NCAA GDT: Week 14: Championship Weekend

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Haven’t people said this before about Utah (MWC days), Boise State, and UCF? You’re acting like teams from non-power 5 conferences can’t win games against the bigger schools.
Are you new to this thread? There's a certain reason for this

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
They've played a couple of good opponents in Ohio State and TCU. The rest of the Big 12 is on par with the AAC.

I've been in UCF's corner with you for the most part, but this is ridiculous. The Big 12 went 5-0 vs the AAC this season.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Who is this moron on the color in the AAC Championship game?

"These teams could hang with anyone outside the top 4 or 5 teams"?

Memphis played a god awful UCLA team at home, at 9 am pacific time and needed every fluke thing to go right for them to win that game by 3. On neutral site they are getting whipped by actual good teams in the power 5.

Reactions: Cody Webster

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Prior to this year I did not like Mayfield, at all, but I've become a big fan of his this season.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
90th toughest schedule in the country.

Based on what? They have played 6 FBS teams with a .500 or better record, the same as Alabama, Oklahoma and Wisconsin. More than Miami and Ohio State. They have 3 wins over AP top 25 teams.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Who is this moron on the color in the AAC Championship game?

"These teams could hang with anyone outside the top 4 or 5 teams"?

Memphis played a god awful UCLA team at home, at 9 am pacific time and needed every fluke thing to go right for them to win that game by 3. On neutral site they are getting whipped by actual good teams in the power 5.

"Hang with" is not the same thing as saying they'd beat them. UCF and Memphis are not worse than teams like Michigan State, Iowa, etc that hung with and/or beat Ohio State, Ped St, etc.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Based on what? They have played 6 FBS teams with a .500 or better record, the same as Alabama, Oklahoma and Wisconsin. More than Miami and Ohio State. They have 3 wins over AP top 25 teams.

Are you going to keep posting this crap until you get the answer you want?

As has been mentioned a million times here, in the media, on TV, by the AP, by the coaches and by the play-off committee:

Not all teams with a .500 record are equal, just posting a record against teams with a .500 record means jack squat.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
"Hang with" is not the same thing as saying they'd beat them. UCF and Memphis are not worse than teams like Michigan State, Iowa, etc that hung with and/or beat Ohio State, Ped St, etc.

I would definitely say they are worse.

And yes there will be a fluke or two that could result in close games or even a win but on average I would say they get beat by double digits more often than not and likely by 20+ by the teams 5-15 in the country.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Are you going to keep posting this crap until you get the answer you want?

As has been mentioned a million times here, in the media, on TV, by the AP, by the coaches and by the play-off committee:

Not all teams with a .500 record are equal, just posting a record against teams with a .500 record means jack squat.

Look at the rankings, the top 65 are all the P5 schools, they get ranked up because of that. It's a flawed system.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I would definitely say they are worse.

And yes there will be a fluke or two that could result in close games or even a win but on average I would say they get beat by double digits more often than not and likely by 20+ by the teams 5-15 in the country.

I don't think teams like Sparty and Iowa have good enough offenses to pull away from UCF or Memphis. Better defenses for sure, but still. Let's just say Bowl season should shed some light on how strong the top of the AAC really is. I tend to think UCF and Memphis are worthy of their top 20 rankings, others disagree. We'll see.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I’m not going to take any sides, but under the current system, there is no way that a non-power five team will make the playoff.

Neither of these teams play defense. To me that's the biggest difference between them and the Utah, Boise and TCU that came before them.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
So Ohio State fans say they should be in the top 4 even after 2 loses and aren't called delusional but saying an undefeated team is really good and could play with anyone is. Good to know.

Because every league is of equal quality, right?

Here are the AAC's victories against Power-5 teams this year:

11-0 UCF @ 4-8 Maryland 38-10
9-2 USF vs 2-10 Illinois 47-23
10-1 Memphis vs 6-6 UCLA 48-45
7-4 Houston @ 7-5 Arizona 19-16

AAC's losses to Power-5 teams:

7-4 Houston vs 6-6 Texas Tech 24-27
6-5 Navy @ 9-3 Notre Dame 17-24
7-5 SMU @ 10-2 TCU 36-56
6-6 Temple @ 9-3 Notre Dame 16-49
5-7 Tulane @ 11-1 Oklahoma 14-56
4-8 Cincinnati @ 8-4 Michigan 14-36
3-9 UConn @ 6-6 Virginia 18-38, vs 7-5 Mizzou 12-52, vs 7-5 BC 16-39
3-9 East Carolina @ 6-6 West Virginia 20-56, vs 9-3 Virginia Tech 17-64
2-10 Tulsa @ 9-3 Oklahoma St 24-59

** Notre Dame is here because of their ACC-connection and playing other Power-5 teams.

One thing I'll agree with you on: Teams in the AAC very often play away against Power-5 teams. Some (the best teams because they have to), others because they want to (smaller schools getting the big paycheck).

Other than that, not so much:

Two big wins: Top-of-the-league UCF and USF against bottom-of-the-league Maryland and Illinois. Only to be expected if the leagues are of equal quality.
Two more wins: top-of-the-league Memphis and Houston (Houston because they're #4 overall in the AAC) over middle-of-the-pack UCLA (#8/12) and Arizona (#6/12). These wins were only by a field-goal and one was at home. These should also be expected by your standards.

The remaining 12 games are losses, but the real bad thing is that only two of them are close (3 and 7 points). #4/12 Houston AT HOME vs middle-of-the-pack 6-6 Texas Tech and middle-of-the-pack Navy @ Notre Dame. By your standards, Houston's loss is a bad one, but Navy's loss is a good one.

The rest are nothing but blowouts: All between 20-47 points.

In these bad losses you even got rivalry-games like UConn-BC, SMU-TCU and East Carolina-VT, 2 of them are home games and all of them were blowouts.
Bottom-of-the-league ECU vs top-of-the-league VT, lowly UConn vs middle-of-the-pack BC and middle-of-the-pack SMU vs top team TCU.

The rest are massive blowouts and mostly played away from home. If the leagues we're of equal quality, at least some of these losses should be either close or at least in the vicinity, but they're not. These teams got their asses handed to them, steamrolled, wallopped, pissed on etc, etc...

The thing is, in the Power-5 a lot of lowly teams will get the occasional upset, or at least have quite a few games that are close.

I.e, 4-8 Syracuse beating Clemson, losing by 8 @ Miami, losing by 9 @ LSU, much closer than those 20-47 point losses, just like the following ones:
3-9 North Carolina losing by 5 vs Miami
1-11 Baylor losing by 8 vs Oklahoma
4-8 Maryland losing by 8 @ Michigan St
2-10 Illinois losing by 14 vs Wisconsin
1-11 Oregon St losing by 1 vs Stanford

These are all bottom-of-the-league vs top-of-the-league. Do you really want me to include the games where the medium teams play the best teams or the worst teams play the medium teams??

Meanwhile, here are the AAC home games where lowly teams meet either top OR medium teams;

4-8 Cincinnati @ 8-4 Michigan 14-36
3-9 UConn @ 6-6 Virginia 18-38, vs 7-5 Mizzou 12-52, vs 7-5 BC 16-39
3-9 East Carolina @ 6-6 West Virginia 20-56, vs 9-3 Virginia Tech 17-64
2-10 Tulsa @ 9-3 Oklahoma St 24-59

Add all the scores in this post and it speaks for itself. Enjoy your delusion.

I'll echo what was said earlier here; I really liked the UCF story going from 0-12 to (maybe) undefeated in such a short time, but now I just want them to lose and go back to being mediocre. Congrats on a job well done!

Last edited:

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't think teams like Sparty and Iowa have good enough offenses to pull away from UCF or Memphis. Better defenses for sure, but still. Let's just say Bowl season should shed some light on how strong the top of the AAC really is. I tend to think UCF and Memphis are worthy of their top 20 rankings, others disagree. We'll see.

They are worthy but the equating of conferences and opponents is disingenuous.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
They are worthy but the equating of conferences and opponents is disingenuous.

I would certainly agree with that. I tend to give top teams in a non-P5 conference the benefit of the doubt if they're undefeated or only have maybe one loss. But the mid-pack and low end teams in those conferences don't stack up against similar teams from P5 conferences.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad