Post-Game Talk: We only need five players

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Despite me being a pretty vocal defender of koskinen, smiths performances since the new year, and this one especially have him solidified in my head as the goalie we lean on going into the playoffs and the stretch to make it there.

Was there any doubt? Koskinen is no #1 NHL starter. He allows terrible goals at terrible times

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Ah, here he is a number one. Does not mean he is a legit #1 though, just that he might be the best we have right now(I still disagree as I feel Klefbom is not great 5 vs 5).

The reality is is that a lot of teams do not have a real #1, and most rely on two 1B's to play. I think the poster is refering to the true #1's. The guys that are up for the Norris every year. We do not have that type of player here.

exactly.

Nobody would confuse Klef with that.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
It's not a secret that our team only started to struggle once Klefbom got hurt. Even with McDavid out we were still winning.
5 wins out of 13 in December.

Since the Klefbom injury the Oilers have collected 6 points out of 12.

We struggled with him and without him.....

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I think in order to work with McDavid you need one of two things in particular

1) You have to be a High IQ player. I think this is why Draisaitl works with him. Unfortunately theres not many players with that level of hockey IQ.
2) You have to be extremely predictable so that McDavid knows what you are going to do. The player has to be able to make plays though. McDavid is moving so fast that he has to know what the other player is going to do. I think this is why Maroon worked well at times with him. He played a very simple game. Good in the corners, good in front of the net. I could see Ennis having some chemistry with McDavid, he seems to play a pretty solid/predictable game.
I'd really like to see what Yamamoto could do with McDavid and Draisaitl when he comes back. I know it's not the best idea to break the RNH - McDavid - Yamamoto line up but seeing a glimpse of McDavid playing along side Yamamoto on the power play would be interesting. Those two could have chemistry we've never had the chance to see yet.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Was there any doubt? Koskinen is no #1 NHL starter. He allows terrible goals at terrible times
To be fair, Smith is no starter either, but he's picked it up lately. Neither guy inspires confidence as a starting goalie, but Smiths career sees his numbers improve down the stretch and into the playoffs, so he's the guy from here out as far as I'm concerned.

I'll be really interested to see what Holland does in the offseason as far as goaltenders go. He has to know his biggest weakness this offseason is going to be his goaltending. Koskinen has looked better this year than last year, but I don't think they consider him a starter, and smiths age is going to catch up with him. Koskinen also has that stupid modified NTC which makes things more difficult.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Ah, here he is a number one. Does not mean he is a legit #1 though, just that he might be the best we have right now(I still disagree as I feel Klefbom is not great 5 vs 5).

The reality is is that a lot of teams do not have a real #1, and most rely on two 1B's to play. I think the poster is refering to the true #1's. The guys that are up for the Norris every year. We do not have that type of player here.
My math says every team has 2 top pair d and not all are great at it but still top pair. Legit top d as they are playing top d. Nobody can say otherwise. It is possible one team has better second pairing better than someone else's top d. May even be possible one team having 2 top d and others having none but no matter what there are a fixed amount of top line D. One could argue top d are by stats not location but still fixed amount.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
no, the talk at the time when Nashville traded Seth Jones, they were looking for a Center, and RNH was one of the options....
Nashville opted for RyJo because he was "big"

Cult of Hockey: Oilers offered Nugent-Hopkins for Seth Jones, Spector reports

“Multiple sources have confirmed to Sportsnet that Edmonton general manager Peter Chiarelli offered centre Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to Nashville in a bid to land defenceman Seth Jones,” wrote Spector.
Spector added: “A source explained that Johansen’s size advantage — he’s 6-foot-3 and 218 lbs., compared to 6-foot, 189 lbs. for Nugent-Hopkins — tipped the scales, as it were.”

RyJo
2010 Draft

Tambo & Lowe really liked RyJo
They had already decided on Hall and wanted a centre after passing on Seguin.

A team (Columbus?) called Tambo on the draft floor and offered the 4th overall pick.

Tambo hung up the phone. When immediately asked at the draft table what they were offered he said “They wanted Jordan Eberle” and the table broke out laughing...

Reactions: booyakasha

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
tumblr_pyzfrnzjSe1u9773so2_540.gif

Smith, Drai, McDavid, RNH and Melissa.
Looks like Taylor Swift here..

Reactions: TB12

Captain Fantastic

Connor McMastadon
Feb 24, 2012
YEG
Nuge has been "that guy" for like 8 different coaches in the NHL, yet so many people have been screaming to trade him for quite some time now because he apparently just isn't that good.

:huh:
Nuge is 3/4th forward and 1/4 defenseman. A complete two-way player. He should always be used at the beginning of OT with McD or Drai. Other coaches salivate over this guy for good reason.

Reactions: ujju2

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Exactly 31 1D.

So you are saying that all defensmen are created equally?
Let's put it this way, if Sheahan was the only center we had left(say all the other ones asked to be traded) by default does that make Riley Sheahan a legit number one center in the league?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I don't think that's entirely unexpected. Ennis is a 30 year old vet whos always been a high energy guy with offensive skills, he just couldn't stay healthy. Now this year he's been healthy and been having a solid season production wise.

AA on the other hand seems like the kind of guy who's more used to being the one in charge on a line, and is gonna take a bit of time to get used to not being the guy to drive the line. I have high hopes for him, but Ennis playing better than him short term makes sense to me. Hopefully AA can put it together soon though.

I'd give AA his own line and let him play his game. He's got so much potential. I love Ennis. His and McDavid's chemistry is growing. Resign AA and Ennis please PLEASE

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
RyJo
2010 Draft

Tambo & Lowe really liked RyJo
They had already decided on Hall and wanted a centre after passing on Seguin.

A team (Columbus?) called Tambo on the draft floor and offered the 4th overall pick.

Tambo hung up the phone. When immediately asked at the draft table what they were offered he said “They wanted Jordan Eberle” and the table broke out laughing...

For good reason, and I distinctly remember fans agreeing with him for saying no.

Trading the hockey Canada hero who was looking like a surefire top line player for a lottery ticket would have been dumb. Especially considering even after many have written him off, Eberle still maintains a higher career ppg than Johansen, including 2 more points in 10 less games this year.

Reactions: Moreaupheus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad