NFL GDT: Week 15

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
saints fans can thank gerard warren for his late hit on brees that messed up his shoulder and led to the chargers letting him go in FA. also, the dolphins for choosing daunte culpepper instead

SaintsThomas

May 16, 2017
saints fans can thank gerard warren for his late hit on brees that messed up his shoulder and led to the chargers letting him go in FA. also, the dolphins for choosing daunte culpepper instead

I am sure à lot of fans can thank a lot of events that lead to getting some of their best players.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
So you don't think playing indoors in perfect conditions is not an advantage? :huh:

There is definitely an advantage over cold weather, outdoor teams. But there are plenty of indoor fields and teams with QB's that aren't doing what Brees has done for a very long time.

That being said, he's not top 5 all time for me. Maybe top 10? Not sure, I'd have to take a longer look.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
There is definitely an advantage over cold weather, outdoor teams. But there are plenty of indoor fields and teams with QB's that aren't doing what Brees has done for a very long time.

That being said, he's not top 5 all time for me. Maybe top 10? Not sure, I'd have to take a longer look.
I agree with everyone that Brees is a great QB but I would say his numbers are inflated by 10% due to the playing conditions he works in. Ask Rogers or Brady what conditions they would like to throw in .

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Is it inevitable that Matt Ryan will pass Brees by the end of his career? He's played his whole career in a dome and in the NFC South.

Let me put it in simpler terms for you to understand.
1) Drew Brees is a great QB and had a great career.
2) But over half his career starts have been in a dome which have perfect conditions to throw and catch a football.
3) Of the all-time pass attempts in a season Brees has 7 of the top 17. Yes 7 of the top 17 in the history of the NFL. Perfect conditions allow you to throw the ball more.
4)Due to points 2 and 3 above Brees career stats are probably inflated by 10%. Instead of top 5 stats that gives him"all time" stats.
5) It was projected a few years ago that if Brees remained healthy he would pass Manning. And at the start of the year that was "inevitable" based his health, his receivers and where he was playing.

And....6) Matt Ryan benefited greatly by playing in a dome when he won his MVP. And if he plays 3 more years he will be in the top 5 all-time in passing yardage. And Matt Ryan wouldn't even be in anyone's top 20 all time QBs. So yeah my theory holds true.

Last edited:

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
Is it inevitable that Matt Ryan will pass Brees by the end of his career? He's played his whole career in a dome and in the NFC South.
Matt Ryan will actually probably end his career in the top 10 all time for TD passes

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I don't buy the dome argument as much as it's just the era these guys play in. Hasn't slowed down Rivers, Rodgers, Roethlisberg, Manning (The other one) are all inside the top 10 all-time TDs. Ryan and Stafford are top 20. It's been a pass-happy league for a little while now, and it shows based on where the guys that have played for a long-time are on the list.

My original eye roll was aimed at the idea that Brees only got where he is numbers-wise because of the dome/division. Other guys had similar advantages but didn't take advantage as much as Drew did. Sure, it didn't hurt, but he has earned where's he's gotten with his abilities. To suggest otherwise, that it's simply a matter of circumstances is ;laughable.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I don't buy the dome argument as much as it's just the era these guys play in. Hasn't slowed down Rivers, Rodgers, Roethlisberg, Manning (The other one) are all inside the top 10 all-time TDs. Ryan and Stafford are top 20. It's been a pass-happy league for a little while now, and it shows based on where the guys that have played for a long-time are on the list.

My original eye roll was aimed at the idea that Brees only got where he is numbers-wise because of the dome/division. Other guys had similar advantages but didn't take advantage as much as Drew did. Sure, it didn't hurt, but he has earned where's he's gotten with his abilities. To suggest otherwise, that it's simply a matter of circumstances is ;laughable.

Look at top season in NFL for TD's (single season). Peyton 2013, Mahomes 2018, Brady 2007. All outdoor QB's. Sure Brady knew the defensive play calls cause the Patriots cheat but all outdoors. Drew Brees still has NFL defenses he's playing against whether it's indoors or outdoors. You can't take it away from him, he's the leader right now. Kudos to him!

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
That last one was essentially a Hail Mary. Can't really blame the QB for it. He had to throw one up.

Amazing the Steelers were able to stay in this game considering their limitation at QB.
Their defense is a top-3 unit in the NFL. They won 7 if their last 8 under the same circumstances. They're just a solid, well coached team even with a bum at QB. Definitely could see them sneaking a win against Baltimore and getting in.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That last one was essentially a Hail Mary. Can't really blame the QB for it. He had to throw one up.

Amazing the Steelers were able to stay in this game considering their limitation at QB.
The Steelers more often than not figure it out. For decades now they’ve had backups remain capable and in some cases be better

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Look at top season in NFL for TD's (single season). Peyton 2013, Mahomes 2018, Brady 2007. All outdoor QB's. Sure Brady knew the defensive play calls cause the Patriots cheat but all outdoors. Drew Brees still has NFL defenses he's playing against whether it's indoors or outdoors. You can't take it away from him, he's the leader right now. Kudos to him!
We are talking career here. If you check out Brees's career stats and look at his dome/outside splits you can determine he went from being possibly in the top 5 all time to having the best stats ever because of playing in a dome.
Proof: completion percentage of 70% to 65%, Passing Yards /game 310 to 250 and TD passes per game 2.32 to 1.64 Those facts prove my point.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
We are talking career here. If you check out Brees's career stats and look at his dome/outside splits you can determine he went from being possibly in the top 5 all time to having the best stats ever because of playing in a dome.
Proof: completion percentage of 70% to 65%, Passing Yards /game 310 to 250 and TD passes per game 2.32 to 1.64 Those facts prove my point.

His outdoor stats would be skewed by the fact he was not in a high passing offense with the chargers, he barely averaged over 200 ypg with them

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
His outdoor stats would be skewed by the fact he was not in a high passing offense with the chargers, he barely averaged over 200 ypg with them
Brees was the starter in San Diego for 4 years. In 2002 he attempted 526 passes, in 2003 356 in 11 games (prorated for 16 games= 518 attempts) and in 2005 he had 500 attempts. Basically he still threw the ball over 30 times a game in those years but he completed less passes for less yardage and less touchdowns than when he played in a dome.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad