GDT: Wednesday in Chicago: Oct. 15. Where's Johnny #3!

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm honestly proud of our team tonight. The penalties are what they are but have battled willingly and consistently against a top 3 team in the NHL. Their skill level is CLEARLY lacking but I really don't feel like a single player is mailing it in - they're just being outclassed by the faster, stronger, more skillful team. But they're willing to compete through that adversity and be the (Mc)David vs Goliath against any team even though they're clearly tired because of the extended road trip and back-to-back.

Very heartening as a fan going as far back as last season.

Great post Sig, agree 100%

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
We are in a six way tie for first in the league lol.

No such thing as a tie. There's a billion different tiebreakers.

Speaking of which, winning this in OT instead of the SO is going to be huge during our playoff race.

flamer4life

Feb 22, 2012
Cowtown
Was just kidding around !! All preseason the experts on TSN had the oilers finishing top 3 in the division. Nice to see the oil getting lit up night in and night out.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
We are currently sixth in the league.

Gee, why does Calgary always seem to have played more games than anyone else? We’ve played 5 times, the Canucks have played twice.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Also, just for completion purposes, the Oilers are currently ranked 30th in the NHL.

Other notable rankings:

Boston - 18th
NY Islanders - 2nd
NY Rangers - 25th
Nashville - 7th
St. Louis - 22nd

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Phew, I feel like I just ran a marathon reading through these 18 GDT pages. My daughter didn't allow me to watch the game until 8pm.

We are so lucky we won that game, we should of got slaughtered, but in a rare occurrence the hockey Gods smiled down on us tonight. I think Wideman had his best game of the season, that said he still wasn't great. Excluding his goal which was lucky, he did some good things, but he struggled at times to, I thought his play was very up and down. I thought Johnny was our best forward tonight. He created more than any other forward and especially in the 2nd and 3rd periods, he was also very active on the back check. Backlund played very good (maybe he was our best forward) going up against Toews, he matched up very well against him and more than held his own. I thought Gio was good, and I thought Brodie was tremendous. The star of the game though was Hiller, holy crap was he insane tonight. We had no business being in that game and he's why we won. Exciting game and especially final 25 min, GFG!!!

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
Phew, I feel like I just ran a marathon reading through these 18 GDT pages. My daughter didn't allow me to watch the game until 8pm.

We are so lucky we won that game, we should of got slaughtered, but in a rare occurrence the hockey Gods smiled down on us tonight. I think Wideman had his best game of the season, that said he still wasn't great. Excluding his goal which was lucky, he did some good things, but he struggled at times to, I thought his play was very up and down. I thought Johnny was our best forward tonight. He created more than any other forward and especially in the 2nd and 3rd periods, he was also very active on the back check. Backlund played very good (maybe he was our best forward) going up against Toews, he matched up very well against him and more than held his own. I thought Gio was good, and I thought Brodie was tremendous. The star of the game though was Hiller, holy crap was he insane tonight. We had no business being in that game and he's why we won. Exciting game and especially final 25 min, GFG!!!

wtf you have a daughter?!

but Backs was the best forward because like you said, he was on Toews all night and managed to be 50% on draws, plus the pk efforts. I didn't really notice JG except a few plays here and there, or him stuck in the defensive zone.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
wtf you have a daughter?!

but Backs was the best forward because like you said, he was on Toews all night and managed to be 50% on draws, plus the pk efforts. I didn't really notice JG except a few plays here and there, or him stuck in the defensive zone.

Yeah buddy, she's 20 months old.

I don't disagree about Backs one bit, if Toews was a 9 tonight, Backs was a 9 also. He looked every bit as impressive.

I watched Johnny really closely though and almost every time the Hawks gained control of the puck and were in transition, he was literally flying on the back check. You could see he was always aware of positioning in his own end and other than a bad pass which led to a turnover and scoring chance, I thought he played a really solid game. Defensively he was always on the puck in transition and I really liked the chances he generated tonight, best game of the season for him. But I thought Backs was extremely as good too.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Seto looked great, really rooting for him after a ****** pre season. The last 2 games have been impressive for him.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
We are currently sixth in the league.

Gee, why does Calgary always seem to have played more games than anyone else? We’ve played 5 times, the Canucks have played twice.

Jeez, no wonder the Sedins haven't been racking up points for my team.

They follow up a back-to-back on Friday/Saturday with another two-day layoff. :shakehead

----

That was some game last night, hey? Efforts like that will serve as bonding exercises for your team's new core. They're not going to forget that one.

Aug 3, 2010
Disagree, keep switching them back and forth. It's Ramo's turn.

They've been responding well to this 1-on 1-off platoon switch. I would say run this system until one definitively falters over a three-gane sample before a goalie should get consecutive starts.

But I trust in our coaching staff to make the best possible decisions of our player personnel. I still believe Ramo is the better overall option but Hiller was undeniably on his game last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad