schedule outside of that every year. They're the defending champs, they shouldn't get a lay up.

I'd say part of is Patriot fatigue too. I'm just so sick of them. They don't make it easy to like them with the overall sleeziness of the team and how they operate. Not that I could ever like a team from the Boston area, anyway.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
In the Brady era, they also have a .750 winning percentage in the playoffs, despite rarely playing in the wild card round against the weakest teams.
Beating up the easy schedules make getting home field in the playoffs easier as well. Their non-Super Bowl win percentage goes up to 80%.

For the non-Super Bow playoff games, the Patriots in the Brady era have had 23 home games to 7 road games. If you care, their record in those home games is 20-3 while their record in their 7 road games is 4-3.

There's no doubt how great they are, but there's also no doubt having essentially zero competition in the division for almost all of Brady's run makes the path to home field and thus the path through the playoffs just a bit easier than any other team.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Beating up the easy schedules make getting home field in the playoffs easier as well. Their non-Super Bowl win percentage goes up to 80%.

For the non-Super Bow playoff games, the Patriots in the Brady era have had 23 home games to 7 road games. If you care, their record in those home games is 20-3 while their record in their 7 road games is 4-3.

There's no doubt how great they are, but there's also no doubt having essentially zero competition in the division for almost all of Brady's run makes the path to home field and thus the path through the playoffs just a bit easier than any other team.
They beat everyone so the schedule and who they play is really irrelevant. You would have a case if they jad a 75% win pct in their divison and then 50% outside their divison.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't know the answer, but I'm curious as to what non Pats AFC teams record outside the division is (Brady era), and then compare it to the other non 1st place teams outside their division in the same time frame. Would it be that different? I honestly don't know.

I guess I'm asking how bad have NYJ/Buff/Mia been once you remove NE from the equation. Are they that much worse than say Min/CHI/Det or whatever other group in the same time frame? Again, I don't know, but my hunch is that the discrepancy wouldn't be as big as you'd think.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Gregg Williams instructing his team to injure opposing players? No way. I'm shocked!

Crossfire Hurricane

Sponsor
Aug 19, 2006
Redondo Beach

If we count the AFC championship with Bledsoe in, the Patriots are 4-4 in road playoff games in the Brady era. Three losses against the Broncos, one against Indianapolis.

That seems like an unimpressive record on its face, but Patriots road games do tend to be against very high seeds (because they're generally pretty high themselves). 4 wins against the #1 seed, 2 losses to #1, and one each against the #2 and #3 on the road.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg

Gregg Williams instructing his team to injure opposing players? No way. I'm shocked!

I seriously want to know the rationale as to why Williams is still allowed to coach in the NFL, or why teams still hire him for that matter.

It's not accusations at this point. The guy outright demands his players play like human scum and even then his defenses aren't that good.

The Browns finished like 30th in total defense last season but of course a garbo org like the Jets have to hire him.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
If we count the AFC championship with Bledsoe in, the Patriots are 4-4 in road playoff games in the Brady era. Three losses against the Broncos, one against Indianapolis.

That seems like an unimpressive record on its face, but Patriots road games do tend to be against very high seeds (because they're generally pretty high themselves). 4 wins against the #1 seed, 2 losses to #1, and one each against the #2 and #3 on the road.

I was just going to say, being .500 on the road in the playoffs is a good record, as you are going against a better team, with the rare exception of a WC team with a better record than a division winner, which wouldn't apply when talking about Brady/Pats.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I seriously want to know the rationale as to why Williams is still allowed to coach in the NFL, or why teams still hire him for that matter.

It's not accusations at this point. The guy outright demands his players play like human scum and even then his defenses aren't that good.

The Browns finished like 30th in total defense last season but of course a garbo org like the Jets have to hire him.

He also went 5-3 last year, which for the Browns theoretically should have gotten him the job. I'm convinced Goodell had something to say about that.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Jameis is going to continue to suck.

I don't really think the Bucs can win this game, but I think the Panthers can lose this game.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Man if Cam can't slice up this trashy Bucs D there's gonna be a lot of heat in Charlotte come tomorrow morning

Then again, Winston might just throw the game away regardless.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Heard on radio:

This is the first game in the combined draft era (1967 to now) featuring two former 1st pick overall QB’s with active 5+ game losing streaks.

Tom Brady

Legend of all Legends!
Feb 13, 2010
Cam clearly got the 1st down there, horrible call by the refs.

The sky camera is horrible.

Reactions: SnS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad