Speculation: WE SUCK

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
That's how pro sports fandom works. Every team, almost regardless of the sport, is the same. When its good its good, when its not its not. Spend some time on other sports or nhl team forums and you'll see the same ime.
I don't disagree. Every team has some toxic fans. But that doesn't mean I have to like them.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Chabot looks like a brand new man since coming back

The good old brain injury giving you superpowers story, classic
I'm not surprised. I even called it. Chabot was clearly putting way too much pressure on himself and was choking.

Being able to watch Sanderson absorb his minutes with flying colors definitely helped put him at ease and lessened the pressure he's putting on himself.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Fair enough.

I'm just a pessimist from having 4 pro sports teams that have never won in my long life other than one chip for the White Sox back in 2005. Beats ya down after a while lol.
In a 32 team league, I'd say there's probably a 50/50 shot that we'll see the Sens win a cup in our lifetimes. That's just a statistical reality. Especially if you consider the fact that any team that wins the cup once is probably going to win it another time or two.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
In a 32 team league, I'd say there's probably a 50/50 shot that we'll see the Sens win a cup in our lifetimes. That's just a statistical reality. Especially if you consider the fact that any team that wins the cup once is probably going to win it another time or two.
Yup. Its a pretty depressing reality, but Im used to it by now.

I just bandwagon hop once my team is done just to feel a part of something exciting.

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
Yup. Its a pretty depressing reality, but Im used to it by now.

I just bandwagon hop once my team is done just to feel a part of something exciting.
But it's like you said, dude, our biggest compareable is the Pens. Maybe this brutal rebuild will be worth it in the end. At least we didn't halfass it. We gave ourselves the chance to build a core that could be good for a long time.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
For me, I have to find a way to enjoy the journey, it’s to depressing to focus solely on winning championships, since it’s extremely difficult to do, and at a base level, unlikely to begin with.

Even the best teams now have gone through long periods of not winning, enough to crush plenty of souls lol.

At least the sucking during a completely rebuild serves a purpose. Dwelling in mediocrity has to be the absolute worst for me.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
But it's like you said, dude, our biggest compareable is the Pens. Maybe this brutal rebuild will be worth it in the end. At least we didn't halfass it. We gave ourselves the chance to build a core that could be good for a long time.
Well there are many ways to try to build a winner, but some of those require a lot of money to throw around, and yes the high end talent is hard to get and a small market budget team wasnt bringing it in any other way. It was a shame it went down how it did with Melnyk and the fanbase, but its done now and there are some nice pieces in place and things are as rosy as theyve ever been in Ottawa sans the injuries and crappy start this year.

We'll never get the historic run of players Pittsburgh got from theirs, but we've actually been lucky in that even though theyve bumped down in lotteries, theyve come out with some wise choices like Tkachuk, Stutzle and Sanderson.

Ownership change looming does add some intrigue since there's usually a regime change shortly thereafter or the existing one is kept with a very short leash.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
For me, I have to find a way to enjoy the journey, it’s to depressing to focus solely on winning championships, since it’s extremely difficult to do, and at a base level, unlikely to begin with.

Even the best teams now have gone through long periods of not winning, enough to crush plenty of souls lol.

At least the sucking during a completely rebuild serves a purpose. Dwelling in mediocrity has to be the absolute worst for me.
I can agree with not winning chips as the only reason to watch and its unreasonable for an expectation, but playoff excitement is where its at. Thats the reason I grab a team or two every year or have backup teams I half follow all year.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
A.) I don't appreciate your usage of the terms correct opinion.

B.) Not all rebuilds are equal. For that matter, I can't think of any other team ever completely cleaning house like we did. I'm not saying it was or wasn't the right move but we now have a completely new roster and our team is largely composed of the new young prospects we drafted. We didn't retain our Gallaghers etc. So it will be interesting to see where this all ends when you do it this way but it's going to be a long time before we can really assess whether it's all been worth it.

I want a cup. Look at how long tbat Avalanche core took to get one one. We're playing the long game here. All that matters is that the team keeps hoing in the right direction at this point and our players continue to develop.

A) I find your username funny so I tried to play with words. Another time I might say "this is the correct opinion"

B) True, and yes we went through a scorched earth rebuild but in 2018, we started with a very good prospect pool (Chabot as a rookie, Batherson, Formenton, Paul, White, Brown, goalies, etc) and very valuable assets in their PRIME (Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Pageau, etc)

We had an incredible opportunity to build an elite team but Dorion asset management, lack of foresight and huge blunders hurt the rebuild a lot. We might still become a contender but it could have been much better and faster.

You seem to be saying "we'll see when we get there" but you have to realize that Chabot turns 26 y/o in January. Batherson turns 25 y/o in April, etc. We need to compete YESTERDAY ASAP

C) We all want a Cup. I don't know but I feel like our window might be very small. But next management will have the opportunity to retool and keep the "right guys" (Stutzle, Sanderson, Pinto, etc)

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
A) I find your username funny so I tried to play with words. Another time I might say "this is the correct opinion"

B) True, and yes we went through a scorched earth rebuild but in 2018, we started with a very good prospect pool (Chabot as a rookie, Batherson, Formenton, Paul, White, Brown, goalies, etc) and very valuable assets in their PRIME (Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Pageau, etc)

We had an incredible opportunity to build an elite team but Dorion asset management, lack of foresight and huge blunders hurt the rebuild a lot. We might still become a contender but it could have been much better and faster.

You seem to be saying "we'll see when we get there" but you have to realize that Chabot turns 26 y/o in January. Batherson turns 25 y/o in April, etc. We need to compete YESTERDAY ASAP

C) We all want a Cup. I don't know but I feel like our window might be very small. But next management will have the opportunity to retool and keep the "right guys" (Stutzle, Sanderson, Pinto, etc)
I have a feeling that the retool that people have mentioned as a posibility will surprise with how big it will be. A new management group won't have any ties to the players and will see things very differently. This includes all the prospects. No basis for this feeling, just a thought that I can't shake.

• Wow
Reactions: Xspyrit

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I have a feeling that the retool that people have mentioned as a posibility will surprise with how big it will be. A new management group won't have any ties to the players and will see things very differently. This includes all the prospects. No basis for this feeling, just a thought that I can't shake.
I don’t see a single player we have signed right now to a long term deal that an ownership group wouldn’t be stoked to build around. The deals are all locked in for player primes, each guy has looked to well worth the money, and we have a ton of cap flexibility in terms of moving spare parts in and out. We’re also poised to start competing.

In my opinion it’s the perfect ready made situation to have for an owner, a GM and a coach to put their names on. We’ll hear the same comments from the new GM thanking Dorion and DJ for the job building and developing the team they took to the championships :)

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I don’t see a single player we have signed right now to a long term deal that an ownership group wouldn’t be stoked to build around. The deals are all locked in for player primes, each guy has looked to well worth the money, and we have a ton of cap flexibility in terms of moving spare parts in and out. We’re also poised to start competing.

In my opinion it’s the perfect ready made situation to have for an owner, a GM and a coach to put their names on. We’ll hear the same comments from the new GM thanking Dorion and DJ for the job building and developing the team they took to the championships :)
...and build a statue to DJ, retire the GM position in Dorions honour too? You gonna be surprised.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
...and build a statue to DJ, retire the GM position in Dorions honour too? You gonna be surprised.
I meant the new GM and coach… and I was referring how Burke referenced Murray for his work with the Ducks before leaving….

The point was about winning with a new management and coaching group… thought you’d like that to be honest.

Tough crowd.

Reactions: Loach

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
How many teams have there been over the last decade where the 1st line is the worst defensively?

Turning into the shitty version of the oilers in slow motion.

Reactions: bicboi64

tstracuzza

Jan 18, 2017
Seasons over. We suck, and our GM is to incompetent to do anything about our Moron coach…. Can’t believe I’m going to have to research too prospects again

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Sens need roughly 78 points in their remaining 60 games to get 94 points which would be bare minimum to even have a chance.
Thats 39-21 record. Thats a 107 point pace over a full season.

Yea…..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad