We need grit

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think Samberg will provide some grit in the top 4 this coming year. A big body, who takes the man, and is strong defensively to disrupt the opposition, will make it harder to play against the Jets.

Kulikov had his moments but Samberg will be much more effective, IMO.

I wouldn’t object to bringing Hamonic on board, but I see a rotation on the 3 pairing with him and Poolman. Neither will play a full season injury free due to their shot blocking and/or physicality, so that should work fine. I wouldn’t pay Hammer $3M a year though.

It’s at forward I would like to see a bit more sandpaper be added, and in a top 6 spot. Adding size and sandpaper to the bottom 6 or 4th line, won’t move the needle IMO, as they don’t play enough minutes to make a difference.

Our Central rivals have guys like Benn, Schenn, Landeskog and Kadri. Our top 6 has an aging Wheeler perhaps.

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
The worst trade ever was dumping Mason's contract. I mean It would had made sense If we resigned Stastny, but Chevy lowballed. We give up a 4th, a 7th, and Armia. Could It had been a lot easier just buying out his last year. I think It would had cost about 3 million spread over 2 years. Chump change. Grit gone.

Then Chevy sends Lemieux and a first round pick for Hayes. Grit gone.

Chevy lowballs again with Chiarot. Offers a 3x4 deal. Habs offer 3.5x3. Grit gone again.

Tanev. Grit gone.

We got ballerinas here in WPG. There is no way this team even makes It to wildcard status for many years. Unless they start a rebuild or a refresher.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think Samberg will provide some grit in the top 4 this coming year. A big body, who takes the man, and is strong defensively to disrupt the opposition, will make it harder to play against the Jets.

Kulikov had his moments but Samberg will be much more effective, IMO.

I wouldn’t object to bringing Hamonic on board, but I see a rotation on the 3 pairing with him and Poolman. Neither will play a full season injury free due to their shot blocking and/or physicality, so that should work fine. I wouldn’t pay Hammer $3M a year though.

It’s at forward I would like to see a bit more sandpaper be added, and in a top 6 spot. Adding size and sandpaper to the bottom 6 or 4th line, won’t move the needle IMO, as they don’t play enough minutes to make a difference.

Our Central rivals have guys like Benn, Schenn, Landeskog and Kadri. Our top 6 has an aging Wheeler perhaps.

I'd like a Beaulieu-Hamonic bottom pairing. If you are playing with Lowry, the game isn't so much about making seam passes, but winning board battles, and getting a good hit in, when the opportunity is there. You'd still have the speed and puck pursuit angle with guys like Harkins and Roslovic on the wing. Or the added positional side if it's Copp. But at least a little bit of boom in the lineup.

Samberg should help Pionk out. Which isn't to take away from Kulikov, as he was physically very strong in battle.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I think there is a mantra that our speed will win, but boy look around the league. Who's looking to be the favourites as top 4. Tampa after a record season, when everyone was saying skill wins, and then got outed in the 1st round, by a more physical team, goes out and sign Luke Schenn and Patrick Maroon for the offseason, adds bottom line grit, Coleman and Goodrow and the deadline. Looking prettier now.

NY Isles are the opposite of the analytic dream. They give up a lot of shots. They have the old fashioned 4th line that hits when it can (which some analytics people on here, now in Washington, said was useless). Gritty lineup, with limited star power.

Dallas. The overage team. Their coach is a Winnipeg Jets 1.0 relic. Well they are beating the crap out of everyone on their road. Old timers too, making a difference. Who knew?

Vegas. Another team with a tough 4th line, that throws out hits. Lots of grit throughout the lineup.

Is the goalies, Vasilevsky is legit. Lehner? Who has Varlamov and Khudobin in their pools.

All have big physical defenses, with the exception of Heiskanen, who is a world class skater.

All have checking lines, to complement their scoring lines.

Is it time to say that maybe the Jets need more toughness, because skill alone isn't always going to win? And by toughness, maybe a harder road to get to the net, and players who go to the net. And a value on hitting again.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think there is a mantra that our speed will win, but boy look around the league. Who's looking to be the favourites as top 4. Tampa after a record season, when everyone was saying skill wins, and then got outed in the 1st round, by a more physical team, goes out and sign Luke Schenn and Patrick Maroon for the offseason, adds bottom line grit, Coleman and Goodrow and the deadline. Looking prettier now.

NY Isles are the opposite of the analytic dream. They give up a lot of shots. They have the old fashioned 4th line that hits when it can (which some analytics people on here, now in Washington, said was useless). Gritty lineup, with limited star power.

Dallas. The overage team. Their coach is a Winnipeg Jets 1.0 relic. Well they are beating the crap out of everyone on their road. Old timers too, making a difference. Who knew?

Vegas. Another team with a tough 4th line, that throws out hits. Lots of grit throughout the lineup.

Is the goalies, Vasilevsky is legit. Lehner? Who has Varlamov and Khudobin in their pools.

All have big physical defenses, with the exception of Heiskanen, who is a world class skater.

Is it time to say that maybe the Jets need more toughness, because skill alone isn't always going to win? And by toughness, maybe a harder road to get to the net, and players who go to the net. And a value on hitting again.

Well the Lightning are beating the crap out of the big bad Bruins so I wouldn't be so quick on the grit crusade. Also Dallas is winning more so with skill and discipline in positioning then they are with grit. If anything the Aves have thrown the more punishing hits in that series. If you look at their rosters Colorado is the more physically imposing team. Their top line is full of big bruising players in Mackinnon/Landescog and Rantanen. They also have a more gritty bottom 6. Colorado's issue is goaltending and lack of talent outside their top line.

Vancouver is just not experienced enough yet but they loaded up on grit two years ago with bringing in guys like Miller, Roussel, Beagle, Ferland, drafting Virtanen etc.

And yes the Jets ideally need to diversify their roster a bit but it can't just be buy adding bottom 6 bruisers ala the Canucks. You players with size that have talent.

Reactions: ps241

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

We are to invested in a soft skilled game. It would take more change in one off season then the last 9 combined to make this happen. We are very very soft.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Well the Lightning are beating the crap out of the big bad Bruins so I wouldn't be so quick on the grit crusade. Also Dallas is winning more so with skill and discipline in positioning then they are with grit. If anything the Aves have thrown the more punishing hits in that series. If you look at their rosters Colorado is the more physically imposing team. Their top line is full of big bruising players in Mackinnon/Landescog and Rantanen. They also have a more gritty bottom 6. Colorado's issue is goaltending and lack of talent outside their top line.

Vancouver is just not experienced enough yet but they loaded up on grit two years ago with bringing in guys like Miller, Roussel, Beagle, Ferland, drafting Virtanen etc.

And yes the Jets ideally need to diversify their roster a bit but it can't just be buy adding bottom 6 bruisers ala the Canucks. You players with size that have talent.

How can Landeskog and Rantanen be more physically imposing than Jamie Benn, and Corey Perry. And Radulov is a tank. Isn't Benn the reason why Tkachuk went out, and then Erik Johnson? Who's made him answer the bell? Ryan Reaves running over Hughes last night, leading to a goal. Playoffs are a different animal. When Adam Lowry's become more important.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
We are to invested in a soft skilled game. It would take more change in one off season then the last 9 combined to make this happen. We are very very soft.

I'm not sure we have the guys who will go to the net to score playoff goals. We like to generate rush chances but those seem to be more limited come playoffs, when details are more important. I don't think it would take a monumental change, but I do think we need to adapt.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
How can Landeskog and Rantanen be more physically imposing than Jamie Benn, and Corey Perry. And Radulov is a tank. Isn't Benn the reason why Tkachuk went out, and then Erik Johnson? Who's made him answer the bell? Ryan Reaves running over Hughes last night, leading to a goal. Playoffs are a different animal. When Adam Lowry's become more important.

Ladescog is just as physical as Benn is. Mackinon is the best combination of skill, physicality and speed in the NHL right now, he can't be contained. The Tkachuk thing was a fluke, his head got knocked into another player, the hit itself was nothing all that special.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I'm not sure we have the guys who will go to the net to score playoff goals. We like to generate rush chances but those seem to be more limited come playoffs, when details are more important. I don't think it would take a monumental change, but I do think we need to adapt.

We also don’t have anyone that clears our net front . The middle of the entire ice is a free for all against us .

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Watch the rough and tumble playoffs progress, and compare it to how the Jets handled just a tiny bit of physicality from the Flames. We are just no where close to being able to compete in playoff hockey. We just aren't built for it anymore. It would be one thing if our new 'fast' team was truly quick and fast but it's not.

So we moved away from a big, strong, gritty, quick & fast pack of wolves team, to a small, average quickness on the whole, passive perimeter game team that lacks grit. Our undersized guys are experts at being the second one to the boards or the corner in a race to the puck, in an effort of self preservation. Has any team undergone such a drastic reduction in on ice performance and grit over a two year span? Can't think of one in recent years.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Watch the rough and tumble playoffs progress, and compare it to how the Jets handled just a tiny bit of physicality from the Flames. We are just no where close to being able to compete in playoff hockey. We just aren't built for it anymore. It would be one thing if our new 'fast' team was truly quick and fast but it's not.

So we moved away from a big, strong, gritty, quick & fast pack of wolves team, to a small, average quickness on the whole, passive perimeter game team that lacks grit. Our undersized guys are experts at being the second one to the boards or the corner in a race to the puck, in an effort of self preservation. Has any team undergone such a drastic reduction in on ice performance and grit over a two year span? Can't think of one in recent years.

I personally think we need a new coach. The team keeps taking steps back under Maurice.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg

Bang on , great post

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I think the Bruins, but that has more to do with the East being a skilled conference, though that is certainly going to be reconsidered given how Tampa beefed up for the playoffs, and the Isles are winning with the grittiest of lineups.

It's a different team without Buff. I think some players play smaller without him. Curiously it was Ehlers who was the most tenacious player all year, and that's a real nice sign from him, as I thought he was exactly as you said, second on the puck in the board battles, previously. Laine also showed more power in his game than years past. Which is what we need from him.

I think the Jets want a high tempo team, generating speed. Problem is that defense. Any team in the NHL knows that you negate a team's speed when you make them play in their own end. Especially if you can have good cycle shifts that wear out defenses and tend to draw tired players into penalties.

I think we need a defenseman who can settle scores out there, and isn't afraid to take 5 minutes in the box to protect the stars. Also some cycle breaking d-men, who make the road to the net more difficult, allowing us to transition to offense.

We probably need to move on from Perreault as a 4th liner, with limited energy, and inadequate size to play a possession game.

I don't want to lose the skill aspect, because skill can win you games, sometimes easier than hard work. But there should be room for some grit in the offseason, as its a hole in the lineup. If we signed Joel Edmunson to play with Morrissey, and Travis Hamonic to play with Heinola, I think we'd be alot better in this department.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I wonder if taking away Laine’s video games would give you the meanness you want or if he turns into a baby and demands out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad