Player Discussion Weber - puck-moving or stay-at-home D-man?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
With all that catfish and crow you might need some Listerine.
Happily.

Care to share some after your mea culpa crow regarding the largest charitable pledge by a Canadian athlete, ever?

Otherwise I agree with your other post. Weber especially isn't good enough to win a Norris and has never won one.

Let's stop talking about a former player. Y'all can't play nice.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Happily.

Care to share some after your mea culpa crow regarding the largest charitable pledge by a Canadian athlete, ever?

Otherwise I agree with your other post. Weber especially isn't good enough to win a Norris and has never won one.

Let's stop talking about a former player. Y'all can't play nice.
I've got no crow to eat on Subban's donation. You've got me confused with another poster, again. The worst I've done is comment about the difference between pledge and donating, which I've admitted was in poor taste.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Wait, are you therefore suggesting that a 3rd place vote is proof that Ekholm didn't play so well at times that he was getting more praise than Subban? Fresh take.

No it's proof of your dishonesty about Ekholm carrying Subban, but nice try on the strawman, one more dishonest tactic. Your usual MO, fanboy.

Add that to pretending I was dishonest about the voting. You're on a roll fanboy.

RickP

Mar 14, 2017
I still don't understand why people argue about Weber-Subban based on the Norris voting. The Norris is for ONE season. Good job to Weber for getting many votes, he deserved them, especially with the hot start he had in October.

But Subban had a slow start and missed 20% of the season. He came back slowly and got better and better as the season went on and was excellent in the playoffs. Voting occured before the playoffs.

Why would people have voted for Subban over Burns, Hedman, Karlsson, or Keith? It's tough to say he had a better year than them.

Voters don't vote for the top 23 Dmen in the league. They vote for the 5 D who had the best season. Sometimes they go sentimental and vote for someone who had a great career but never won the Norris, but the winner still needs to have had a great season.

Maybe Subban could have had a few random 5th place votes, but he didn't. Who cares?

Next year if he's healthy all season long, he'll get votes.

E82

Feb 3, 2015
I still don't understand why people argue about Weber-Subban based on the Norris voting. The Norris is for ONE season. Good job to Weber for getting many votes, he deserved them, especially with the hot start he had in October.

But Subban had a slow start and missed 20% of the season. He came back slowly and got better and better as the season went on and was excellent in the playoffs. Voting occured before the playoffs.

Why would people have voted for Subban over Burns, Hedman, Karlsson, or Keith? It's tough to say he had a better year than them.

Voters don't vote for the top 23 Dmen in the league. They vote for the 5 D who had the best season. Sometimes they go sentimental and vote for someone who had a great career but never won the Norris, but the winner still needs to have had a great season.

Maybe Subban could have had a few random 5th place votes, but he didn't. Who cares?

Next year if he's healthy all season long, he'll get votes.

Very well put, I mean common sense. It's the Mb'ers who ran and mentioned PK's name. Regular season means nothing. Time has proven that one player is more effective in the Post season than the other and frankly it's not even debatable lmao.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Very well put, I mean common sense. It's the Mb'ers who ran and mentioned PK's name. Regular season means nothing. Time has proven that one player is more effective in the Post season than the other and frankly it's not even debatable lmao.
Who is more selfish and unprofessional: the guy who signs a bridge contract and leads his team to three conference finals in seven years or the guy who signs an extortion-like offersheet and runs out of gas five games into the postseason?

Honest question.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Who is more selfish and unprofessional: the guy who signs a bridge contract and leads his team to three conference finals in seven years or the guy who signs an extortion-like offersheet and runs out of gas five games into the postseason?

Honest question.

You forgot about the guy who signed the extortion-like max term highest AAV contract among all NHL defensemen even more recently. You know, the one with the "brand".

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
No it's proof of your dishonesty about Ekholm carrying Subban, but nice try on the strawman, one more dishonest tactic. Your usual MO, fanboy.

Add that to pretending I was dishonest about the voting. You're on a roll fanboy.

The value of a lone 3rd place Conn Smythe vote is YOUR strawman, not mine. I simply told you that there were times during the playoffs when Ekholm was held in even higher esteem than Subban. Yes, that absolutely was the case. And the point of that is, at no point did you ever see/hear/read about the guy playing next to Weber playing better than Weber. He was one of our best players every single game, and the only thing others have found to criticize him for (lack of points and +/- in the last 2 games) can be found even more so for the player they lament losing for him. He certainly didn't have partners (or forwards, for that matter) chipping in the odd goal when he was focusing on smothering defense. If only he could have scored 0.05 PPG more to attain elite offensive level, lol.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
The value of a lone 3rd place Conn Smythe vote is YOUR strawman, not mine. I simply told you that there were times during the playoffs when Ekholm was held in even higher esteem than Subban. Yes, that absolutely was the case. And the point of that is, at no point did you ever see/hear/read about the guy playing next to Weber playing better than Weber. He was one of our best players every single game, and the only thing others have found to criticize him for (lack of points and +/- in the last 2 games) can be found even more so for the player they lament losing for him. He certainly didn't have partners (or forwards, for that matter) chipping in the odd goal when he was focusing on smothering defense. If only he could have scored 0.05 PPG more to attain elite offensive level, lol.

Being "one of our best players every single game" on team that struggled doesn't really say much. Saying Weber was brought in for more offensive doesn't say much when the difference is 2 points in MORE games. His point totals are going to continue to diminish as he ages as his mobility decreases. Sure he'll score on the PP but he will NEVER drive a play, and in the modern NHL you defense men that can drive it, just like a horrible quarterback is the difference between a successful NFL team or not.

The Norris voting stuff is stupid. It's either you win it or not, none of this in between crap.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
i just want to point out op's masterful job at creating this false choice, ensuring that everyone would argue about subban/weber again

:handclap:

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
i just want to point out op's masterful job at creating this false choice, ensuring that everyone would argue about subban/weber again

:handclap:

What are the typical choices? Am I missing any?

Stay at home defenseman.
Puck moving defenseman.
Two way defenseman.
Enforcer defenseman. (Rarely see this anymore)
Offensive defenseman. (Is a puck moving defenseman an offensive defenseman?)

Weber is clearly a two way defenseman. He excels with his defensive/physical play and shooting. Where I think his game is more average would be in his puck carrying and passing. He is at least average or better in any of those NHL 18 attributes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad