NFL GDT: Week 1 - Part 3 - SNF & MNF

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Disagree

RGIII only success as NFL QB came under Shanahan. He was one who drafted and started development of Cousins

He developed Jay Cutler into PB QB (Before Bears setback all progress)
He turned Jake Plummer's career around
He got production out of Brian Griese
He was major reason for Young/Elway success

To say that QB Development is not something Shanahan would succeed at is laughable

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
That was such a bad loss for the Rams. It's very possible they could start 0-4 now.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I love how the color guy gets in on it too.

THE GUY IS DRUNK, BUT THERE HE GOES! should be the explanation for pretty much everything related to alcohol shenanigans.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think the Rams play the Saints at some point too.

The offensive punch of a 1 year old meets the defensive stoutness of a wet paper bag.

Loser should probably leave the NFL.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Replace Jeff with Jimbo. That dude just gets young QB's and has a system that blends traditional pro schematics with modern spread principles and spacing.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The Rams are quickly becoming the job to simply avoid. What high profile or rising coach would want to go to that mess. They have a couple good players, and then crap, and they don't have a 1st or 3rd round pick in the upcoming draft. Unless you think Goff is going to become a star, it's a terrible job to take in a league where instant success is typically demanded.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Pretty much. On the flipside when the Jags job comes open, I put Jimbo Fisher at the top of the list if I'm Shahid Khan. He might be a bit too twangy for a starcrossed ******** like Kroenke.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Guy in my Fantasy league had a nice 30 points from DeAngelo Williams and got 1 from the Rams DEF. Would have destroyed his opponent and won if their D had shown up.

M WINGS

Jul 3, 2016
minnesota
The Steelers won, which I pretty much expected.. The only NFL team from La La land sucked real bad. I don't think the geographic change helped them any

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The Rams are quickly becoming the job to simply avoid. What high profile or rising coach would want to go to that mess. They have a couple good players, and then crap, and they don't have a 1st or 3rd round pick in the upcoming draft. Unless you think Goff is going to become a star, it's a terrible job to take in a league where instant success is typically demanded.

I don't think it's at the point where they should be avoided. They have a decent amount of good young talent, at least on the defensive side they do. They could use a coaching upgrade across the board.

I don't really care about the Rams but I hope Goff ends up being a franchise QB because I'd hate to see Gurley and Donald wasted on a bad/mediocre team.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I don't think it's at the point where they should be avoided. They have a decent amount of good young talent, at least on the defensive side they do. They could use a coaching upgrade across the board.

I don't really care about the Rams but I hope Goff ends up being a franchise QB because I'd hate to see Gurley and Donald wasted on a bad/mediocre team.

Offense pretty much just has Gurley. It's a bad line, bad receivers, and bad QB play, they'll have to wait and see on Goff. Defense has a few talented individuals, but they've also lost a bunch of talent recently. Long, Lauranitis, Jenkins, etc. They should be a bottom 5 team and the new management won't have that pick.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Disagree

RGIII only success as NFL QB came under Shanahan. He was one who drafted and started development of Cousins

He developed Jay Cutler into PB QB (Before Bears setback all progress)
He turned Jake Plummer's career around
He got production out of Brian Griese
He was major reason for Young/Elway success

To say that QB Development is not something Shanahan would succeed at is laughable

If RG3's only success came under Shanahan then his descent to failure came because of Shanahan as well. Either take the good with the bad or call it a wash but in either instance, it's not a positive for Shanahan. Cousins has a whopping four starts in his two seasons under Shanahan. That is hardly enough to take credit for any level of development for him.

Cutler's two seasons under Shanahan in Denver is not particularly impressive in the grand scheme of things. His one truly great year in Denver still ended up in Shanahan getting fired because they couldn't lead them to the playoffs.

Turning Jake Plummer's career around? He was the same inconsistent QB he was before just on a better team which inflated his numbers slightly and made him look better than he was. I'd call that a stretch.

Griese had one good year.

Shanahan was never a big reason for the success of Steve Young. And Elway was already a great QB before Shanahan showed up.

So at best you can say that Shanahan is inconsistent with developing a QB but his coaching and record pretty much proves that he's good with a good team but he doesn't have much of a track record starting from scratch with teams. Plus, I just don't think he knows how to handle players these days. After Elway retired, his teams went 115-109 and won one playoff game in six tries and missing the playoffs nine of the fourteen post-Elway years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad