Friedman: We would all be surprised if Campbell isn't an Edmonton Oiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
SO a safe bet he isn’t then….
Friedman is usually right when he says things with confidence and not speculation - this isn't Eklund lol

I still don't understand how that works.

Isn't it supposed to be illegal for Edmonton to have even talked to him so far, since he's under contract with another team?
The rule was changed long ago
Players that are unrestricted free agents (UFAs) can begin meeting and talking with teams on the day after the NHL Entry Draft (July 8)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Was thinking about this today. Similar to the Hyman situation last year. Holland is atleast proactive. Oil are in a win now mode. After going to the final 4, there is no way they are not going to go for it this year.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

Isn't it supposed to be illegal for Edmonton to have even talked to him so far, since he's under contract with another team?
No, I believe you are allowed to talk to pending UFA right after the draft, but also prior to that period you can kind of just put it out to the grapevine that you are interested in X player and X players agent can also put out there that they are looking for Y money. There seems to be a lot of indirect speaking via the media before the window actually opens. But I think they can talk 1 on 1 now without getting in trouble, they just can't "agree" on anything.

Not a fan of 5x5 for this guy, but at the same time I don't want Kuemper and there's nothing else out there. Sucks we didn't fix goaltending in the last window when the UFA were a bit better, but that's a sunk issue at this point. If he joins the team, it will be good to have him. I'm sure having Hyman has helped the talks a little. If we have to give him 5M, then hopefully its less years. If we give him 5 years, I'd like to see under 5M.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Technically, yes. Realistically, this happens in every sport. In the NBA you know where most major Free Agents are going well before free agency opens.

You just communicate on non-standard channels and talk "hypothetically".

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Players that are unrestricted free agents (UFAs) can begin meeting and talking with teams on the day after the NHL Entry Draft (July 8)

Didn't realize there was an official rule change, thanks.

although still - it's not like a lot of rumors didn't pop up before the draft too, technically...

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
No, I believe you are allowed to talk to pending UFA right after the draft, but also prior to that period you can kind of just put it out to the grapevine that you are interested in X player and X players agent can also put out there that they are looking for Y money. There seems to be a lot of indirect speaking via the media before the window actually opens. But I think they can talk 1 on 1 now without getting in trouble, they just can't "agree" on anything.

Not a fan of 5x5 for this guy, but at the same time I don't want Kuemper and there's nothing else out there. Sucks we didn't fix goaltending in the last window when the UFA were a bit better, but that's a sunk issue at this point. If he joins the team, it will be good to have him. I'm sure having Hyman has helped the talks a little. If we have to give him 5M, then hopefully its less years. If we give him 5 years, I'd like to see under 5M.
That’s not going to happen.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Marek mentioned it as well on NHL Network Radio a few mins ago. Expecting the Ullmark contract, 4 or 5 years at a $5m aav

I dont think thats bad for Campbell. You are paying extra since there is nothing out there and a lot of teams looking.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Friedman is usually right when he says things with confidence and not speculation - this isn't Eklund lol

You were correct, until they changed the rule back recently. It still happens though, if everyone is tampering who's going to complain to the league about it.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I think Kuemper should be their focus, but Campbell is a much better option than Matt Murray.
I agree sire. Murray is a great leader and battleler at home, but as a visitor.... not so. Campbell is well rounded and goofy errrhwere. Both have solid numbers at home. Jack's are better on the hit the road Jack game. Kuemper would not succeed in toronto, can't handle the pressure. Both murray and campbell can do that I can assure and there's some proof also already. Kuemper's mental game is not the best in the league, even though he won a stanley cup with the great avalanche. All these fool goalies are injury prone.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
He's a really good goalie when he's on his game. The issue is when he gets into depression mode after getting lit up. There's been times where the Leafs brass has really had to help him along with his mental health. Overall, he has a great toolkit and is beloved by his teammates.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Kuemper should be their focus, but Campbell is a much better option than Matt Murray.
Will only add Campbell is 2 years younger than Kuemper, this makes it a lot closer who would be a better signing. Also part of me also thinks Kuemper was better insulated by playing behind a stronger defence than Campbell played behind. Have to factor this in as well. It's close. Will agree they are both miles ahead better options than Murray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad