Post-Game Talk: We Lost. When's Next Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
"LA won't be a tough game with Quick out"

I still can't believe the arrogance of some people, or the giant homerism. This team is very young and talented but they are not a good TEAM yet. Give it time. How can you say that a game against a team like the LA Kings is not going to be tough?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Perhaps it was. Either way though, it's just an example of how easily (even when guys are in position) players can just walk right in untouched and have all kinds of time to wind up or look for a good pass

It was a 3 on 2. Nobody got walked on that play. The d'man and Marner played the lanes and the kings played it perfect to open space for the shooter.
Jvr put himself out of position in the neutral zone instead of back checking.
The 3rd goal doesn't support your argument.

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
I still can't believe the arrogance of some people, or the giant homerism. This team is very young and talented but they are not a good TEAM yet. Give it time. How can you say that a game against a team like the LA Kings is not going to be tough?

no kidding. I get that this team is young and exciting, and gives us a ton of hope moving forward, but people are letting that cloud their view of how good we are right now. We beat Edmonton, Buffalo (luckily), and Vancouver, and posters are talking about how we're in a playoff spot, and no team scares them.

I get it, I'm excited too. But we're not there yet. An 82 games season is a long one. There will be growing pains, mistakes, a losing streaks with this many rookies. Be realistic

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Game was a good learning experience. The entire season will be a learning experience.

The game was uneventful but something you just gotta accept in a development season like this.

936LeafsOilers997

Dec 31, 2015

To be honest, despite some people being a little bit too Quick to call the Leafs the better team, in about a couple of years they probably will be right...

I don't pencil the Kings down as a playoff lock either this year and if they make it, it will be mostly because of how weak their division is right now (will also be different in a couple of years though).

FearTheBeard

Mar 27, 2011
To be honest, despite some people being a little bit too Quick to call the Leafs the better team, in about a couple of years they probably will be right...

I don't pencil the Kings down as a playoff lock either this year and if they make it, it will be mostly because of how weak their division is right now (will also be different in a couple of years though).

thats the key though, in a couple of years, no denying that. But not right now, not yet

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
A humbling loss is just what the doctor orders for young teams. Any team especially a young one that is having short term success can start to think the path to consistent success is an easy one.

This may not be a popular view but I think last night's loss happened in the corners and along the boards. Big bodies give this team fits.

936LeafsOilers997

Dec 31, 2015
thats the key though, in a couple of years, no denying that. But not right now, not yet

No, definitely not right now.
I do hope Doughty will test FA by then, because I can't see them winning a lot of silverware, anymore. Although, lifestyle and a nice paycheck will also be in play, of course.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That was embarrassing. I want to again put the highlight on Bozak and JVR. They were pretty much a guarantee for space in the defensive zone and odd-man breaks this game, as so many before.

There was one instance when Bozak was side by side with his man entering the neutral zone, sees that Marner is working his ass of to catch up, and he just stops skating. Let's Marner, who was way behind, pick up his guy while he coasted back. Marner never caught up, and LA got an odd man situation.

Just unbelievable. Should be unacceptable.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
That was embarrassing. I want to again put the highlight on Bozak and JVR. They were pretty much a guarantee for space in the defensive zone and odd-man breaks this game, as so many before.

There was one instance when Bozak was side by side with his man entering the neutral zone, sees that Marner is working his ass of to catch up, and he just stops skating. Let's Marner, who was way behind, pick up his guy while he coasted back. Marner never caught up, and LA got an odd man situation.

Just unbelievable. Should be unacceptable.

How those 2 stay on a line together when they've been terrible defensively, even under different coaches, is beyond me

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
How those 2 stay on a line together when they've been terrible defensively, even under different coaches, is beyond me

Yeah. Problem is that we can't really get the lines the way we want them. We have two lines that need sheltering and one shutdown line now. However we change them to get more balanced, it means losing the shutdown line that makes sheltering possible.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yeah. Problem is that we can't really get the lines the way we want them. We have two lines that need sheltering and one shutdown line now. However we change them to get more balanced, it means losing the shutdown line that makes sheltering possible.
JVR - Matthews -Nylander
Sosh - Bozak - Marner

That's all I can really think of

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
What I have noticed so far this season is that this team will play well in a game with some purpose. Think, season opener, 1st home game, Sat night home game, game vs rival (MTL). Although we didn't win the effort was there and we were the better team in most of those games.

Now think about games that have little fan fair or less anticipation around them. Non rival games or road games mid week. We have generally played pretty bad in those.

Add to the mix last night that this team was prob feeling pretty good about itself, and you what we have here, no not civil war, but a proper ass kicking.

Hopefully this is the type of lesson the team learns from and by seasons end will not need to be taught again.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Not quite sure why we picked up Ben Smith. I know he's good at face offs but would have thought Laich would have been a better 4th liner than Smith.
I don't even think he is the best "Smith" in our organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad