Post-Game Talk: we looked pretty good for the first couple periods

Status
Not open for further replies.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Sproul and Kronwall LOL. RS -3 with 15:00 IT. Dude is getting eaten alive. Sad the 3rd goal Blashill ****ing with the pairings again put DDK with Sproul, not a happy result.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
3 points outta last place in the conference. And the teams below us have a game or two in hand. Not a great game for Coreau although I wouldn't read too much into that. Hopefully he gets more shots, we need to know which players are going to be worth holding onto when we eventually lose all the awful contracts and become decent again, hopefully starting in 2022-23. The key is bottoming out over the next couple years and having Holland retire. Until then let's ride Blash and Holland until the wheels fall off. :popcorn:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
They played a full 60 but were outclassed. Worn down slowly. Mickey wouldn't stop his comments how on their heels the Wings were playing even in the 1st period. The lead never felt very convincing. I think the Wings are trying, playing their best hockey so far this season but it isn't enough. I'm just happy the last few have been entertaining and competitive. Many less icings than earlier games, a few more offensive set-ups and shot attempts,etc. Damn in ways we are close. :(

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI
It's the reigning Cup champs and we had our 3rd string goalie and a bunch of injuries.

They let us have fun for 2 periods. Doesn't mean we ever had a chance to win this one.

Don't beat around the bush, they were up 3-1 with 20:00 to go, looking good, up until they started going back to the same old stuff we are continuously used to watching. Scared hockey, can't get the puck out of the zone, players trying to do it all themselves (tatar, hi ;)), same old, same old third period blues. So many games this season lost bc of the third period blues. I agree with one said above, this was a game where you HC gets fired or where his seat just started to ignite. I still believe tho, but they must start now and figure it out QUICK

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
I think the Wings are trying, playing their best hockey so far this season but it isn't enough. I'm just happy the last few have been entertaining and competitive. Many less icings than earlier games, a few more offensive set-ups and shot attempts,etc. Damn in ways we are close. :(

What you are describing is a team lacking in talent.

Member when the Wings wouldn't turn up for the first 40 minutes, then decide to turn it on in the 3rd and pull out a win? I member.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
What you are describing is a team lacking in talent.

Member when the Wings wouldn't turn up for the first 40 minutes, then decide to turn it on in the 3rd and pull out a win? I member.

It's also a team that's injured and relying on rookies or players with little NHL experience.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
It's also a team that's injured and relying on rookies or players with little NHL experience.

Meh we still have tons of experience. Blash just isn't a good coach. It's time to let him go. I think a new coach, a new system can get this team on a roll. I've been frustrated by Blash for far too long.

Frans Nielsen has found his game, is second on the team in scoring and is playing with Luke Glendening and Tomas Jurco. I just don't get it.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
It's his third game back from back surgery, relax.

Yeah, as if it's the injury that changed things, and not us waiting on him to take the next step forward before that. Expectations were way too high obviously.
He's got to bury at least one of those big chances. He didn't, and I consider "it's his third game back from back surgery" as a cheap excuse considering the aforementioned notes.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I see many posts here, but sorry, you have it all wrong.:D

This is not how you watch this game as a coach at all.

If I am the coach I think:
1. I have 2 games (4 points), btb games. How do I distribute and deploy the players and the energy?
2. The worste case scenario is obviously zero points
3. Realistic scenario is 2 points
4. Hopeful scenario is 3 points
5. 4 points is obviously a pipe dream

Starting careau means to me, blashill wants to secure 2 points vs NYI. There is no much video on him since he is new to the league, so let's try, maybe he surprises and wins.
You can't simply give up 2 points, but realistically there are some teams we struggle to beat and the pens are one of them. We knew we would lose, so let's move on.

Mrazek played better lately. Team scored 3 goals btb. Mantha looks great. Nielsen is getting real hot. The team looks better lately amd we lost only one last 5.
We should focus on either winning or watch closely our young players and their development.
Whining about losses and different things leads nowhere.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm

1. I have 2 games (4 points), btb games. How do I distribute and deploy the players and the energy?

Starting careau means to me, blashill wants to secure 2 points vs NYI. There is no much video on him since he is new to the league, so let's try, maybe he surprises and wins.
You can't simply give up 2 points, but realistically there are some teams we struggle to beat and the pens are one of them. We knew we would lose, so let's move on.

Mrazek played better lately. Team scored 3 goals btb. Mantha looks great. Nielsen is getting real hot. The team looks better lately amd we lost only one last 5.
We should focus on either winning or watch closely our young players and their development.

It's fair to say that nobody expected us to be up 3-1 when going into the 3rd. But if you do, you should do a better job defending that lead. Blash preferred to get ourselves back in shell mode, and falling apart like this is the price that we paid. I know that some around here would hate a loser point, but imo it's unacceptable to give such a lead away that easily. Even ending up to lose it in regulation. No matter if it's against the incumbent Cup winner or someone else.

Sure, the Pens turned it up, and they're hell of a team. Us winning it in regulation would have really surprised me. We made it way too easy for 'em though. No fan of "well, we didn't expect much anyways, so it doesn't bother me that much". If you finally leave struggles to generate offense behind and find ways to score, plus having someone like Coreau jumping in and doing a great job, you should try to get as much out of the game as possible. They didn't. And Blash's stubborn coaching plays a big part in it.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Emphasis on "great players that's been here".

Fair enough, really nice to see Z having a great impact again.

He was playing great last year to start too.....at the same point last year (25 games) he had 20 points. He has 17 right now.

He'll fall off a cliff at game 40-45 or so because he can't handle playing 19/20 min a game anymore.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Injuries? Really? They're a fact of life, you're always going to have at least several players out through the season, you just have to hope its not your top tier players.

Which Abdelkader and Howard aren't. Lets not pretend this is like Pittsburgh losing Crosby and Malkin.

And experience is less of an issue than talent. Sure we have a lot of young inexperienced players, but again, we're not in Matthews + Nylander territory here

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
He was playing great last year to start too.....at the same point last year (25 games) he had 20 points. He has 17 right now.

He'll fall off a cliff at game 40-45 or so because he can't handle playing 19/20 min a game anymore.

Sure. But difference is that he didn't start the season as he looks now. Initially, him being top of our scorers list was rather an indication of most of the others underperforming.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage

Fixed this for ya.

2. The worst case scenario is obviously zero points
3. Realistic scenario is 1 point
4. Hopeful scenario is 2 points
5. 3 points is obviously a pipe dream

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Injuries? Really? They're a fact of life, you're always going to have at least several players out through the season, you just have to hope its not your top tier players.

Which Abdelkader and Howard aren't. Lets not pretend this is like Pittsburgh losing Crosby and Malkin.

And experience is less of an issue than talent. Sure we have a lot of young inexperienced players, but again, we're not in Matthews + Nylander territory here

Wouldn't want to be like the Oilers, a young team with no veteran leadership! :sarcasm:

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016

I'm hoping the week off between game 50 and 51 helps.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He left for the money. It's not like Detroit was begging him to stay, either.

Still sour grapes?

He left for a lot of reasons. And Holland did everything but beg him to stay. Detroit's offer wasn't as high as Toronto's but still would've made him the highest paid coach in the NHL. And they weren't willing to match the term.

Choosing between a team that's gonna throw a ton of money your way and is planning on a massive rebuild versus one that wants to keep tweaking to prolong a slow death, the decision is pretty simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad