Post-Game Talk: we like our team

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I don't know, hindsight is making it look like Hudler should have been a pretty valuable little commodity. He's been a sizable contributor to Calgary.

With Smith, yeah, he made some damn stupid moves last night. It looked like he was pressing, perhaps because of Dekeyser's possible return, who knows. Was ugly. He and Kindl also got left to hang by their forwards from time to time, though. Outside of Kronwall and, usually, Dekeyser, our blueline is going to screw up, and they are going to need help from the guys up front.

That said, not sure what to do with Smith. I think he's shown a high ceiling when everything's clicking. Sometimes the spark doesn't seem to be getting any gas to catch, though.

When the Hudler proposals were flying around here, he hadn't been able to score in the NHL yet. He was just an undersized, slow footed AHL scoring champion (......). The notion that anyone was going to give a top commodity for him was silly.

If it helps, I also think that Ericsson is still a bottom pair defenseman being crammed into a top pair role he is completely unfit to play.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I don't know, hindsight is making it look like Hudler should have been a pretty valuable little commodity. He's been a sizable contributor to Calgary.

With Smith, yeah, he made some damn stupid moves last night. It looked like he was pressing, perhaps because of Dekeyser's possible return, who knows. Was ugly. He and Kindl also got left to hang by their forwards from time to time, though. Outside of Kronwall and, usually, Dekeyser, our blueline is going to screw up, and they are going to need help from the guys up front.

That said, not sure what to do with Smith. I think he's shown a high ceiling when everything's clicking. Sometimes the spark doesn't seem to be getting any gas to catch, though.

With Hudler I usually thought it was Babs' insistence on certain things that kept him from being a bigger threat. Defense first, safe hockey, grinding style. Plus it never seemed like Babs liked Huds that much. With Smith that is but a small part of the reason. The biggest flaw is like you say, the spark has no gas. I've said it before and it seems mean, but Smith just seems like a stereotypical jock, a bro. Athletic as hell for sure, but not that bright. His decision making....

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Mrazek has probably won more playoff games in the AHL then Howard has in the NHL.

Not to mention Mrazek only had 1 playoff series and if not for the dfensive collapse he might have won it.

...okay? You've convinced me that I should trust Mrazek to play against any AHL team just as much as I trust Howard to play against any NHL team.

Or was there something else you were trying to accomplish?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
If you could get a ham sandwich, or some big buffalo wings for Smith + Jurco + pick, I'd agree. But you can't. This is akin to the old Lang + Lilja or Hudler + Kindl threads. Of course we'd all love to buy helpful players using nothing but our unwanted dreck. But that's not how it goes.

Well the one horrible shift still counts, right? Also the play that stuck with me was on the PK when he had the puck at the Tampa blue line and could have rimmed it around to try and hit a forechecker, could have ragged it back and killed off time, etc. Instead he flips it straight up into the netting.

He just repeatedly makes mistakes that players with even a little bit of hockey sense would not make. That's how I saw it anyway.

Actually the mention of a first and Jurco for hamhuis enthused Canuck fans

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
...If it helps, I also think that Ericsson is still a bottom pair defenseman being crammed into a top pair role he is completely unfit to play.

One thing to note is I'm pretty sure Kronner and Big Rig are best buds, and that type of friendship is priceless. Within pro sports these bonds can be a factor to a team having fun and winning. Kronwall has stated he wants E as his partner, Wings fans just have to accept it. I think Kronwall is probably being too nice a guy, but if their families are this close what can you do? :help: :laugh: I've been made aware of the idea here at HF and it is a possible solution for many teams and an answer for the Ericsson contract: the expansion draft! Honestly though seeing the two together this season so far are getting the job done.

both goalies look good right now~ I would give howard carolina because he is the veteran between the two

I think rotate every game the way Blashill is going until one proves he needs a break. We saw what creating a goalie "controversy" can do in a place like VAN, that is the main thing to avoid. Get feedback what Howard and Mrazek think is best. A string of 3 games etc. or back and forth? We know Jimmy lost the job in the PO's it's important to get his confidence returned. Without the classic "goalie competition" I can see both guys feeding off of each other, developing together. What a great duo! They are different generations in a long tradition of great NHL goaltenders and they both are worthy to start Friday.

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
One thing to note is I'm pretty sure Kronner and Big Rig are best buds, and that type of friendship is priceless. Within pro sports these bonds can be a factor to a team having fun and winning. Kronwall has stated he wants E as his partner, Wings fans just have to accept it. I think Kronwall is probably being too nice a guy, but if their families are this close what can you do? :help: :laugh: I've been made aware of the idea here at HF and it is a possible solution for many teams and an answer for the Ericsson contract: the expansion draft! Honestly though seeing the two together this season so far are getting the job done.

Very good point. This is something I was going to mention the other day in a different thread. Kronwall is one of the leaders on this team, and the undisputed "captain" of the defense. Blashill isn't gonna come in day 1 and tell him he isn't allowed to choose his defense partner. Even Babcock tried to accommodate our leaders when they asked for something.

I think people are making massive assumptions if they truly believe this team is going hard after a #2 dman. If Kronwall wants to play with Ericsson and splitting them up could potentially cause an issue in the locker room, our hands are tied and it's kinda pointless to go after one tbh. Even when that Phaneuf rumor was going around, everything from this team indicated he would be used to shore up the 2nd pair. Free agency comes around, and we end up targeting a guy with the sole intention of using him on... the second pair. Like it or not, I honestly think our top 4 is pretty much set for a while.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Very good point. This is something I was going to mention the other day in a different thread. Kronwall is one of the leaders on this team, and the undisputed "captain" of the defense. Blashill isn't gonna come in day 1 and tell him he isn't allowed to choose his defense partner. Even Babcock tried to accommodate our leaders when they asked for something.

I think people are making massive assumptions if they truly believe this team is going hard after a #2 dman. If Kronwall wants to play with Ericsson and splitting them up could potentially cause an issue in the locker room, our hands are tied and it's kinda pointless to go after one tbh. Even when that Phaneuf rumor was going around, everything from this team indicated he would be used to shore up the 2nd pair. Free agency comes around, and we end up targeting a guy with the sole intention of using him on... the second pair. Like it or not, I honestly think our top 4 is pretty much set for a while.

Yeah, I don't think they went after middle pairing guys by choice. Just a hell of a lot harder to land a top pair guy and they're not available all that often. I always forget which one, but one of Elder and Ehrhoff can play RD, and we were after them when they were still top pair guys. So we have pursued top pair guys that can play RD. Myers also could have maybe been that here.

And if they're scared to break up a pairing because they are buddies I hope they are re-evaluating how they make personnel decisions.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Mrazek has probably won more playoff games in the AHL then Howard has in the NHL.

Not to mention Mrazek only had 1 playoff series and if not for the dfensive collapse he might have won it.

You couldn't have taken 30 seconds to verify that?

By the way, he hasn't won more AHL playoff games than Howard has NHL games, as if that even matters.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
You couldn't have taken 30 seconds to verify that?

By the way, he hasn't won more AHL playoff games than Howard has NHL games, as if that even matters.

lol.

I thought that sounded unbelievable but I figured it was such a worthless point I'd just let him have it.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
It's funny to me to see all the talk about the goalies. Who should play? Howard will play tomorrow only because he's bad and it's the crappy team. Blashill is a bad coach because he hasn't picked a starter.

Howard started the season. Howard has started 100% of games that weren't the back end of back-to-backs.

Its almost...as if...Howard IS the starter????

korrowan

Sponsor
Feb 8, 2011
It's funny to me to see all the talk about the goalies. Who should play? Howard will play tomorrow only because he's bad and it's the crappy team. Blashill is a bad coach because he hasn't picked a starter.

Howard started the season. Howard has started 100% of games that weren't the back end of back-to-backs.

Its almost...as if...Howard IS the starter????

Well I am not sure if he is the starter because of the weird schedule of playing back to backs every Fri/Sat until next month. I think its more that hes the vet so he got first crack and has played well enough to hold that. Mrazek will get plenty of games this month (4 to Howards 7 if the situation stays true to form).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad