Post-Game Talk: We only need five players

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I'd give AA his own line and let him play his game. He's got so much potential. I love Ennis. His and McDavid's chemistry is growing. Resign AA and Ennis please PLEASE

Yeah I agree. Let him play with Haas and Neal or something where he can play the game he’s used to playing as a line driver while he gets used to the new team.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Melissa is pretty but not gorgeous. Still way out of my league (justice)
giphy.gif

OfCorsiDid

Ah shit, here we go again
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Bear got walked around by Wheeler.... Why is no one saying anything about that?

I think because he’s a rookie and he got walked by a highly skilled veteran. I mean it sucked, wasn’t a good play, but Nurse wasn’t even looking for his man, he just collapsed to the net.

I’d say that Bear holds the lions-share of the blame on that goal but Nurse wasn’t blame-less either.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Ennnis to the PB, I think, but maybe he displaces Nygard, Hass or Khaira. he did show some flashes of skill, but I am not convinced he will be on the ice when injured guys return. I actually liked Khaira's effort. He was good on the PK too. But man, that 4th line was pathetic in the offensive zone most of the time.

Uhhhhhh

Reactions: TB12

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
For good reason, and I distinctly remember fans agreeing with him for saying no.

Trading the hockey Canada hero who was looking like a surefire top line player for a lottery ticket would have been dumb. Especially considering even after many have written him off, Eberle still maintains a higher career ppg than Johansen, including 2 more points in 10 less games this year.

Agreed
Just kinda neat looking back 10 years in hindsight.

Reactions: 3IR

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I gave no time frame for my comment, thus not alluding to the time frame that you just detail here. I was looking at what Larsson has been like in a stint the past half a dozen games in which he has hit hardly anything (despite the team really being outgunned and outmatched in that regard), or that he scored a goal in his own net with a perfect blade directed redirection, or that last night he was on for a clear breakaway in which neither he or his rookie D picked up a guy wide open behind them. Or getting hemmed in countless times, not moving the puck crisply and for instance last night having a bad pressure sequence only because he didn't decision puck movement quicker.

Do you think his play has been solid last 6 games?

Larsson by my eye has been pretty ordinary this season. Certainly nothing that suggests trading an MVP player for. Larsson is here to be the #1 D. Always. Simple as that. He's supposed to be that fish in the sea. He's rarely been that in assignments, minutes played, usage etc. He's a clear fallen back player that is undisputably behind the better contributions of Nurse, Klef, Bear, and with that list primed to increase as our platoon of D prospects develop.

Unfortunately other than 1 season we haven't got what was advertised out of this player.
By my eyes Larsson has been fine the last 6 games. Statistically this seems to be born out as well. Over the last 6 games:

5 vs 5

106 minutes CF% 51.61% GF/60 3.39 GA/60 2.26 GF% 60% SCF% 48.91 HDCF% 48.72

In the same time frame you have

Nurse 119 min GA/60 3.04
Bear 110 min GA/60 3.26

Now these are small sample sizes but if he was getting caved in as you describe it would shot up at least in the CF% numbers.

He also has 13 hits over the last 6 games which is 3rd behind Nurse 17 and Archibald 17 for what it is worth. But watching him up close when I do have a chance to be at the game it is 100% clear to me that he is the hardest defender on the team to play against in terms of his physical game. He really does punish guys in a very old school fashion.

There is no point debating individual plays because these are basically where bias arises. We all see and remember things that reinforce our belief about players. The reality is that you could find similar things to say about virtually every defenseman or every player who puts on skates.

Being a #1D or who he was traded for is irrelevant with respect to the reason for my post that you quoted. It was in response to a quote of your post where you wrote:

Disconnected comment, and I love Bear, but my lord. 5 mistakes on one shift leading up to a GA. This is what you get sometimes leaning on a rookie D so heavily. Too bad Larsson is playing like crap. Bear needs to be getting less minutes.

NashtoNowitzki

Jan 8, 2019
Eberle was and still is a good player. He's been a top 6 forward for a decade and is currently on a bit of a heater. Had a great playoffs last year. Probably gonna get 20 & 50 again despite missing a month. The idea that was some grand missed opportunity is ridiculous. They're the same tier of player.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
I think because he’s a rookie and he got walked by a highly skilled veteran. I mean it sucked, wasn’t a good play, but Nurse wasn’t even looking for his man, he just collapsed to the net.

I’d say that Bear holds the lions-share of the blame on that goal but Nurse wasn’t blame-less either.

On that exact play as a defensman when your partner gets walked your duties switch. Nurse had his man until Bear got walked and then had to shift into "oh crap" mode and attempt(unsuccessfully) to cover two guys.

GOilers88

Upside Down Canadian Flag
Dec 24, 2016
And Morgan Reilly got walked by McDavid. Doesn't mean he still isn't an elite defenseman.

Every defenseman in the league gets walked at some point by someone. If that one play stands out amongst his whole rookie season thus far as something that needs to be talked about I feel like you haven't been watching.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton

TBH, I have a lot more understanding for a guy making a decision to stand a guy up and getting walked than I do his partner seeing that and making the only awful decision possible. He's not going to get over and take Wheeler, he's not going to stay on his own guy and cancel out the cross seam pass. No, he's going to skate towards the net and lay down for no reason.

I'd be less frustrated if he didn't let the Jets get behind him twice already.

94 Oil Drops

McHy is the new McDrai.
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I've read some of the back and forth regarding this, and I think you're on to something here. McD needs a shooter with at least enough hands to catch his passes and quickly fire the puck on net. Is that AA? I'm really not sure that he is that kind of player (as in I'm actually ignorant on his skillset, I haven't watched him prior to him playing here), but it does seem that he would be most comfortable being the "Davo Light" by being the guy who gains solid zone entries and keeps the opposing team's depth sweating. I also think Archie/Sheahan are good enough to keep up while mitigating any of AA's defensive deficiencies.

Going back to McD needing a high slot/top of circle shooter with good enough hands, let's see what our options are:

Drai - holy God yes but obviously he needs to drive his own line, which by now the debate has been settled - he IS the man.
Nuge - to me this is a really ideal fit. His wrister is dangerous on either side of the ice, but again obviously at this point you don't break him apart from Drai so that's out.
Kass - doesn't really fit this need at all. He's a grinder with decent IQ and surprisingly decent passing, but shooter and hands he is not.
Neal - Man this guy has the potential to be the shooter, but IDK, he just doesn't have it 5v5 or on the rush at all. Love what he has given us this season on the PP though.
Yamo - don't think he has much of a shot, but could be wrong there. I think he's fantastic behind the net, in the corners, and in tight. Really a perfect complimentary player to feed Drai in the high slot.
Tennis - Ignorant to his ability as a shooter. Maybe, maybe not?
Chia - What a frustrating player. I actually think he can rip the puck, we've seen it before last season and in snippets this season, but the guy just doesn't have it really in any scenario. Also, my God does he ever have stone hands. I've only been playing hockey for 5 years myself and, not shitting you, I have better hands than he does.
Archie - Great grinder/clock killer, doesn't fit this need whatsoever.
Sheahan - Similar to Archie, but a little worse in every way.
Haas - No. Needs to be on the 4th and kill clock.
Khaira - LOL. Another super frustrating player. This guy has all the tools to eat up clock and do the dirty work in the corners, but he doesn't even do that anymore. Stone hands; might actually be worse than Chia. It's actually comical how many wide open nets from 5 feet out he's biffed throughout his career.
Nygard - Not sure this guy even makes the roster when he gets back.
PRuss - No. Send him back to AHL for life, like ASAP.
Granlund - I think his NHL career is about over. Just don't see much out of this player.
Jurco - This guy has the potential to be a slippery and shifty player, but don't see him ever filling this role. Hard to tell obviously from the injury before the season even started.
Benson - Not a shooter. Will be a decent depth playmaker at some point.

That's (I think?) every winger we have. Not really a single compelling choice to fit this role for Davo...so for right now -- right right now -- I think ultimately, we have to put AA with Davo and see what he can do. If AA just never gets it together for the rest of this season, then I'm all for throwing him to depth and letting him be Davo Light next season, and then we go out in the summer and go hunt for a shooter (I'll give my left nut for Hoffman).
I think we just need to draft a real good winger.

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
So you are saying that all defensmen are created equally?
Let's put it this way, if Sheahan was the only center we had left(say all the other ones asked to be traded) by default does that make Riley Sheahan a legit number one center in the league?
Yes and no. He is our number 1 centre so he is a number 1 centre. Legit. And we are in the league so...
You could argue the top 31 centres are the only number 1s and they are not fairly distributed.

But to say there are only 6 or 7 legit would be incorrect.

I don't think the numbers really matter we all get the jist of it all. We don't have one of the elite D in the league. We are real lucky though we have the 2 absolutely best centre's and even Nuge is darn good (and versatile). Hopefully one of our young D become great. High hopes for Bear. Seems to be an all around good rookie.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
And Morgan Reilly got walked by McDavid. Doesn't mean he still isn't an elite defenseman.

Every defenseman in the league gets walked at some point by someone. If that one play stands out amongst his whole rookie season thus far as something that needs to be talked about I feel like you haven't been watching.

My favorite example:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I mentioned the numbers cause someone said it must be double digit?
Slow your roll.

Also Nurse is a vet in the league now so he is held to higher standards than a rookie, how is that surprising to you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad