Player Discussion Weber - puck-moving or stay-at-home D-man?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
1)

PK is a defenseman and by all accounts played excellent defense right up until the last game, his PPG overall was great and they faced some great teams, all of them better than the freaking Rangers. He did underproduce in the finals but the team was injured and the forwards snakebit. Only so much you can do as a QB. Also, the gag order wasn't a gag order, do some reading.

I'm complaining about Weber because he's a Hab. I didn't bring up Subban in relation to Weber, you guys did. I'm complaining about Weber because he sucked and we lost to the freaking Rangers. I'm complaining about Weber because he needed to be rested and his ice-time managed, as soon as he played heavy heavy minutes (like teams expect from their #1) he sucked the following game. The loss this year should be UNACCEPTABLE. Every player should be criticised. Weber doesn't need special, kid glove treatment. He's a grown man cashing massive, massive cheques in between his lake fishing trips. Maybe he should change his priorities and focus on his stamina, fitness, and puck skills? Maybe it's too late, he's earned a lot of his money, and will likely just coast off that.

Why aren't YOU, supposed Habs fans, more critical of the 8m dollar guy signed until the mid 2020s who is already on the decline? He got less points than last year, in fact the least points in a full season since 2008 (!!!), and needed to be rested and did not work with many partners until Markov came up to play with him. It's incredible that you guys just like to pretend like he's flawless, he's incredibly flawed in fact. And it has NOTHING to do with Subban.

I think you're trying to have it both ways. critical of Weber but always making excuses for PK. Weber came as advertised. He's a perreniel shut down D who scores 20 goals and 50 points with regularity. He did just that this season like he has for most every other season in his career like a swiss man mountain clock. He was by far the best D on the Canadiens, played half the game and was a positive force for most of the season. If you want more than that than you won't be happy with most any D in the league including PK who you seem to hold to a lower standard to evaluate on.

Firstly, Steve Simmons is ridiculous. Secondly, what does he mean by that? Kessel just won the cup (and after Simmons & Co ran him out of Toronto) why would he be unpopular? How does a smarmy non-athlete even discern what is disappointment, what is exhaustion, and what is 'popularity' in a room of disappointed, exhausted hockey players?

By all accounts PK could be unpopular - what does that have to do with this thread or anything at all, really? I've never been a fan of his personality, even took heat for it on this board when I said he's not fit to be the captain (14-15 season), but that's only a small part of the equation. Josh Gorges has a great personality, real Ra-Ra guy, puts his body on the line, gym rat, all of that. He's useless today.

You play to win, and you win with good players - reporters and fans would be well served to recognize that before resorting to muckraking and drama.

Phil Kessel could be the biggest loner in the world, he's still a key member of the Penguins and a big reason they won two cups. Conversely, Weber could be the best guy in the room ever, he's still overrated as a hockey player and in bad shape and possibly unprofessional fitness-wise if he needs to be rested and his time managed in the first freaking round. You can't win with players like Weber playing the way they do, with the caphit they have. It's been proven since he signed that contract, he's not good enough for how much space he takes up cap-wise and (I suppose) in the room.

Maybe that hockey is a team sport where you rely on your teammates to play as a unit and having a good relationship with them is integral to a successful team.

I'm not surprised to hear this. I'm more surprised it took so little time to happen on his new young, hip team where he was supposed to blend right in. The fact is no one likes PK more than PK and PK comes before the team, the game and his mates. This isn't new info and it's the reason why he was traded. It's not secret except to PK who apparently can't fathom the fact he's unpopular with his teammates.

No doubt PK is a seriously talented defenceman and one of the better ones in the league. I don't think anyone would dispute that. But it takes more than just ability to be a contributing player and PK hasn't matured yet to the point where he can get his priorities straight. It doesn't seem like he will and that's too bad.

I'm sad we lost his talent but I'm more than happy with Weber's performance since and will most probably like it more and more as the years go by.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
With Weber you lose in the playoffs. He's too selfish and after his own brand to workout and keep in shape for the full NHL season and playoffs.

There is no excuse why a 31 year old professional should be huffing and puffing and tired in game 5 of the first round.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I think you're trying to have it both ways. critical of Weber but always making excuses for PK. Weber came as advertised. He's a perreniel shut down D who scores 20 goals and 50 points with regularity. He did just that this season like he has for most every other season in his career like a swiss man mountain clock. He was by far the best D on the Canadiens, played half the game and was a positive force for most of the season. If you want more than that than you won't be happy with most any D in the league including PK who you seem to hold to a lower standard to evaluate on.

Maybe that hockey is a team sport where you rely on your teammates to play as a unit and having a good relationship with them is integral to a successful team.

I'm not surprised to hear this. I'm more surprised it took so little time to happen on his new young, hip team where he was supposed to blend right in. The fact is no one likes PK more than PK and PK comes before the team, the game and his mates. This isn't new info and it's the reason why he was traded. It's not secret except to PK who apparently can't fathom the fact he's unpopular with his teammates.

No doubt PK is a seriously talented defenceman and one of the better ones in the league. I don't think anyone would dispute that. But it takes more than just ability to be a contributing player and PK hasn't matured yet to the point where he can get his priorities straight. It doesn't seem like he will and that's too bad.

I'm sad we lost his talent but I'm more than happy with Weber's performance since and will most probably like it more and more as the years go by.

Wtf are you rambling on about? Did you even watch the Preds run? I highly doubt it.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
With Weber you lose in the playoffs. He's too selfish and after his own brand to workout and keep in shape for the full NHL season and playoffs.

Sorry. Are talking about Weber or PK????

There is no excuse why a 31 year old professional should be huffing and puffing and tired in game 5 of the first round.

You're right. He was out of breathe so he obviously sucks. You should start a new breathless stat (BS) and use that in player analytics. You'd make a fortune!

Last edited:

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Call Weber by whatever label. He finished 6th in the Norris. Glad he's a Hab!!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I dont know why you even bother stooping so low to make a point.... Weve heard you the first 30000 times.

apexpredator

Jul 30, 2016
Love too finish 5th in Norris voting ten years ago.

I think he's a good defender, sure, but he's also extremely overrated.

Have some standards, demand he play better and criticise him when he doesn't do his part. Zero points, a minus player in games 5 and 6, we got eliminated. Better than his game7 performance in his last game as a Pred, but that's not saying much.

where was subban in game 5 and 6 vs the pens in the biggest games in franchise history...

where was subban vs NYR in 2014 after he dominated the previous series vs the bruins

love the guy, but lets not make out that he was the by all end all sidney crosby of defense.

apexpredator

Jul 30, 2016
as well, i fully expect to here comments of how Subby shut down Malkin and Kessel in the finals...

can we not also mention that Chris Kreider, the guy that has dominated the Habs in the past, who also had close to 30 goals this past season. the same guy that scored 3 goals in 6 games vs the senators, was held goalless and ineffective against MAN MOUNTAIN, to the point where most analysts had to wonder if there was an undisclosed injury.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
1) Norris rankings are asinine - look at Weber getting a 1st place vote from some lunatic.

They certainly are not "asinine". Every year, order notwithstanding, the top 10 defensemen get recognized pretty damn well using the 5-4-3-2-1 system. Seriously, go back through as many years as you can and tell us which defensemen should have been in the top 10 instead. In most years no one would argue about at least 8-9 of the 10 names, though some would order them differently within the 10 than others.

And you could remove that 1st place vote altogether and he still would have creamed Doughty in 7th place, btw.

2) He's a top20-top15 d-man if you take everything into account. He had a good year but it's a decline from last year (~10 points less) and he needed to be rested.

Relative to his peers, which is all that matters unless you're setting artificially high standards that you're not applying unfairly across the entire NHL player base, he actually had a better year than last year. More importantly though, he had a better year than the guy he was traded for.

2b) Weber wasn't good enough in the playoffs. His production and performance in games 5 and 6 was unacceptable. Not as bad as his shambolic performance in game7 against the Sharks the previous year, but that's of no matter to us, he's a Hab and we should want 8m dollar players to play like they want to win. Weber did not do enough. 0 points and -2 isn't good enough. The Rangers were easy prey and the team's leaders did not step up - not Weber, not Pacioretty, not Markov, and obviously not Plekanec. Radulov was the only player to really earn his keep, followed by Price. Weber had a fine series overall, but he was exhausted by the last two games and that's extremely worrisome. He already needed rest and it wasn't enough. No way is that acceptable - he needs to up his fitness and professionalism.

More rambling off base crap.

3) Stop bringing up Subban, seriously. It's ridiculous.

You stop portraying the trade as a legitimate reason to hate on management, and stop the ridiculous characterization of Weber's abilities and performance, and maybe you won't get your PK superfandom thrown back in your face.

3b) Subban's contract negotiations weren't one way. To deny or ignore the context in which those negotiations came about is to expose your lack of good faith in this discussion. Subban had all the leverage at that moment, after the bridge deal he had no reason to leave a cent off the table. Players have a limited career, they must earn every penny they can.

So? Speaking of lacking good faith, how is PK milking the Habs even harder than Weber milked the Predators supposed to represent Weber being the "selfish" one? I know... reasons?

3c) What Weber did was arrange a contract specifically designed to bankrupt Nashville, or make it damn close to bankrupting Nashville. That's the difference. That's negotiating in bad faith. We can disagree, so be it. Only one of the two signed the largest offer-sheet in history, and signed a contract that is illegal now - for good reason.

Something, something all the leverage, something, something limited careers, must earn every penny then can, something, something...

3d) I have no angst left over the trade...

Hahahahahaha
Hahaha
Hahahahahaha
or:laugh:

4) The Norris votes do not reflect much at all. BargainBin didn't get a single vote for best GM despite all his moves. Subban was injured for a significant portion of the season and played under his capabilities around that injury. It means not much at all. That's why it's funny to celebrate Weber's 6th place finish like it's an achievement. He wasn't even close. His 175 Norris votes is dwarfed by Burns' 1437. He's closer to 0 than to actually winning the Norris.

Again, come back with your own top 10 from any season you like and show us which ones Norris voting missed. Order isn't as important as whether or not these "asinine" voters are at least recognizing the right people, right? And again, he still creamed 7th place, meaning he was not just solidly in the top 10, but really close to the top 5. Not even that far off the top 15-20 you (without basis) claim, but no one is "celebrating" his 6th place as much as pointing out to you (and others like you) that Weber, again, had a bigger impact this year than the guy he was traded for.

PK is a defenseman and by all accounts played excellent defense right up until the last game, his PPG overall was great and they faced some great teams, all of them better than the freaking Rangers. He did underproduce in the finals but the team was injured and the forwards snakebit. Only so much you can do as a QB. Also, the gag order wasn't a gag order, do some reading.

Nothing there is any different, on any level, than Weber's performance this year, no matter how much you try to spout from every mountain top about how bad he was in the last two games... providing exactly the same kind of play that Subban was lauded for every time HIS scoring dried up at the end of series'...

I'm complaining about Weber because he's a Hab. I didn't bring up Subban in relation to Weber, you guys did. I'm complaining about Weber because he sucked and we lost to the freaking Rangers. I'm complaining about Weber because he needed to be rested and his ice-time managed, as soon as he played heavy heavy minutes (like teams expect from their #1) he sucked the following game. The loss this year should be UNACCEPTABLE. Every player should be criticised. Weber doesn't need special, kid glove treatment. He's a grown man cashing massive, massive cheques in between his lake fishing trips. Maybe he should change his priorities and focus on his stamina, fitness, and puck skills? Maybe it's too late, he's earned a lot of his money, and will likely just coast off that.

Weber doesn't get "special treatment". What are you even going on about at this point? He clearly earned praise he deserved for a really strong season - just another in the chain that is his HoF career. Love that you're at least consistent in pinning all of your disappointment on this one player who was actually consistently among our best the whole way, but give PK the golden ticket to "just one of the guys and not expected to lead his team over the top" land.

Why aren't YOU, supposed Habs fans, more critical of the 8m dollar guy signed until the mid 2020s who is already on the decline? He got less points than last year, in fact the least points in a full season since 2008 (!!!), and needed to be rested and did not work with many partners until Markov came up to play with him. It's incredible that you guys just like to pretend like he's flawless, he's incredibly flawed in fact. And it has NOTHING to do with Subban.

Unlike you, I'll wait until there's actually some sort of decline to notice, and a degree of which that begets discussion/angst, before going off at as much length as you have on this topic.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I thought this would have died down when posters could clearly see how overrated Subban ALSO is. 6 points in his first 7 playoff games and 6 in his next 15. Talk about getting tired and worn out. Ekholm outscored him when the going got tough ffs.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Try watching the games for once in your life. PK played like a beast in game 6. Assist on a friggin wringer and also got a goal refused on a call back in game 5.

Take your own advice. Weber was one of our best players the whole way, even in game 5 and 6. Didn't even have a guy like Ekholm to carry him along the way. :popcorn:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Remember when any mention of Subban in this thread culminated in thread bans and mass deletions?

Pepperidge farm remembers.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Remember when any mention of Subban in this thread culminated in thread bans and mass deletions?

Pepperidge farm remembers.

No one felt like kicking sand in pks fans faces after a difficult loss and disappointing performance.

Yet here we are in a Weber thread, same antagonist with the same dumb arguments. We can talk about pks underwhelming numbers in the oot thread if you want.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Take your own advice. Weber was one of our best players the whole way, even in game 5 and 6. Didn't even have a guy like Ekholm to carry him along the way. :popcorn:

Your last sentence actually proves you didn't watch the preds run. Subban was the one clearing the zone more often than not and was the one matched up against the opposing best players. Saying Ekholm carried him is highly ignorant. As ignorant as saying I should take my own advice when I didnt even mention Weber and never said he played badly in games 5 and 6, that's someone else.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
No one felt like kicking sand in pks fans faces after a difficult loss and disappointing performance.

Yet here we are in a Weber thread, same antagonist with the same dumb arguments. We can talk about pks underwhelming numbers in the oot thread if you want.

I get it: if it's to be critical of Weber we're not allowed to bring up Subban in the Weber thread. But if it's to be critical of Subban in the Weber thread, it's open season.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Your last sentence actually proves you didn't watch the preds run. Subban was the one clearing the zone more often than not and was the one matched up against the opposing best players. Saying Ekholm carried him is highly ignorant. As ignorant as saying I should take my own advice when I didnt even mention Weber and never said he played badly in games 5 and 6, that's someone else.

I'm not really interested in your ra-ra cheerleading support for Subban in this thread.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I get it: if it's to be critical of Weber we're not allowed to bring up Subban in the Weber thread. But if it's to be critical of Subban in the Weber thread, it's open season.

Yeah, I mean, we should really curb our support for OUR players and go on at length with our pining for former players instead. Makes the board a better place, really...

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I don't see the point of falsely cheering for Weber or his pathetic false victories.

6th in Norris voting? Who really gives a damn. It's something to be proud of if your guy is competing to be the BEST in the league - at this point everyone knows old man Weber is a good dman, nowhere near the best. So what's Ben point of celebrating these nothing non-achievements?

If you genuinely think he doesn't need to be better next year, he doesn't need to be fitter, he doesn't need to not huff and puff against the fkn RANGERS - well that's on you.

As a Habs fan I want more from the looming iceberg that is Weber and his contract. He has no ties to the Habs, none to the community, none as a leader (was invisible this year during the collapse). I don't understand where all this loyalty toward Weber comes from.

Let him earn it. A few more performances like he had in Game2 will go a long way. He might very well have it in him, but I haven't seen that yet. Too few and far between. He's far too passive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad