Post-Game Talk (GBU): Weber Nightmares and Other Sabres Terrors

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
The team is worse than management expected. The young guys are not as good (early) as they thought they would be. Tanking this bad is costing them fan support and $$ that are really hard to get back.
There were no signs in preseason that this club would suck this much. Now we still have a preaseason type team playing...and the other teams are playing their "big boy" rosters. This team is a disgrace and fans are bolting in huge numbers.

If fans are bolting I question if they are "fans". If you leave because your team is rebuilding then you are a bandwagon fan. Every team (s) have years like Buffalo is having, 2-3 teams are always this bad every year. A top 3 pick in 14' 15' would chance the fortune of this franchise and the atmosphere in the building.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Most people wanted a flat out tank and we are getting it, this is what the year before you get that top pick looks like. My biggest concern is having some of these young guys on the team when they can play AHL.

I have no problem with the losing when it pertains to the record.

My major issues are HOW they are playing, the lines and lack of chemistry and the constant shifts of seeing these lines together. With Rolston, much like Ruff, ONE player will be selected with on that line and taken off with the other two still playing together even though they are showing signs of not being able to play with one another as one unit.

Seeing these guys play its apparent, it JUST wasn't Ruff that was the problem, it is the team makeup. With the rate this team is "progressing" we may lose guys that want short term contracts and want to high tail it out of hear.

The Effort is not there, we are outclassed in EVERY Facet of the game. If Darcy wants to use the we're young route, then EVERY aspect of this team and the progression falls on him. If by the end of the season we're in the same place and seeing the same kind of team, then Darcy's job SHOULD be up for Discussion. Or will Darcy do another Top to Bottom review?

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
If fans are bolting I question if they are "fans". If you leave because your team is rebuilding then you are a bandwagon fan. Every team (s) have years like Buffalo is having, 2-3 teams are always this bad every year. A top 3 pick in 14' 15' would chance the fortune of this franchise and the atmosphere in the building.

Bandwagon fan or not, they help keep the team coffers full. I won't begrudge anyone who doesn't want to spend a couple hundred dollars for an evening out and a crappy game.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Bandwagon fan or not, they help keep the team coffers full. I won't begrudge anyone who doesn't want to spend a couple hundred dollars for an evening out and a crappy game.

I didn't realise you were talking about fans at the game, ya attendence will go way down and I don't blame people. But I think people will be back.

CrankyJay

May 17, 2006
Lancaster, NY
I didn't realise you were talking about fans at the game, ya attendence will go way down and I don't blame people. But I think people will be back.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to snatching up some cheap tickets on Stub Hub...if anything, this will increase my chances of attending games this year. :)

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
Ugly/Hilarious:
- Stafford attempting the between the leg shot that Vanek successfully used, and completely whiffing.
- Vanek's 2nd attempt at the Hertl move and ending up on his ass.

AHHAHAHA

zman

Oct 10, 2005
Maryland, USA

You can't afford, to lose "bandwagon" fans or any fans. Season tickets will be affected. regular season tickets are going to be incredibly de-valued on the secondary market.
They have a boring, uncompetitive club on the ice right now. They are not being viewed or perceived to be a high effort, highly likeable club. This is a problem. I guarantee that management thought they would be better than this...albeit still some suffering (i.e. not aplayoff team yet). This is like an expansion team quality-wise. No one wants to pay to see this or renew tickets for this.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
You can't afford, to lose "bandwagon" fans or any fans. Season tickets will be affected. regular season tickets are going to be incredibly de-valued on the secondary market.
They have a boring, uncompetitive club on the ice right now. They are not being viewed or perceived to be a high effort, highly likeable club. This is a problem. I guarantee that management thought they would be better than this...albeit still some suffering (i.e. not aplayoff team yet). This is like an expansion team quality-wise. No one wants to pay to see this or renew tickets for this.

This is the problem. I think people would come to see an exciting fast paced balls to the wall team no matter what their record was. This team is not that.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Just wondering, anybody who wanted us to hold onto Vanek and Miller starting to think differently?

Get rid of them both and fully commit to two years of suck!

After this start, unless the team goes on a real tear and wins fifteen in a row (not gonna happen), vanek isn't going to want to re-sign with us. Miller is probably already quietly planning to test free agency. Let them go and do this the right way. Make the suffering really worth it.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
It would be very Sabre-like to obtain the first overall pick in a weak draft year, improve mildly thus not getting it the following year... Then we watch somebody else ride McDavid to the promised land.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
It would be very Sabre-like to obtain the first overall pick in a weak draft year, improve mildly thus not getting it the following year... Then we watch somebody else ride McDavid to the promised land.
Reinhart isn't going to be that far off from McDavid. Why is it that people who have never watched prospects play in junior are experts on them?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Reinhart isn't going to be that far off from McDavid. Why is it that people who have never watched prospects play in junior are experts on them?

it's been peeving me all week.... this, "oh poor us we are only going to get reinhart...."

it's like being pissed at getting Toews, because Stamkos is coming next year... it's dumb...

it's real simple... IF we are lucky enough to get the top pick.... we will be getting the most talented player to come to the franchise in ages.... stop complaining.

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg

Why is it that when a person doesn't share the same opinion as someone else, someone else assumes they haven't seen the players play?

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
This is the problem. I think people would come to see an exciting fast paced balls to the wall team no matter what their record was. This team is not that.

They're never going to be able to play that way unless Regier makes a commitment to add speed at the forward position. Collectively, they probably have the slowest group of forwards in the NHL.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
U: I don't think the first overall pick this year is a franchise altering player

What do you consider to be "franchise altering?" Would you have considered Toews to have been a franchise-altering pick when he went #3 to Chicago? In any event, Reinhart is an excellent player and will be a fantastic pro. He'd be a step in the right direction. FWIW, Reinhart has 19 pts in 8 games (2.375 ppg); MacKinnon had 75 in 44 (1.7 ppg). And Reinhart has no supporting actors who approach players like Drouin or even Marty Frk like MacKinnon had.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
What do you consider to be "franchise altering?" Would you have considered Toews to have been a franchise-altering pick when he went #3 to Chicago? In any event, Reinhart is an excellent player and will be a fantastic pro. He'd be a step in the right direction. FWIW, Reinhart has 19 pts in 8 games (2.375 ppg); MacKinnon had 75 in 44 (1.7 ppg). And Reinhart has no supporting actors who approach players like Drouin or even Marty Frk like MacKinnon had.

and he plays in the WHL...I would argue the more defensive league...certainly the most grinding given the travel compared to the OHL and Q.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad