Post-Game Talk: We have no Issues with Quick... Jones on the Other Hand.. 2-0 Leafs Lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Sorry Leafs fans now you will be watching defensive hockey in the NHL of 2014-2015.

Maybe it will bring more wins, but is it really worth it if the game is not entertaining?

To me it is disappointing because I have very much enjoyed watching the Leafs be one of the teams that actually tries to outscore the opponent instead of sitting in the trap like my Bruins.

The periods with long stretches of no real scoring chances for either team will become normal.

Yes. Wins > losing "exciting" games.

I'd rather watch 20 shot games that we win and make it to the playoffs over giving up 50+ and still losing.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
I want to see a 20 games sample size. It's sort of a random number but I think that would give us a decent gauge as to if this team has improved.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The difference in the game was the talent of Kopitar and Doughty can not be matched by anyone on Toronto.

The key here is that Kessel and Phaneuf combined have higher cap hit >> than Kopitar and Doughty.

If Kopitar and Doughty have more talent (which isn't being disputed) and cost less then its a advantage that shows up somewhere and that is the win loss record as one.

Kopitar + Doughty (Kings top players) outplayed Kessel and Phaneuf (Leafs top players) and Kings won the game.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I don't think that Carlyle was a great coach or a great fit here but the parade going on right now about how it was all his fault is most likely going to go off the rails before long.

It wasn't all him. The change in effort has been drastic.

Strange how Anaheim, when Carlyle coached them, was being outshot at the same ratio that Toronto was, when Carlyle coached them.

There was lots of effort before. Wasted effort. But still effort.

Now the effort is channeled effectively.

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585
The key here is that Kessel and Phaneuf combined have higher cap hit >> than Kopitar and Doughty.

If Kopitar and Doughty have more talent (which isn't being disputed) and cost less then its a advantage that shows up somewhere and that is the win loss record as one.

Kopitar + Doughty (Kings top players) outplayed Kessel and Phaneuf (Leafs top players) and Kings won the game.

That's true Mess. I do think that Phaneuf is overpaid; however, I don't think Kessel is. I think he makes market value. But there is no doubt that the Kings dollars are spent more efficiently on those two than on our two. Personally, I think if the Kings had a Winger of Kessel's calibre they would probably pay him ~8M as well. The key difference for me is Phaneuf vs Doughty. Doughty is actually a legit #1 Dman (actually probably the best in the league), and Phaneuf is just paid like one, and is probably a #2 Dman on a top team. I blame that on Nonis and the management team who signed him - not Phaneuf.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Sorry Leafs fans now you will be watching defensive hockey in the NHL of 2014-2015.

Maybe it will bring more wins, but is it really worth it if the game is not entertaining?

Yes. The more boring and defensive the better. Not only is that how you win games in today's NHL, but fewer goals scored => worse individual stat lines => smaller contracts => more efficient use of cap space => better roster => more wins.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

To me it is disappointing because I have very much enjoyed watching the Leafs be one of the teams that actually tries to outscore the opponent instead of sitting in the trap like my Bruins.

The periods with long stretches of no real scoring chances for either team will become normal.

I don't think you grasp how bad it was with the way we were playing. It was disgusting.

I'll take this over what we had, even if it was more 'exciting'. It was pathetic.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

Kopitar has one year left on his deal, after which he'll be a $10+ million player.

Swayze*

Yes. The more boring and defensive the better. Not only is that how you win games in today's NHL, but fewer goals scored => worse individual stat lines => smaller contracts => more efficient use of cap space => better roster => more wins.

really good points

Never thought of that

Well done.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't get people crying about "defensive" hockey. We had 32.5 shots and 3.5gls per game in horachek's first two games. Not sure why one 20 shot game on the road vs LA has everyone worried about our offense.

Swayze*

I don't get people crying about "defensive" hockey. We had 32.5 shots and 3.5gls per game in horachek's first two games. Not sure why one 20 shot game on the road vs LA has everyone worried about our offense.

I aint even shook zeke

Bravid Nonahan

carlylol = القسوة
Mar 22, 2009
أو&#1585

Exactly - but like I said, maybe wait 20 games, by then we can really do a good comparison! For now, I will enjoy the better defensive play.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Come on Mess, you know better than to make this comparison. Don't you?

Hmm, this is interesting. I have never looked at it this way (and haven't noticed anybody else making this point) but you might be on to something here.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kopitar has one year left on his deal, after which he'll be a $10+ million player.

& Kings already have 2 Cups (& counting) in the past 3 seasons with Kopitar under his current deal.

When Kopitar gets his well deserved and earned raise it will be more difficult for Kings to find Cup success unless the Cap increases enough to absorb that.

Kings are paying Kopitar for 82 regular season games and 20+ playoff bonus games of service when they consider contracts .. Playoff revenue when you aren't actually paying players easily validates cap hits and contracts on successful teams.

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga

Could not agree more.

really good points

Never thought of that

Well done.

Hmm, this is interesting. I have never looked at it this way (and haven't noticed anybody else making this point) but you might be on to something here.

Great point...well done. I agree 100%.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs have only given up 66 shots against in the last 3 games and that would have been surrendered in 4 periods in the past.

Its really nice to see the players buying into this commitment.

Hopefully it lasts !!!!

CellarDweller0

Feb 19, 2010
Mississauga
Leafs have only given up 66 shots against in the last 3 games and that would have been surrendered in 4 periods in the past.

Its really nice to see the players buying into this commitment.

Hopefully it lasts !!!!

Agreed, the only thing I worry about is that the players are not as patient with the results are return to their old ways. But that shouldn't happen.....right........RIGHT?:D

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The players hated their old ways. It was stupid and more difficult hockey.

Why would they go back to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad