NCAA GDT: Week 0

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Some guy on the Miami sideline (I guess he played for them in the past) is smoking a cigar. Never seen that before.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Another turnover. Why are you trying to get up having fumbled the ball?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
What does Week 0 mean?

The week before week 1 of course :sarcasm:

Week 0 I believe is relatively new, like debuted in the last 3 years or so and this is I believe the first P5 vs P5 matchup. Usually the "marquee" game is something like Washington State vs Utah State.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Week 0 I believe is relatively new, like debuted in the last 3 years or so and this is I believe the first P5 vs P5 matchup. Usually the "marquee" game is something like Washington State vs Utah State.
Yeah, they've always had something similar before, just called something different.

I had only seen the actual term Week 0 in high school football though.

Reactions: HisIceness

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It's mostly a high school thing that seems to have spread to college football.

Just means a week of games (only 2 D1 games this year though) before the season usually starts.
It's not even like it's a new concept anyways. Syracuse beat Wisconsin on this same day in 1997. They did this a bunch in the 90s and up to like 2001.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It's not even like it's a new concept anyways. Syracuse beat Wisconsin on this same day in 1997. They did this a bunch in the 90s and up to like 2001.
Yeah, I was just referring to the term week 0. They've always had games before week 1, just called something else.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

This game was given an exemption by the NCAA because they're having a day-long celebration of the 150th season of college football. Or something. There was another one a few years ago when they played

The game later tonight though, is a originally rule the NCAA put in to help out Hawaii (and should anyone start a program up there, Alaska), who are allowed to play an extra regular season game - along with anyone else who go out there to play them, if they choose. The only one who took the extra game this year is Army. That's not new though. Hawaii used play the extra game in December, but with every conference having a championship game now, that's no longer an option, thus Week 0 came to be. Anyone who plays at Hawaii can schedule a game against another team who also plays at Hawaii in Week 0. Wyoming and Colorado State did this last year, and Stanford did it at least once.

There's also an FCS exemption if the game is nationally televised on TV or cable. No internet-only.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, I was just referring to the term week 0. They've always had games before week 1, just called something else.

There were a few kickoff classics under various names. One of was always at Giants Stadium. But also the NFL was playing Labor Day from 1991-2000 except for 1998.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad