We Might Be the Youngest in the League

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Each year they do a spread on teams. 26 and change is usually youngest; 28 and change is usually oldest. Detroit has regularly challenged to be oldest in the league for a loooonnnnngggg time and they are only now getting younger.

WA,
Thanks for the math; the reality is that the Sharks will be in the older group . . . again. The Sharks were among the youngest when DW was first GM. Until the Clowe and Murray trades, he was consistently pushing the team in the direction of older.

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
A bit hard to read, but here are last years numbers. As I noted yesterday, with a few changes the Sharks could be just a tad older than LA.

You can see it a bit better on the site: http://www.quanthockey.com/TS/TS_AverageAge.php

Teams%20Age%202014.png

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Thanks for the chart LZ. I don't have a problem with age on the team. It has more to do with specific players and mix. LA was a major aberration last playoffs getting a lot of scoring from their older players (Gaborik and Williams). Usually you want your team constructed around offense from your younger guys. Age doesn't matter so much for playoff dmen. And, you generally want your goalie under age 33 (there are a couple of exceptions).

What I do object to coming from DW is the inaccuracies. If the team is older, say it. If he is getting younger but it isn't there yet, fine. Just say so. It's like the thing about fast. He constructed a fast team when he was first GM. The team speed dropped for the next decade but he still claimed speed even when the team didn't have it. To me, it is treating the fans like morons and sort of making himself look like a used car salesman or worse. Long ago, I worked in automotive and they had kits where you could take something as simple as a Chevy chassis and slap a fiberglass mockup of a Rolls Royce body on it. It's like he is trying to sell that Chevy/Rolls for the price of a genuine Rolls. It isn't a Rolls and you would be in for a big surprise if you wished to resell it as such to anybody who had the common sense to take it to his mechanic before buying. It's a kind of fraud.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Thanks for the chart LZ. I don't have a problem with age on the team. It has more to do with specific players and mix. LA was a major aberration last playoffs getting a lot of scoring from their older players (Gaborik and Williams). Usually you want your team constructed around offense from your younger guys. Age doesn't matter so much for playoff dmen. And, you generally want your goalie under age 33 (there are a couple of exceptions).

What I do object to coming from DW is the inaccuracies. If the team is older, say it. If he is getting younger but it isn't there yet, fine. Just say so. It's like the thing about fast. He constructed a fast team when he was first GM. The team speed dropped for the next decade but he still claimed speed even when the team didn't have it. To me, it is treating the fans like morons and sort of making himself look like a used car salesman or worse. Long ago, I worked in automotive and they had kits where you could take something as simple as a Chevy chassis and slap a fiberglass mockup of a Rolls Royce body on it. It's like he is trying to sell that Chevy/Rolls for the price of a genuine Rolls. It isn't a Rolls and you would be in for a big surprise if you wished to resell it as such to anybody who had the common sense to take it to his mechanic before buying. It's a kind of fraud.

Now where have I heard that before... :laugh:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
The forthcoming explanation for the quote is going to be even more bizarre than the original.

Yup say one quote a month, spend rest of the month clarifying it by saying how its not really what the media and fans think it means.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Yup say one quote a month, spend rest of the month clarifying it by saying how its not really what the media and fans think it means.

Distract the fans from really assessing the job that he is doing. Have them chase down meaningless quotes.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Who wants to geek-out on age stats and do them weighted by TOI?

Honestly, I don't think Hannan, Burish, or Scott are going to get much TOI anyways.

FeedingFrenzy

Oct 26, 2009
you could roll this-

pavs-jt-goldy
patty-juicy-wingels
torres-hertl-nieto
shepp-desi-tierney

vlasic-burns
Mueller-braun
Irwin-demers

stalock

I would be excited to watch this. good mix of youth and a few potential bumps but the reward outweighs the negative imo.

Goldy pots 30, 2nd line goes for 80g 100a, Nieto /Hertl develop some chemistry with Torres to police them, 4th line has some potential to do some damage.:)

Coy

Feb 25, 2014
SF
I honestly have no idea what is going on or if anything is going on in DW's brain. Unless he has some magical plan on not having our old vets play we are one of the oldest teams in the league not youngest.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
Who wants to geek-out on age stats and do them weighted by TOI?

Honestly, I don't think Hannan, Burish, or Scott are going to get much TOI anyways.

How is John Scott going to protect the younger players if he isn't playing? And even if those guys aren't playing, they're preventing youngers player from being with the team, merely by being on the roster.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if we approached youngest 5 by next year, as I assume Hannan, Burish, and Scott will be gone (possibly a mistake to assume this). Replace Tennysson, Irwin, and Hannan with Mueller, Shauser, and Doherty (awful lot of youth there), Niemi with Groesenik; and Soctt, Burish, and Kennedy with Tierney, Hamilton, and Goldobin.

Replace Sheppard, Burish, Scott, Kennedy, and Desjardins with Hamilton, Tierney, Goldobin, Gooderow, and McGinn.

Brings the average to 26.2. Personally, I think Scott, Kennedy, and Burish will be gone, and I expect Tierney/Hamilton, Goldobin, and McGinn or someone else, to take those spots in the near future.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
How is John Scott going to protect the younger players if he isn't playing? And even if those guys aren't playing, they're preventing youngers player from being with the team, merely by being on the roster.

I think you just answered it. He'll either be a benchwarmer or a press-box season pass holder. I also like how we are so bored in this thread we're pretending the organizational goal is to get the average age down instead of... you know... win games.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I think you just answered it. He'll either be a benchwarmer or a press-box season pass holder. I also like how we are so bored in this thread we're pretending the organizational goal is to get the average age down instead of... you know... win games.

Wilson hasn't exactly done or said a whole lot to instill confidence in the fans that he intends on trying to win this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad