Post-Game Talk: Wed., Mar. 5, 2014| Capitals 4 at Flyers 6 |8:00 p.m. ET

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
MacDonald looked good. He made some nice plays in the zone to transtion the puck out of the zone. I was extremely happy at how well he played.

Couts, whenever I see the kid in person he continues to impress me. He didn't show up on the stat sheet but he was damn good. He protects that puck with his frame he is an amazing o-zone player. Incredible to watch honestly.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Wish the game could've ended after the second; maybe it's just my pessimism, but you could sense the Caps were going to make it tight.

Raffl seems to do everything right (besides skating into Ovechkin's hit), he deserves to be in the top 9. The only reason I can see why Berube plays him on the 4th line is because he makes that line useful, whereas Downie...not so much.

Also thought MacDonald looked good tonight.

STOP TAKING PENALTIES! Please?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I got kicked off today. A tleast Penguins fans for the most part acknowledge when their team starts playing dirty, Capitals fans always act like the victim every time.

I don't even get annoyed anymore, it's like being an adult listening to a bunch of middle school kids talking ****, they're harmless and don't know what they're talking about. The majority of both teams current "fanbases" have only been fans since their current captains were drafted. As soon as Crosby and Ovi are gone the fanbases will leave too unless they get new superstars.

mantis toboggan

Aug 2, 2009
South Jersey
MacDonald looked good. He made some nice plays in the zone to transtion the puck out of the zone. I was extremely happy at how well he played.

Couts, whenever I see the kid in person he continues to impress me. He didn't show up on the stat sheet but he was damn good. He protects that puck with his frame he is an amazing o-zone player. Incredible to watch honestly.

Didn't he have an assist on the first goal? Couts looks to me like his skating has gotten better since the start of the season. If he works hard this summer on his skating and bulks up a little more, he could be a serious force next year.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
Didn't he have an assist on the first goal? Couts looks to me like his skating has gotten better since the start of the season. If he works hard this summer on his skating and bulks up a little more, he could be a serious force next year.

Yep, you are right. I forgot he was on the ice with Giroux when he scored. Good catch. Even better! He contributed on the score sheet! Schenn and Couts both with points tonight while the captain leads the way with 3. Great game all around.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
Don't know how they can be pissed over that. Penalty calls were correct, they got a PP, and between Wilson/Orlov their team has been more dirty then ours has been really. Emery fought Holtby and a third man jumped into the Lecavalier fight, but dangerous and irresponsible boarding hits that result in five minute PP's (Wilson) and suspensions (Orlov) may be a tad but worse then a couple of line brawl fights. Then again that would be me expecting people to be reasonable.

I'm sorry to Caps fans and other team's fans that Erskine got jumped. I'm sorry the Flyers don't play that "our star player fights your goon" ********. I'm sorry we're not the Rangers that let Marian Gaborik fight Dan Carcillo. :laugh:

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Couts has been racking up a lot of assists lately. 9 points in his last 10 games.

I thought MacDonald was really good tonight. He made 2 or 3 really nice outlets in the 2nd period alone - just what we've been lacking all year. If he can keep it up, it will be a great pick up.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I'm sorry to Caps fans and other team's fans that Erskine got jumped. I'm sorry the Flyers don't play that "our star player fights your goon" ********. I'm sorry we're not the Rangers that let Marian Gaborik fight Dan Carcillo. :laugh:

It was a mismatch, Erskine has no business fighting a guy like Vinny. Simmonds did what Volpatti should have done earlier in the year when Emery was beating the hell out of Holtby.

MadFerIt95*

I don't even get annoyed anymore, it's like being an adult listening to a bunch of middle school kids talking ****, they're harmless and don't know what they're talking about. The majority of both teams current "fanbases" have only been fans since their current captains were drafted. As soon as Crosby and Ovi are gone the fanbases will leave too unless they get new superstars.

The whole "Rock the Red" slogan was totally lame, but I guess it fits for their fanbase

The Couturier Effect

Aug 8, 2012
Yep, you are right. I forgot he was on the ice with Giroux when he scored. Good catch. Even better! He contributed on the score sheet! Schenn and Couts both with points tonight while the captain leads the way with 3. Great game all around.

I think the assist got taken away because it got changed to Hall's goal. Luke shot the puck and it went off Raffl and Hall. I think that's what happened.

Anyway, just got home from the game. I had a feeling the 3rd was going to be stressful...I was right. The Caps are a team you don't want to give PPs. It's a win though. I'll take it.

I thought MacDonald looked pretty good. Made some good passes and was skating very well. The MacDonald-Schenn pairing looked very similar to the Gus-Schenn pairing. Gus should still be playing but at least Schenn has a partner that makes him better. Luke was a beast tonight too.

Obviously Giroux and Jake had monster games. Hartnell had his moments but he was a big part of 2 of the Flyers goals. Rinaldo was very good as well. So many hits from him.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Some caps fans are... interesting....

I lived in DC for 25 years and I can tell you there are two kinds of Caps fans. The first kind are the ones who have been following the team since shortly after they got Ovechkin (it took a little while for the news to get around). They think they know hockey because everyone else they know knows nothing about hockey.

The second kind have actually been hockey fans for a good while. But these can be the worst ones because everyone else they know either a) knows nothing about hockey, or b) is the first kind. So although they do know something about hockey they feel it necessary to demonstrate their superior knowledge (as compared to everyone else they know) even if the people they're talking to know as much or (they find this part hard to believe) more than they do.

mantis toboggan

Aug 2, 2009
South Jersey

Agreed, I was nervous during the third period but the boys came through with the W. Schenn and couts are developing into some very valuable players. They've both had some speed bumps but that happens with almost all young players. Trading them would be a mistake and homer knows it.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
I lived in DC for 25 years and I can tell you there are two kinds of Caps fans. The first kind are the ones who have been following the team since shortly after they got Ovechkin (it took a little while for the news to get around). They think they know hockey because everyone else they know knows nothing about hockey.

The second kind have actually been hockey fans for a good while. But these can be the worst ones because everyone else they know either a) knows nothing about hockey, or b) is the first kind. So although they do know something about hockey they feel it necessary to demonstrate their superior knowledge (as compared to everyone else they know) even if the people they're talking to know as much or (they find this part hard to believe) more than they do.

As another DC guy myself, I don't think anyone could have described Caps fans any better.

Pens fans at least have a sizable fan base that actually knows their hockey. Sure, they may be drowned out at times by the post-2005 fans, but there are a lot of intelligent Pens fans who know, love, and understand the game. I don't think it's fair to generalize them into the same group as Caps fans. Caps fans are insufferable-- even the ones who have been fans for a long time.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
Very entertaining game. Didn't really get to watch the 1st period.

This team is way too undisciplined though. It's getting quite frustrating every year we are in the top 5 in penalty minutes. We gotta learn to keep skating... once that stops it gets ugly, especially in our own zone.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
ill take the 2 points.
Caps are rising up the list of my hated teams. not quite into Pittsburgh and Boston territory yet buts getting close.
with the way the games have been against them this year I bet the networks would love Caps/Flyers in round 1

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
My dislike for the caps isn't even that high at all... it would take a few playoff series before they even got close to the rangers/pens/devils caliber of hate from me.

Hell, I dislike the Habs and Bruins more than the caps...and they aren't even in our division.

Flyers2819

Nov 12, 2013
Springfield VA
As another DC guy myself, I don't think anyone could have described Caps fans any better.

Pens fans at least have a sizable fan base that actually knows their hockey. Sure, they may be drowned out at times by the post-2005 fans, but there are a lot of intelligent Pens fans who know, love, and understand the game. I don't think it's fair to generalize them into the same group as Caps fans. Caps fans are insufferable-- even the ones who have been fans for a long time.

as another DC guy as well, i remember being a young lad going to the flyers caps game a while ago wearing a ron hextall numbered jersey and having my last name (sweeney) as the player name. We won the game and on the way back to my house taking the subway, (franconia springifeld station) i remember getting into a fight with some 35-45 at least year old guy on the platform (verbal fight that is), he kept on talking trash about the flyers and my jersey and whatnot saying how much "Sweeney" sucks, i turn around and tell him he knows nothing about hockey and he says kid youre only ten what do you know, come back at him and tell him "i know sweeney's not real nhl player and thats my name" and i also quickly smirked and said "i also know youre about 40 talking **** to a 10 year old, but anyway good game jerk". Got several applause's from other Flyers fans around the platform. I was king for that ride home and everyone knew it especially my brother and dad hahahaha

Unstable

Apr 26, 2006
Exiled in NoVA
as another DC guy as well, i remember being a young lad going to the flyers caps game a while ago wearing a ron hextall numbered jersey and having my last name (sweeney) as the player name. We won the game and on the way back to my house taking the subway, (franconia springifeld station) i remember getting into a fight with some 35-45 at least year old guy on the platform (verbal fight that is), he kept on talking trash about the flyers and my jersey and whatnot saying how much "Sweeney" sucks, i turn around and tell him he knows nothing about hockey and he says kid youre only ten what do you know, come back at him and tell him "i know sweeney's not real nhl player and thats my name" and i also quickly smirked and said "i also know youre about 40 talking **** to a 10 year old, but anyway good game jerk". Got several applause's from other Flyers fans around the platform. I was king for that ride home and everyone knew it especially my brother and dad hahahaha

*Applause*

I've been here since '08 (when most Caps fans started following the sport) and in my experience they're total pushovers. For all the times I've gone to games or worn Flyers gear around town, I had one fan once talk trash....about the Eagles.

In comparison, I can't count the number of times people have said "nice hat" or "go Flyers" or something like that. Especially when I went out with a bunch of friends the night we backdoor swept Boston. That was just awesome.

Legion of Gloom

The Holy Ghost
Jun 20, 2013
Lake Titicaca
Loved the first 40 minutes, hated the last 20 minutes.

Giroux & Voracek are at the top of their games right now.

MacDonald can skate which is a plus.

The first 40 we look like a team that can contend for the cup.

The last 20 we look like a team that can contend for a high draft pick.

Luke looked good it would be nice if he played like that every night

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
3 of the 4 goals were on the PK.

THEY HAVE TO STAY OUT OF THE GD BOX!!

If they stay out, that game is a stomping.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
3 of the 4 goals were on the PK.

THEY HAVE TO STAY OUT OF THE GD BOX!!

If they stay out, that game is a stomping.

The weird thing about the PK was that the Flyers were doing a fine job of clearing the zone and keeping the Capitals back on their side of the red line on each of them. Goals were scored with less than 20 seconds left on each, which was also true for the goal on the 4-on-4. And if Read doesn't whiff on either of his two clearing attempts on the first goal, it doesn't go in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad