Post-Game Talk: We were far less terrible, but Jets 4 - 3 Oilers

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
Panthers fan here. I decided to take a moment off from my two day celebration of the Petrovic trade to stop by and say: I am very sorry that we did this to you guys and I sincerely hope you fire your GM soon. You deserve better. I actually had to read the headline multiple times before I believed that the Oilers sent us the third rounder.
f*** you. No offense.

Reactions: Sanchez

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Nurse is actually just fine when he isnt being over played. These extra minutes have impacted his game....he just cant handle it. That goes for every D actually...you cant evaluate a player when he is being pushed beyond his capabilities.
Thats why the Oilers traded Petry....they couldnt understand that the lack of depth meant he was being over utilized.

This more than anything really exposes what we all knew...that this team didnt have enough depth. What frustrates me more than anything is that was the exact problem when Chiarelli got here and its still a problem.
If you are trying to convince me that Nurse is a bad player then dont bother. He just needs to be utilized properly and consistently. That hasnt happened enough IMO.

No PP time...only 5x5 and with a vet partner...thats what I would want for Nurse.
This is exactly the wrong time to give up on Nurse. He has played just over 200 games and had some really nice stretches as well. Trading dmen at this point in their careers was one of the reasons we had the DoD.
Its counter productive to bring a player along and live with his inexperience only to trade him once he gets close to figuring things out.
It would be stupid to trade him unless the return was really good and I sure as hell dont trust Chia to pull that off.

Thanks for these posts, guymez. A voice of sense and reason amongst a lot of noise when it comes to Nurse.

Reactions: guymez

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
The only reason I am a dedicated Oiler fan is because of their 2006 cup run. f*** you Oilers. Screw you for dragging me into all the hype. 12 years later and I hate that I cheer for you, I can't switch teams now and I hate that. Screw you all for dragging me into this decade +++ of darkness.

So much hope when we drafted McDavid, so much hope when we hired Bob, so much hope when we hired Chia... What the hell happened. This team is a total embarrassment, we would have been better off keeping friggen Tambalini ffs.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Last year Nurse's first 30 games were incredible... until Klefbom got injured. If we can keep him, keep him.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Happy New Year!

Here's to another year of losing, embarrassment, and utter contempt for management! And so far we're off to a good start!

Doubt much of substance in the org will change beyond a different GM. The song will remain the same, so here's Led Zeppelin's 'The Song Remain's the Same':

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Just play those 3 as a line. They deserve the chance to all rack up points. screw the rest of the team

Seems to be doing well enough for Colorado. Even if they are on a bit of a slide right now, they're still in a better position than us. Might as well just try loading up the top line and hope they can go gang-busters.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
So.. they were outshot 36-24... the only offense was generated by the usual 3-some of McD/Drai/RNH and as is often the case... the only reason the score wasn't more lopsided was because the goalie... Koskinen had a decent game... not great, but decent in that he was beaten by some tough shots and otherwise made some solid saves that could have seen the score bulge even further in the opposition's favour.

In other words... same shit... different day.

Over the last 9 games this team has been outshot 316 to 229.

That's an average shot count of 35-25 in favour of the opposition.

They've been outscored 39-29 over that stretch of 9 games.

That's an average goal count of 4.33 against and 3.22 for.

Obviously there's a pile of problems there... among them... the entire team defense is subpar, offense is concentrated in largely (almost totally actually) 3 players: McD/Drai/RNH... and a management group that seems to be chasing its tail in trying to identify and remedy the issues with the roster.

These latest moves do nothing to...
A) help the team in their ability to be consistently outshot
B) generate any more offense whatsoever outside of whatever McD/RNH/Drai provide

Positives...

Just 8 more days until Chia is boiled in Oil and Surf and Turfed on January 8th.

Reactions: Cloned

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It was good to see the scoring spread around a bit more with Petrovich and Nurse on the scoresheet... Not! I’m trying to Boilieve but frig man we need some other guys to be getting goals!

Not to mention I been a huge Looch supporter but frig man make something happen, smack some teeth, dummy someone, something, I didn’t notice him at all! Friggun monkeys fly out of my butt when Looch doesn’t show up.

If only Looch played defense, he would probably score more.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
An absolutely briutal play by Jones was a major contributor to this loss. Rookie mistake.

This team has the look of a team with little to no confidence. I have seen that look before...its a team that finds a way to lose. Thats exactly what happened today.

They really need something good to happen for them to lift the dark cloud. Russell coming back would be a nice start.

As an aside...Manning and Pertrovic were better than anything I saw from Garrison and especially Wideman.
They should be better. They cost us a 6th and a 3rd,and a serviceable bottom 6er who happened to be 4th in team goal scoring.

Last edited:

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Hitch absolutely slammed our bottom 6 and bottom 2.

These twirps are already tired of Hitchs tough demands. No intestinal fortitude by our bottom 6 or even bottom 3 defenseman. All it took was 10 games and now these losers have bailed on Hitch too.
Gross.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They should be better. They cost us a 6th and a 3rd,and a serviceable bottom 6er who happened to be 4th in team goal scoring.

Caggiula was first on the team for defensive fly bys. Not having to watch that again will be a pleasure.
He did some good things but wasnt nearly consistent enough. He was a net negative due to his defensive inadequacies IMO.
The team is better without him.

Give his minutes to Rattie...better, smarter player.

Reactions: Cypress

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
17-19-3 on December 31, 2017
18-18-3 on December 31, 2018

Really looking like staying the course and doing dick-all in the offseason was the correct choice.

"We're gonna get it right." - Bob Nicholson in March 2018

I think the correct quote was, "we're gonna get it, right?"

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Caggiula was first on the team for defensive fly bys. Not having to watch that again will be a pleasure.
He did some good things but wasnt nearly consistent enough. He was a net negative due to his defensive inadequacies IMO.
The team is better without him.

Give his minutes to Rattie...better, smarter player.

At least Cagullia would get involved and hit people from time to time. Very inconsistent and that is the mark of a young player. I like Rattie and the way he plays. Just wish the coach liked him as much as I do. The thing that really bugs me is the 3rd. Chia gives these things away like candy.

Last edited:

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
So.. they were outshot 36-24... the only offense was generated by the usual 3-some of McD/Drai/RNH and as is often the case... the only reason the score wasn't more lopsided was because the goalie... Koskinen had a decent game... not great, but decent in that he was beaten by some tough shots and otherwise made some solid saves that could have seen the score bulge even further in the opposition's favour.

In other words... same ****... different day.

Over the last 9 games this team has been outshot 316 to 229.

That's an average shot count of 35-25 in favour of the opposition.

They've been outscored 39-29 over that stretch of 9 games.

That's an average goal count of 4.33 against and 3.22 for.

Obviously there's a pile of problems there... among them... the entire team defense is subpar, offense is concentrated in largely (almost totally actually) 3 players: McD/Drai/RNH... and a management group that seems to be chasing its tail in trying to identify and remedy the issues with the roster.

These latest moves do nothing to...
A) help the team in their ability to be consistently outshot
B) generate any more offense whatsoever outside of whatever McD/RNH/Drai provide

Positives...

Just 8 more days until Chia is boiled in Oil and Surf and Turfed on January 8th.
Delusional if you think he’s fired before the end of the year.

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
lol, Nuge, Connor and Leon all had 2 points. Not a single forward outside those 3 had a single point. Petrovic even had a helper.
And he just traded away a young 'rat' type winger, that had the 4th highest goals on the team since joining, for a scrub 8th dman that the 2nd worst team in the west has benched.

The entire hockey world is either laughing at us right now, or giving us solace and pity for being run by the dumbest GM in sports today

Jet's top guys, Schifele, Laine, Ehlers didn't have a single point. Imagine if they were on their game, 10-3?

Reactions: Aerrol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad