Post-Game Talk: we like our team

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Well that's how good teams work. When one line stops, another one starts. And we've seen the potential that our middle 6 has so we know they can score. We just have to hope they start at the right time.

Our secondary scoring hasn't been as non-existent as some people are saying. Nyquist has a goal and an assist. Pulkkinen had two goals against Carolina which won us the game, with two assists from Tatar. Sure they could be better, but they haven't been invisible. If every player was on top of their game at the same time we'd be scoring 5+ goals every game.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
How does anybody think Smith played bad? He had one bad shift because he got hurt. He literally kept the play alive by himself so that Zetterberg could eventually score. Him and Kindl have both been great. The only D man who I haven't been happy with is Ericsson.

the problem with ericsson is that he is clearly not a smart man and i mean that. he cant think the game and i suspect that could be said about him away from the ice as well, just not intellectual whatsoever

he is the darkhole of the backend

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Good to get the W, but Tampa played their 3rd roadgame in 4 nights.

So this was kind of a scheduled loss for them TBH..

Probably same for detroit on saturday when they play a rested and realgud montreal team on a back-to-back.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah after three games the San Jose Sharks are also the best team in hockey and are going to win the cup. The Wings main problem over the past five years hasn't been winning random games in October.

It's laughable, but not surprising in the slightest that you are already patting Holland on the back for a job well done.

If the Wings drop the next three, should i start proclaiming that we can safely laugh at all the Holland supporters for trusting him?

It's amusing how hard you try to antagonize posters who aren't happy with Holland's performance these past five years.

You should go make a thread on the main board saying how amazing the Wings are. It will fit in nicely with the other nine threads going on about how X team is special after winning their first 2-3 games of the season.

One thing it's definitely not too soon to praise Holland for:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1757147

That proposal is the new Nyquist and Tatar for Bouwmeester.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
one day our top line is going to stop producing and on that day we're gonna be screwed unless our other lines get going

Others are producing chances quite equally. It's just puck luck that 1st line has got all the REAL production as goals.

I would worry only if some line isn't producing any chances. Then we have a problem.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Others are producing chances quite equally. It's just puck luck that 1st line has got all the REAL production as goals.

I would worry only if some line isn't producing any chances. Then we have a problem.

Seems more like the difference between finishing and not finishing than luck and unlucky.

Abby and Larkin have been burying pucks left and right.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Good to get the W, but Tampa played their 3rd roadgame in 4 nights.

So this was kind of a scheduled loss for them TBH..

Probably same for detroit on saturday when they play a rested and realgud montreal team on a back-to-back.

We'll beat MTL. 5-0 after Saturday.

Book it.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Holland still needs to use our excess assets to improve the team.

Agreed. Excess of forwards right now and the pipeline is bursting with them. Something's gotta give.

I don't know if there are any great fits available at D, but we obviously need to be looking. No one would disagree with that. A trade up for Provorov was my draft day dream.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Agreed. Excess of forwards right now and the pipeline is bursting with them. Something's gotta give.

I don't know if there are any great fits available at D, but we obviously need to be looking. No one would disagree with that. A trade up for Provorov was my draft day dream.

Yeah, problem is availability. Especially this early in the season...both because teams are still gauging where they're at but also due to the larger cap hit we'd take from who we get back.

I wanna see Holland go for the homerun this season though. We still have productive Datsyuk/Z/Kronwall, we don't know how many seasons will last. Not that I'm particularly worried about our future, but I think we have a 1-3 year window to win now before we go through a short period where we're likely a playoff team but maybe not quite a contender. We got great depth at forward, two very competent goalies, we're a piece away from having a good enough D-core to go with that. Our D isn't going to be the strongest aspect of the team, but it doesn't need to be. It needs to be good enough to get by with our responsible forwards + solid goaltending.

Helm is redundant at this point, but how much value does he hold given his injuries? Not sure. Either way I think you package him out. Him + Pulks/Mantha/Nyquist + Jensen/XO + 2nd/3rd...what does that realistically fetch? And would it be enough to part with it?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
EDIT: I wouldnt be surprised if they run howard for carolina (easier game) and give mrazek montreal
Let Mrazek handle Carolina again, give Howard the tougher matchup against Montreal. Howie's been pretty good so far, I see no reason to try and 'shelter' him against easier opponents.

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Yeah, problem is availability. Especially this early in the season...both because teams are still gauging where they're at but also due to the larger cap hit we'd take from who we get back.

I wanna see Holland go for the homerun this season though. We still have productive Datsyuk/Z/Kronwall, we don't know how many seasons will last. Not that I'm particularly worried about our future, but I think we have a 1-3 year window to win now before we go through a short period where we're likely a playoff team but maybe not quite a contender. We got great depth at forward, two very competent goalies, we're a piece away from having a good enough D-core to go with that. Our D isn't going to be the strongest aspect of the team, but it doesn't need to be. It needs to be good enough to get by with our responsible forwards + solid goaltending.

Helm is redundant at this point, but how much value does he hold given his injuries? Not sure. Either way I think you package him out. Him + Pulks/Mantha/Nyquist + Jensen/XO + 2nd/3rd...what does that realistically fetch? And would it be enough to part with it?

Helm+Pulkkinen+XO+2nd is the only combination possible, you can't give up on Mantha after his showing in this preseason, and Nyquist is nyquist, he'll get his goals and assists..

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Seems more like the difference between finishing and not finishing than luck and unlucky.

Abby and Larkin have been burying pucks left and right.

Yep. And does that make Tatar bad finisher? He has had his chances. Just not going in. At pre-season every one of his shot did went in. Now, with a very small 3-game sample size, they haven't been going in. Just different luck on his case.

Puck luck evens out on the long run. There is a some skill factor on the play, like Darren Helm does not finish as many chances as someone else, but statistically, more chances you get, you also finish more.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Helm+Pulkkinen+XO+2nd is the only combination possible, you can't give up on Mantha after his showing in this preseason, and Nyquist is nyquist, he'll get his goals and assists..

That's my preferred option. But if it's for the right D-man I'm willing to part with Nyquist. My return expectations would be much higher though.

What would you expect from Helm + Pulks + XO + 2nd?

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Last edited:

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I'm actually surprised that so many of our own we're already super high on Larkin.

Considering he was even back then our far and away best hope for a 1C it can't be that surprising. Even if you thought his chances weren't great at filling that spot trading it away doesn't strike me as a smart move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad