OT: Spring has sprung...

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
MOD EDIT/WARNING:
Generally, HF site rules bar political discussion except to the extent it's relevant to hockey. However, we're going to relax that rule a little to allow for discussion of the recent Tops shooting in this thread. Be civil with each other. Don't use this leeway to post about unrelated political viewpoints.

-Tsujimoto74

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Last night my son's first varsity season came to an end. He entered the season really nervous because he was the only goalie on the team. He is a junior and there was a senior that has played before. But, he didn't play this year because he knew that my son was going to be the starter. My son was so nervous about letting his teammates and coaches down that he had a panic attack the morning of their one scrimmage.

He went on to play every minute of every game until the last 3 minutes and change last night in their pre-QF sectional loss. He came out of the game with 16 saves on 28 shots on goal.

I was glad that the parents and fans that travelled gave both my son and the JV goalie that was entering the game the love they both deserve.

My allergies are rough today...

Reactions: Moncton man

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
The rainy season came a few weeks early and is in full force with daily rain storms. Tonight's is great in that it's cooled things down so a fan with open windows suffices. Now yesterday sucked as it was a morning storm, so 95F+ after it ended became a sauna

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The rainy season came a few weeks early and is in full force with daily rain storms. Tonight's is great in that it's cooled things down so a fan with open windows suffices. Now yesterday sucked as it was a morning storm, so 95F+ after it ended became a sauna
I'm sure your situation is stickier / sultrier. Here, after a dry, temperate (if not cool), and balmy April and May with only 1 inch rain total those months until May 30th, we had 5 inches of rain since last Monday and the humidity is here to stay until sometime in October. Temp won't drop below 70F at night until then. Currently 95F outside and heat index of 108F.

My grass is outstanding. Garden is doing well. Last radishes will be picked Thursday night and taken with us on vacation Friday. Have already harvested a couple dozen bell peppers (shared with neighbors & co-workers). First tomatoes, banana peppers, cucumbers, & zucchini have been harvested and expecting a few more of each ripened by Thursday. Maybe the first yellow squash, too. I expanded the garden this year and fenced it. Went outside before lunch and spooked a deer across my ditch in the 40 acres woods behind me who was likely bedded down for the day. Garden abuts the ditch / woods so it gets shade in the heat of summer. I leave plants in full sun then transplant them (combo of raised beds and SIP / grow-boxes) right before the time northerners / WNYers are getting your gardens into the ground. I still need to install my drip irrigation, but won't have time until I return from vacation. I've been saving material for a decade. But one benefit of COVID is I've been able to finally use a bunch of the salvage and scrap everything I've had on hand for years with projects in mind. Made my college daughter a cheap coffee table last night and will drop it with her on route for our vacation.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
How To See The 'Ring Of Fire' On Thursday
https://www.nasa.gov/content/june-10-2021-eclipse
aka Johnny Cash Eclipse and Preparation H Eclipse

We should get a good view of it early tomorrow morning. This is bigger than the draft lottery.
Partial solar eclipse visible in Buffalo at dawn Thursday | News 4 Buffalo
A partial solar eclipse will occur at dawn on June 10. The maximum eclipse will happen at 5:39 a.m., three minutes after sunrise.

NOTE: You need special tint glass so you don't damage your eyes. See News 4 article on how to view.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Two weeks ago it was hovering around 0C (32F). This week is been 30+C (too damn hot F), with an insane humidex that made it seem like it’s in the low 40s.

Canada is weird.

Reactions: Moncton man

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Two weeks ago it was hovering around 0C (32F). This week is been 30+C (too damn hot F), with an insane humidex that made it seem like it’s in the low 40s.

Canada is weird.
Weird is filipinos wearing hoodies and lighting campfires to stay warm when it's 79F after a long evening thunderstorm. Been here 8yrs and only time I wear pants and proper shoes is immigration trips or weddings, rest of the year its cargo shorts, sandals and t-shirts

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Here it has been about 55 on most days. That’s pretty warm for June. It’s normally more like 45 and rain coming in horizontally.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Weird is filipinos wearing hoodies and lighting campfires to stay warm when it's 79F after a long evening thunderstorm. Been here 8yrs and only time I wear pants and proper shoes is immigration trips or weddings, rest of the year its cargo shorts, sandals and t-shirts

It’s like that here with the Indians. They’ll be outside in winter in a t-shirt. In summer, a hoodie with the damn hood up. Whereas I’m dying wearing just shorts and a tank in the summer.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
So tonight was absolute clown world. Sitting in a bar, this short morbidly obese guy sits in the booth next to me. Over the course of 2hours I have 6 drinks, he eats a pizza and a bucket of chicken plus a few beers. I'm paying my bill ($10 suck it USA) and he tells me to be careful as my drinking can kill me. Thinking to myself 5'6" 300lbs eating a whole pizza + a KFC bucket wants to warn me, something is wrong

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
You guys have the optimal climate, very Monterey bay type, never too hot but never too cold. Generally light jacket or sweater weather
Yeah, not sure about that. I have lived in countries with cold winters - Germany and Canada. I prefer the freezing temperatures to our wet winters.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Another day of triple digit heat here.

So tonight was absolute clown world. Sitting in a bar, this short morbidly obese guy sits in the booth next to me. Over the course of 2hours I have 6 drinks, he eats a pizza and a bucket of chicken plus a few beers. I'm paying my bill ($10 suck it USA) and he tells me to be careful as my drinking can kill me. Thinking to myself 5'6" 300lbs eating a whole pizza + a KFC bucket wants to warn me, something is wrong
Six drinks in two hours - an old timer would've asked you if you needed a nipple for your bottle. Nowadays it's fatal :laugh:

Reactions: KiwiGriff

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
You've done this much shit posting on DSL internet? I fear for the future if you get a reliable high speed connection.
I wish I had DSL! The phone lines are too old. Most of my posts I send by pigeon to my buddy in town.
I'm looking forward to watching the youtube videos people post, heck, the youtube videos that I post. It sounds like a cool concept.

Reactions: Butt Ox

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
I wish I had DSL! The phone lines are too old. Most of my posts I send by pigeon to my buddy in town.
I'm looking forward to watching the youtube videos people post, heck, the youtube videos that I post. It sounds like a cool concept.
Okay. Pegulag is just so darned clever. Probably the last to notice but well done.

Reactions: cybresabre

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Was pacing myself waiting on friends to go bar hop with, but alas walked out to a deluge instead of the predicted light rain.
Would that be the wet season or the dry season for you this time of year? NM desert - we have devil's front porch hot for most of the year and then a couple months of freezing balls cold. Twister season runs seamlessly between them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: