Post-Game Talk: We only need five players

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Who would have predicted at the beginning of this season..

Drai would be the NHL points leader, by a large margin..

qGIixf8.jpg

Yamamoto would be a key to this seasons success....
Mike Smith would fight Talbot..
We would have the best PP % in the league ..
Second best PK %...
K̶a̶s̶s̶i̶a̶n̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶s̶p̶e̶n̶d̶e̶d̶.̶.̶.̶
Bear would be on PP 1, for one game..
We have a Zombie on our team...
Toronto couldn't beat a 42 year old Zamboni driver..

What a long strange trip it's been....

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

qGIixf8.jpg

Second best PK %...

#HFOilLovesMelissa would be a thing

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
By my eyes Larsson has been fine the last 6 games. Statistically this seems to be born out as well. Over the last 6 games:

5 vs 5

106 minutes CF% 51.61% GF/60 3.39 GA/60 2.26 GF% 60% SCF% 48.91 HDCF% 48.72

In the same time frame you have

Nurse 119 min GA/60 3.04
Bear 110 min GA/60 3.26

Now these are small sample sizes but if he was getting caved in as you describe it would shot up at least in the CF% numbers.

He also has 13 hits over the last 6 games which is 3rd behind Nurse 17 and Archibald 17 for what it is worth. But watching him up close when I do have a chance to be at the game it is 100% clear to me that he is the hardest defender on the team to play against in terms of his physical game. He really does punish guys in a very old school fashion.

There is no point debating individual plays because these are basically where bias arises. We all see and remember things that reinforce our belief about players. The reality is that you could find similar things to say about virtually every defenseman or every player who puts on skates.

Being a #1D or who he was traded for is irrelevant with respect to the reason for my post that you quoted. It was in response to a quote of your post where you wrote:

Thanks for posting the numbers. I think at times this board slips into confirmation bias around players especially a guy like Larssen whose game is not predicated on flash and dash but rather tough, physical defensive play (the anti-sexy). Being dealt for a high skill winger whose game puts points on the board but not necessarily responsibility defensively that keeps pucks out of one's own net compounds the issue. Easy for we as fans to see the sizzle of high skill play but not necessarily the 'dull but worthy' defensive play that a player like Larssen delivers.

Larssen generally 'looks good' by my eye. He can struggle it seems at times with fast, aggressive forechecking tactics, but he makes it very unpleasant for opposition in front of the Oilers net and along the boards. His value, I think, comes out in tight playoff style games happening in this stretch drive and we saw too in the Oil playoff a few dog years ago. Far from a perfect player but someone who can stand up to the rigours of playoff grind doing the small stuff that contributes to team success. Not pretty but essential.

P.S. Where do you grab your numbers from?

Reactions: bucks_oil

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

qGIixf8.jpg

Second best PK %...

can someone start a Matthews vs Huberdeau thread on the mains? Would be some solid entertainment.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta

qGIixf8.jpg

Second best PK %...

I predicted it. !

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I predicted Drai would DRIVE offense...heh

I also predicted he was the player most worthy of having a dedicated username, which I've never done before in any board or this one. I knew Drai would be special. I liked the draft from the start. One of the things MacT got right.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I predicted Drai would DRIVE offense...heh

I also predicted he was the player most worthy of having a dedicated username, which I've never done before in any board or this one. I knew Drai would be special. I liked the draft from the start. One of the things MacT got right.

I was a big fan of his pre draft as well, that said he has basically blown all expectations out of the water and will continue to do so. The trio of Nuge-Drai-Yamamoto are all so good with their sticks in all 3 zones. There are no easy zone exits when they are on their game. What a dominant line.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Thanks for posting the numbers. I think at times this board slips into confirmation bias around players especially a guy like Larssen whose game is not predicated on flash and dash but rather tough, physical defensive play (the anti-sexy). Being dealt for a high skill winger whose game puts points on the board but not necessarily responsibility defensively that keeps pucks out of one's own net compounds the issue. Easy for we as fans to see the sizzle of high skill play but not necessarily the 'dull but worthy' defensive play that a player like Larssen delivers.

Larssen generally 'looks good' by my eye. He can struggle it seems at times with fast, aggressive forechecking tactics, but he makes it very unpleasant for opposition in front of the Oilers net and along the boards. His value, I think, comes out in tight playoff style games happening in this stretch drive and we saw too in the Oil playoff a few dog years ago. Far from a perfect player but someone who can stand up to the rigours of playoff grind doing the small stuff that contributes to team success. Not pretty but essential.

P.S. Where do you grab your numbers from?
The numbers are from Natural Stats Trick. It's pretty much the best site I know for these type of stats. The filters allow you to specify a date range.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Well hopefully Tipp can mould him.

Also semi-controversial opinion, no DoD Oilers team was as bad as the 2019-20 Detroit Red Wings. They are super-duper bad. They’re only the second team in NHL history that was eliminated from playoff contention before the trade deadline.
With a relatively weak western conference

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
By my eyes Larsson has been fine the last 6 games. Statistically this seems to be born out as well. Over the last 6 games:

5 vs 5

106 minutes CF% 51.61% GF/60 3.39 GA/60 2.26 GF% 60% SCF% 48.91 HDCF% 48.72

In the same time frame you have

Nurse 119 min GA/60 3.04
Bear 110 min GA/60 3.26

Now these are small sample sizes but if he was getting caved in as you describe it would shot up at least in the CF% numbers.

He also has 13 hits over the last 6 games which is 3rd behind Nurse 17 and Archibald 17 for what it is worth. But watching him up close when I do have a chance to be at the game it is 100% clear to me that he is the hardest defender on the team to play against in terms of his physical game. He really does punish guys in a very old school fashion.

There is no point debating individual plays because these are basically where bias arises. We all see and remember things that reinforce our belief about players. The reality is that you could find similar things to say about virtually every defenseman or every player who puts on skates.

Being a #1D or who he was traded for is irrelevant with respect to the reason for my post that you quoted. It was in response to a quote of your post where you wrote:
When Larsson has a beast of a game it gets noticed, which has happened a few times over this last month actually. When he has quietly effective games no one cares and often he'll get trashed for not producing points or for some random mistake during the game. Imo Larsson has been one of our best Ds this last month.

I am impressed that you are still engaging somewhat in this argument, I gave up (more or less) a while ago. Some people's minds are set, similar to what they are for Nurse and Klefbom.

Last edited:

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
When Larsson has a beast of a game it gets noticed, which has happened a few times over this last month actually. When he has quietly effective games no one cares and often he'll get trashed for not producing points or for some random mistake during the game. Imo Larsson has been one of our best Ds this last month.

I am impressed that you are still engaging somewhat in this argument, I gave up (more or less) a while ago. Some people's minds are set, similar to what they are for Nurse and Klefbom.

It almost seems like he is rising to the occasion to help out Jones much like Nurse has done for Bear(I know some will not agree) and like Benning has done for everyone on the 3rd pair.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
It almost seems like he is rising to the occasion to help out Jones much like Nurse has done for Bear(I know some will not agree) and like Benning has done for everyone on the 3rd pair.
Agreed almost 100%.

All of our top3 D (Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson) have been logging big minutes with rookie Ds. How good the rookies have looked is partly due to that they are just good, but alot has to do with their partner.

Nurse Bear - no comment really necessary
Klefa Persson - looked good for longer than I thought, and imo not thanks to Persson.
Jones Larsson - ups and dows but they have been damn solid as 2nd pair.

Not convinced about Benning, but for the rest I am with you.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

Larsson's been good for a while now but is a flawed defenseman that ultimately does not suit the clearly superior Oscar Klefbom. So who is he going to play with and can his 4M be spent elsewhere is my focus.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Agreed almost 100%.

All of our top3 D (Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson) have been logging big minutes with rookie Ds. How good the rookies have looked is partly due to that they are just good, but alot has to do with their partner.

Nurse Bear - no comment really necessary
Klefa Persson - looked good for longer than I thought, and imo not thanks to Persson.
Jones Larsson - ups and dows but they have been damn solid as 2nd pair.

Not convinced about Benning, but for the rest I am with you.
Benning is very good as long as he is left on the bottom pair. He was excellent for Jones before Klef got hurt and he is actually very good with Russell as well(not one of our other D can claim any sort of chemistry with Rusty).

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Larsson's been good for a while now but is a flawed defenseman that ultimately does not suit the clearly superior Oscar Klefbom. So who is he going to play with and can his 4M be spent elsewhere is my focus.
That first part I don't really get, and well, I disagree.

He is the same D who was a very good #2 in New Jersey in 14/15, 15/16 and in decent here in 16/17. He was the IIHF WHC tournament and team D MVP while playing with OEL, Klingberg, Lindholm, Ekholm, when Sweden won the gold in 2017.

I much prefer a Larsson on the back end making $4M than a Bonino, Johansson, Sutter etc. That's the price range, even though I think it's going up fast. Next season you could be chosing between a Kassian or a Larsson for $4M.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Benning is very good as long as he is left on the bottom pair. He was excellent for Jones before Klef got hurt and he is actually very good with Russell as well(not one of our other D can claim any sort of chemistry with Rusty).
Right now I am more than ok with Benning, but that is because we already have Bear and Jones on the team. Next year I want to see Bouchard in that 3rd RD spot, and it won't be at the cost of either Bear or Larsson. They are much more valuable than Benning.

Benning is perfectly fine, but the spot he is perfectly fine in is the one we need at least half open for Bouchard to get a try.

Probably there will be injuries though, so there is that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad