We should start now.... re: 1/25

Ron*

We should try to start a formal petition to NBCSN to let Bob and Jimmy do the Didger Stadium Game. Even if it doesn't work we could say we gave it our best. Sooner the better.

This is a non-starter. There are contractual obligations. You could get the population of the entire planet (about 7.1 billion) including the guys slated to announce the game, and it won't change anything.

So give it up. Sorry to be so blunt about it, but it gets tiring to see these threads pop up every playoff season (and obviously for special events as this).

By the way, I am a huge Bob Miller fan. Been listening to him since 1973, when he started with the Kings. Would love to see this happen. But it just isn't going to.

HolyShot*

Hell yeah. That'd be a great way to make up for not letting them really call the last two rounds of our cup run. And for all the years of suckage. Do it DEano.

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
Ron, I agree that you are most likely right, but I'd rather let NBC tell us no rather than just taking your (or anyone here, and I mean that with no offense) word for it.

We certainly can try, can't we?

Captain Mittens*

Ron, I agree that you are most likely right, but I'd rather let NBC tell us no rather than just taking your (or anyone here, and I mean that with no offense) word for it.

We certainly can try, can't we?
I would rather try to fight a winning battle.

What you want to accomplish is impossible. NBC will want to use it's own people.

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
Dingo, I agree with you as well, but until NBC tells me themselves I am going to hold out hope, no matter how foolish.

To quote Garth Brooks (albeit somewhat out of context) "As long as one heart still holds on, then hope is never really gone."

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
Couldn't care less since I'll be at the game, wearing my New Kings Poncho (courtesy of Dingo) while eating my 2 Didger Dogs! :naughty:

I will be there too, but when I get home I will want to watch it again and I would rather hear Bob on pxp I know it most likely won't happen, but I have to try.

BTW put me down for one of those ponchos too :)

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The only way it could happen would be for Bob/Jim to sign some sort of contract with NBC for the day.

Ron*

The only way it could happen would be for Bob/Jim to sign some sort of contract with NBC for the day.

This is a possibility, but I think CSNSportsNet would throw a fit. These contracts are pretty much CONTRACTS (emphasis added), where BOTH parties would have to agree to the exception.

It is also about branding an image. I would think that we will see the A Team for NBC for this game, which means Mike "Screaming Eagle" Emrick, Eddie "I was never really a King" Olczyk, and Pierre "I love Crosby's ass" McGuire.

Yeah, I don't think much of their A Team either. But its all they got.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
This is a possibility, but I think CSNSportsNet would throw a fit. These contracts are pretty much CONTRACTS (emphasis added), where BOTH parties would have to agree to the exception.

It is also about branding an image. I would think that we will see the A Team for NBC for this game, which means Mike "Screaming Eagle" Emrick, Eddie "I was never really a King" Olczyk, and Pierre "I love Crosby's ass" McGuire.

Yeah, I don't think much of their A Team either. But its all they got.

Right...there really is no good reason for NBC to want to use Bob/Jim except to cater to the home team fans. But NBC is looking to attract a lot more than just Kings fans. If you don't understand that, then you are not seeing the big picture.

TonySCV

Golden
Mar 2, 2004
Los Angeles, CA
No need to stifle people from trying this. Scully and Miller are both employed by the Dodgers and Kings respectively, not Fox or NBC, so theoretically NBC could employ Miller contractually on a game by game basis. Theoretically NBC could offer Bob a 1 game contract to call a game for them.

It's a long shot because it needs to make sense financially and this probably won't unless all their other on-the-payroll broadcasters are unavailable. Fox has Vin Scully available for their regular season baseball broadcasts on Saturdays and puts the living legend in a drawer to instead use Eric Karros or Ken Rosenthal. Miller is in the same boat.

I don't believe Miller or Scully need permission from the Dodgers or Kings to call other games outside of their contract (they may, but I'm sure they'd get the OK).

The only time NBC really does "on demand" contracts is in Round 1 and 2 of the playoffs when they have far more games to televise than folks on the payroll.

Doesn't hurt to try.

Last edited:

Ron*

No need to stifle people from trying this.

Doesn't hurt to try.

That's fine. Not my time to waste, so go for it.

You seem to be forgetting that they almost didn't let Bob and Jim even play announcer for a DVD in games 4, 5, and 6 of the SCF.

Then they let them, and they almost decided not to release it.

Given all that trouble they faced, its ridiculous to even think they will let one team's announcers (don't forget, there are two teams playing that day) trump not only the Ducks' announcers but also NBC staff announcers.

But as you said, let them try. I got better things to waste my time on. And I do, actually.

Waste time, I mean.

HolyShot*

Couldn't care less since I'll be at the game, wearing my New Kings Poncho (courtesy of Dingo) while eating my 2 Didger Dogs! :naughty:

Don't u wanna hear bob and jim on the radio while they play? Historic!

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
I came in this thread expecting... Nah. Hoping that it was something along the lines of "We should start now... re:1/25" begin drinking now... Man was I disappointed.

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
anyone want to volunteer for a Mexico run?

I am not allowed to leave the country for legal reasons, but I will help fun the trip

If you guys seriously plan a trip there, after speaking to my parents about them they said anywhere in Cabo San Lucas had them... It was just a matter of finding a place that had them for cheap, and that had a Kings one.

Captain Mittens*

If you guys seriously plan a trip there, after speaking to my parents about them they said anywhere in Cabo San Lucas had them... It was just a matter of finding a place that had them for cheap, and that had a Kings one.
Was this right after they won the cup. Hockey is almost never everywhere

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad