Friedman: We would all be surprised if Campbell isn't an Edmonton Oiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
I still don't understand how that works.

Isn't it supposed to be illegal for Edmonton to have even talked to him so far, since he's under contract with another team?
there is some misunderstanding on this board about the rules. it USED to be illegal and tampering to talk to an agent or player before they actually were a UFA. the league changed it. they have not changed it back according to many media sources they are allowed to talk to other teams after the NHL Draft is finished. so yes that past few days teams and players can communicate but not officially sign anybody. this rule has been changed back and forth so its confusing.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
I honestly don’t know why TO is letting go of him

They need a goalie and all the options on the market seem like a downgrade or at best a lateral move.

Keumper is a risky move too and he’ll cost more than Jack.

Genuinely curious as some leafs fans have said Campbell wasn’t the issue in the playoffs

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

They need a goalie and all the options on the market seem like a downgrade or at best a lateral move.

Genuinely curious as some leafs fans have said Campbell wasn’t the issue in the playoffs
He wants too much money

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

because he was shit from December-May he was good in November that's it.

Betond that he shit the bed in games 2,4, and 6 VS TB and finished with an 897 save% in the playoffs

beyond that he's allowed 3 goals on 8 OT shots in the playoffs

Jack Campbell simply can't do it

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Sounds like the only issue he seems to have is his “psyche”. Meh, I say his “psyche” issue is actually a playing in the high pressure Toronto Media and Fan Fishbowl Issue.

So if that’s gone and he doesn’t have his slumps. This could work out well for the Oilers.

That being said, eye testing his highlights, doesn’t impress me.

I’d rather have a healthy Mike Smith at 2.2M any day, but unfortunately Smith is not healthy.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Then why did the Oilers officially “allow” Kane to look elsewhere if it’s allowed anyways?

Like Freddy he will get injured or have some mental breakdown at the most important time.

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
because he was shit from December-May he was good in November that's it.

Betond that he shit the bed in games 2,4, and 6 VS TB and finished with an 897 save% in the playoffs

beyond that he's allowed 3 goals on 8 OT shots in the playoffs

Jack Campbell simply can't do it

Toronto had a great season I guess in spite of him.

I get it if there were better goalies on the market right now, but I’m not sure that that’s the case.

Reactions: TFHockey

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Toronto had a great season I guess in spite of him.

I get it if there were better goalies on the market right now, but I’m not sure that that’s the case.
they had a great regular season in spite of both goalies they were both shit

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Jack's a great dude...I'll never want anything other than success for that guy.

I really hope he settles into his contract, plays consistent and stops being so hard on himself.

We were good to him..but the last thing I'd want is a bloated contract and fans turning on him (so I'm conflicted)

I'm at the point where I'm okay with the Oilers signing him.
I'm tired of the drama.

And I'm tired of Campbell's agent.

The Leafs don't need the Vezina Trophy winner. They just need a steady, reliable NHL-calibre goaltender who isn't a flake. I hope they can find one.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I think Campbell/Skinner is better than Smith/Koskinen, no? Toronto fans care to weigh in on that?

If so it's a win for the Oilers because they've given up nothing but cap to get Campbell. Everyone knows they need a goaltender. Bad.

Next up? Kane or Giroux (or both???) and some bottom six guys. Maybe move Barrie for someone on the right side who is better defensively but not as good on offense. Bouchard is expected to take on that role full time next year.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
For me at this point, it's just getting someone who is a legitimate starter and an upgrade over Koskinen and the corpse of Mike Smith.
Yeah and I was only talkin bout from a leafs perspective sire. I have invested so much on the organization................. Its gittin crazy out herre. We might have to start selling our house and live in the woods, only for a while though. Might be fun at the same time, but only when the hockey season begins again. This thing needs a goalie cause a team cannot win even though many of us have invested on the rich organization... without a goalie. But you already knew that...

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Word of caution to Oilers fans. Campbell is like Jekyll and Hyde in terms of his performance and he is very fragile mentally and physically.

He could give you stretches of Vezina caliber goaltending followed by weeks/months of league worst statistics.

If he can stay healthy, you have to hope that he gets hot at the right time going into the playoffs.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Isn't it supposed to be illegal for Edmonton to have even talked to him so far, since he's under contract with another team?
This happens literally every year, even before the teams were allowed to talk to UFA's for a week prior like in the past few years. Just because there are reports doesn't mean any tampering has went on. It doesn't even mean the two sides have spoken at all. It's as simple as leaking out that Edmonton is super interested, an Oilers player and friend mentioning how awesome it would be to be teammates again, a few selective questions and comments that aren't player specific to the agent that represents him (hey, what do you think a UFA goalie who can play 50 games would go for on the open market). Heck, just the media leaking a dollar figure and term could be enough to sway how negotiations go, but unless it comes from Bob Stauffer you can't link it to the Oilers.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Pure speculation. But Toronto and Edmonton seemed the consensus 2 landing spots for Campbell and it looks as of now that Toronto is going a different direction (Murray).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Will only add Campbell is 2 years younger than Kuemper, this makes it a lot closer who would be a better signing. Also part of me also thinks Kuemper was better insulated by playing behind a stronger defence than Campbell played behind. Have to factor this in as well. It's close. Will agree they are both miles ahead better options than Murray.
Kuemper seems like he has been around longer and should be older, but it is interesting to note that the ages are so close.

Honestly, I'm fine with us getting either one. We don't even have an NHL goalie right now. Some would argue we haven't for three years, and I wouldn't debate them on it, ha ha.

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
Word of caution to Oilers fans. Campbell is like Jekyll and Hyde in terms of his performance and he is very fragile mentally and physically.

He could give you stretches of Vezina caliber goaltending followed by weeks/months of league worst statistics.

If he can stay healthy, you have to hope that he gets hot at the right time going into the playoffs.

That’s the risk in a nutshell. Fortunately, the Oilers have a promising young guy in Skinner who is ready for reps. I think a 50-30 split would be best for both players, but that of course relies on some unknowns (Skinner’s readiness, Campbell’s health, a third goalie showing out etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad