NCAA GDT: Week 11

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
To me, if Utah wins out they should be in. They are trailing currently and have UCLA still. The loser of MSU/tOSU is eliminated. The SEC should only get 1 team in. We might see Notre Dame again.

If Notre Dame beats Stanford.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
This year is so weird. Stanford will beat Notre dame at Stanford, so most teams will have 2 losses on their stick. It will make for a controversial call for #4

Bama/Florida
Big ten winner
Clemson

Big 12 winner (best team)? Utah? Maybe Iowa? another sec team? Stanford after they Beat Notre Dame???

will be a crazy finish.

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
What do you all value most? Best win or best loss?

Really depends where

But if a Bama team loses to a team like Navy at the end of the year, But beats a team like OSU at the start of the year

And a team like Michigan loses to a team like Memphis at the start of the year, But beats a team like Clemson at the end of the year.

I choose Michigan to get in. And I think the pollers do as well

I think if you lose 2, Your out. for the most part. And if you lose 1, it better be against a good team or your halfway out. But if you have an Iowa schedule. And go undefeated but lose in the conf champ your out.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
The top end of the Big 12 is better than the top end of the SEC. A 1-loss Oklahoma has a better case than a 1-loss Alabama.

No they dont.

1. Sec bias
2. Conference Champion

3. Bama has played better teams, and imo lost to a better team.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
No they dont.

1. Sec bias
2. Conference Champion

3. Bama has played better teams, and imo lost to a better team.

Well, you're certainly correct about #1.

A 1-loss Oklahoma would have at minimum have a share of the conference championship.

A 1-loss Oklahoma will have probably beaten better teams than a 1-loss Alabama will have in this hypothetical. And they'd have closed the season with three high quality wins. LSU losing to Arkansas really hurts Alabama (well it should, but won't because of SEC bias). The SEC West has a bunch of average teams this year. No cream puffs, but potentially nobody besides Alabama beyond the fringes of the top 25. The win over LSU should have been a signature win, but Arkansas just exposed LSU as a fraud.

I strongly suspect your first point will override any actual analysis though. The playoff selection committee already made it clear that Alabama is completely forgiven for their loss to Ole Miss, and will not be kept out unless they lose twice (and even then they might somehow put them in).

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Utah will lose, looks like the Pac 12 is out unless something crazy happens.

Arizona storming the field is weak.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Four top 10 teams lose today and OU is a big winner with that. Good for them, they're the only Big 12 team that challenged themselves OOC. If anyone wins that conference I hope it's them.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
Wazzu beats UCLA 31-27. UCLA took the lead for the 1st time in the game with 1:25 to go but the Cougs march down the field and get the TD with 3 seconds to go.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
God the pac 12. what a terrible conference to be in. All teams will get at least 1 lose (in conference) So most (good teams) end up with 2/3 losses on the year. Terrible. Lol.

Stanford is the only hope. And they probably wont do anything with it.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I hate Iowa. Worst defensive game of the year. They cost me this awesome parlay. Kentucky basketball covering, Arizona and Oklahoma winning and Iowa winning by 10(9 would have been a push)

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Well, you're certainly correct about #1.

A 1-loss Oklahoma would have at minimum have a share of the conference championship.

A 1-loss Oklahoma will have probably beaten better teams than a 1-loss Alabama will have in this hypothetical. And they'd have closed the season with three high quality wins. LSU losing to Arkansas really hurts Alabama (well it should, but won't because of SEC bias). The SEC West has a bunch of average teams this year. No cream puffs, but potentially nobody besides Alabama beyond the fringes of the top 25. The win over LSU should have been a signature win, but Arkansas just exposed LSU as a fraud.

I strongly suspect your first point will override any actual analysis though. The playoff selection committee already made it clear that Alabama is completely forgiven for their loss to Ole Miss, and will not be kept out unless they lose twice (and even then they might somehow put them in).

Alabama losing to Ole Miss is no different than Ohio State losing to Ole Miss. Its all about...when

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Why? The SEC looks like **** except for Alabama, The ACC is all Clemson, Pac-12 is out.

Nobody in that conference played anybody out of conference. Big Ten is looking good. Obviously Clemson. Looks like you're gunna have a one loss SEC team...Bama or Florida. That 4th spot is up for grabs and what if Clemson loses? Could they hold at 4 from 1? Just moving the 5th team up? Tuesday will be fun. The top 5 are known but 6-10 will be fun to look at. OK State will likely be 6th. Who will be 7th? Guessing Oklahoma or Florida but many forget Oklahoma still plays at OK State. Baylor could win at OK State and OK State could beat Oklahoma. That'd be the worst case scenario for the Big 12. OK State holds their destiny though.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Nobody in that conference played anybody out of conference. Big Ten is looking good. Obviously Clemson. Looks like you're gunna have a one loss SEC team...Bama or Florida. That 4th spot is up for grabs and what if Clemson loses? Could they hold at 4 from 1? Just moving the 5th team up? Tuesday will be fun. The top 5 are known but 6-10 will be fun to look at. OK State will likely be 6th. Who will be 7th? Guessing Oklahoma or Florida but many forget Oklahoma still plays at OK State. Baylor could win at OK State and OK State could beat Oklahoma. That'd be the worst case scenario for the Big 12. OK State holds their destiny though.

OK State won't win a straight up game vs OU, they'll need help from OU via turnovers. If you look at OK State's games they barely beat TCU and help of a ton of turnovers by them, I believe 3-4. OU's D blows TCU's defense away. If OU plays a fairly clean game they're going to win. Also the road team historically has owned this series in cases where the games matter. I'm not convinced OU gets in though if they win out, if they have a squeaker vs TCU they won't get in and if Baylor beats OK State they're done too.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Finally, those Stanford frauds were put in their place with Oregon turning the tables. Utah got back into the top 10, but the damage was already done by USC and they lost their steam. Pac 12 is sufficiently out of the playoff mix.

Temple taken down as well by USF, not terribly shocked even though I picked them to cover, but I am surprised they gave up 44 points, and they're likely out of the Group of 5 mix.

Baylor is becoming the new Oregon. Can't be all-in on offense and expect to win national championships. And eventually all of these air-raid teams get pinched, they all run into someone they can't keep up with. TCU may as well have lost to Kansas, I know Boykin got hurt, we'll see what that does with the committee.

Oklahoma State gets both Baylor and OU in Stillwater. If they win both games, they should be ahead of Notre Dame. If not, then it will be crystal clear the Big <12 needs to find a 12th team and bring back the championship game. Hopefully both Oklahoma schools take care of business next week so the Bedlam game is for all the marbles. I'm assuming that the B1G winner is decided between OSU and Iowa with the winner getting into the playoff.

Last edited:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Finally, those Stanford frauds were put in their place with Oregon turning the tables. Utah got back into the top 10, but the damage was already done by USC and they lost their steam. Pac 12 is sufficiently out of the playoff mix.

Temple taken down as well by USF, not terribly shocked even though I picked them to cover, but I am surprised they gave up 44 points, and they're likely out of the Group of 5 mix.

Baylor is becoming the new Oregon. Can't be all-in on offense and expect to win national championships. And eventually all of these air-raid teams get pinched, they all run into someone they can't keep up with. TCU may as well have lost to Kansas, I know Boykin got hurt, we'll see what that does with the committee.

Oklahoma State gets both Baylor and OU in Stillwater. If they win both games, they should be ahead of Notre Dame. If not, then it will be crystal clear the Big <12 needs to find a 12th team and bring back the championship game. Hopefully both Oklahoma schools take care of business next week so the Bedlam game is for all the marbles. I'm assuming that the B1G winner is decided between OSU and Iowa with the winner getting into the playoff.

It's easier to just change the rule that you can have a conference title game with just 10 teams. I'm not sure what the purpose behind that rule is anyway

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It's easier to just change the rule that you can have a conference title game with just 10 teams. I'm not sure what the purpose behind that rule is anyway

Big 12 already petitioned them to allow it, it was turned down.

Purpose is for a champion to be able to be declared in conferences where not every team plays eachother each season. But really anymore it's so the other conferences get to pad their teams SOS ratings and have one last big game to hopefully get their team in to the playoff, see the Big 10 with OSU last year, who otherwise easily could (and should) have been left out in favor of TCU.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Big 12 already petitioned them to allow it, it was turned down.

Purpose is for a champion to be able to be declared in conferences where not every team plays eachother each season. But really anymore it's so the other conferences get to pad their teams SOS ratings and have one last big game to hopefully get their team in to the playoff, see the Big 10 with OSU last year, who otherwise easily could (and should) have been left out in favor of TCU.

Big <12 is trying to schedule for that, with Baylor/OU last night, OKST/Baylor next week, TCU/OU and of course OU/OKST is always at the end of November. They obviously try to have their best teams have the best wins at the end of the year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad