Blue Jays Discussion: We have Josh Donaldson?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Doubront went 6 inning yesterday, giving up 3 hits, 2 walks, no runs, and 3 K's.

No runs in 15 innings now since we signed him.

It would be great if the jays figured something out with his mechanics and he all of a sudden became a real piece. Small sample size but so far so good

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
when were those quotes made?

Clearly the Travis one is from since he hasn't been playing. How does that prove he was playing through injury? It was nagging him so they took him out of the lineup, where's the quotes saying it was nagging him while he was playing and he ignored it?

This is the most absurd thing I've ever read. It's a concession at an attempt at an argument and is now a mere troll for the sake of it.

This level of discourse is troubling. I present facts, both numbers and quotes, and the counter arguments I'm seeing are "You weren't in the room" and "Yes it says the injury was bothering him, but if it doesn't specify if it was bothering him during games".

This is the same garbage I was seeing in the off-season when I was pointing out that our bullpen would be our downfall, and I was greeted with the countless "If AA was a real GM jests".

Do better.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Lineup looks so much better with Reyes in. I'm expecting a Bautista dl stint very soon. Two games in a row he doesn't play and we're headed to inter league. Good time to rest him

Doesn't sound like that will happen.

According to the tweet from Barry Davis Bautista expects to be in RF a week from tonight. I assume he will resume DHing in a couple days and will be back in right.

Obviously, that changes if the cortisone shot doesn't work.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I think Travis was clearly struggling due to his injury he jammed his shoulder earlier this year. They just ended up finally putting him on the DL.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I think Travis was clearly struggling due to his injury he jammed his shoulder earlier this year. They just ended up finally putting him on the DL.

From what I remember, he took a sharply hit ground ball off the shoulder. He said it felt okay, he tried to play through it and it got worse.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
For those of us that don't have the minor league system memorized, can you offer some context for those tweets?

What level of the Jays organization are they about?

Lansing, Full season A ball. All 3 are probably at least 2 probably 3 years away, but they're performing well above my expectations. Alford is in his first season in the system after he finally gave up football and really should not be hitting this well. Urena has never been known for his power with 3 homeruns the previous 2 years combined, now has 7 this year. Tellez is probably the one who I expected to be doing as well as he has, he's always been know for his bat.

This is the most absurd thing I've ever read. It's a concession at an attempt at an argument and is now a mere troll for the sake of it.

This level of discourse is troubling. I present facts, both numbers and quotes, and the counter arguments I'm seeing are "You weren't in the room" and "Yes it says the injury was bothering him, but if it doesn't specify if it was bothering him during games".

This is the same garbage I was seeing in the off-season when I was pointing out that our bullpen would be our downfall, and I was greeted with the countless "If AA was a real GM jests".

Do better.

If Travis lied to play, you can't fault the Jays.

Yes he was probably playing through it, if we assume he didn't lie about it then it was probably at the point that it was only a little discomfort and they thought he could play through it, like lots of players on lots of teams play through minor bumps and bruises through the year, that's not only the Jays. It probably got to the point where it got worse and he got worse, and they finally pulled the plug on it. To suggest that he felt just as bad when he was put on the DL compared to when he was playing is what's absurd, injuries can worsen or get better over tiem, and players don't feel exactly the same every day.

Players play through stuff, it happens

You still didn't tell me when the Saunders quote was from. If it was from the day before he can back then yes you have a point, but if it's from when he got his cortisone shot then that's another story, he could have been fine and thought he was healthy when he came back, fluid built up in his knee subsequently and that's when they realized he needed more time.

He might have been playing when they knew it was too early, but he also might have been completely fine and then something else developed that nobody could expect. As far as I know he was out originally the expected length that the injury would take to recover from.

To suggest that those injuries are a direct result of an incompetent staff is ludicrious as nobody except those with inside info knows for sure. It might be, but I'm not going to sit here and ***** about stuff that I'm not privy to. Nobody should.

Last edited:

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Doesn't sound like that will happen.

According to the tweet from Barry Davis Bautista expects to be in RF a week from tonight. I assume he will resume DHing in a couple days and will be back in right.

Obviously, that changes if the cortisone shot doesn't work.

Yea I saw that after I posted but yea I'm assuming it all depends on that shot

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I don't think it's as simple as that, though. For one, a healthy Jays team would get well above league average offensive production at C, 2B, SS, 3B, RF and DH. Because of that, you can afford to play a less-than-ideal bat at another position if he provides value in other ways. Second, both defenders on the left side have a propensity for wild throws, so the value of a good defensive first baseman could be very high given the number of tough opportunities he would be expected to get.

You do have a good point there. But I still don't know, man. He still needs to show me more. His career OPS is 689, that's atrocious for a first baseman. Don't give me the Safeco Field excuse. We still need to have higher standards.

Nasty Nazem

Come at me Crow!
Apr 5, 2010
Canada
Alford strikeout isn't that bad either (23.7%) and considering how raw and the level he is playing at with his level of experience, its way better than I thought it would be. He is up to 30 walks and 31 strikeouts which is just nuts. He is hitting for a great average too... only a matter of time before he starts hitting for power.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
For those of us that don't have the minor league system memorized, can you offer some context for those tweets?

What level of the Jays organization are they about?

Let's just say that on pure talent alone - Anthony Alford is what you would call a 'blue-chip' prospect in hockey.

He's got tools to be a 5-tool player in the MLB and is only behind Hoffman as Toronto's best prospect, IMO.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Let's just say that on pure talent alone - Anthony Alford is what you would call a 'blue-chip' prospect in hockey.

He's got tools to be a 5-tool player in the MLB and is only behind Hoffman as Toronto's best prospect, IMO.

depends on who you still consider a prospect I guess. It might be a little early for that given he's played just over a month in full season A ball. Needs to prove himself a little more I think.

I'd still have Pompey ahead of him, Norris too. Sanchez and Osuna, and Travis I guess you take off the "prospect tag" because they've spent 45 days in the majors now and wouldn't be eligible for rookie status moving forward, but Osuna is definitely still a prospect in my eyes given he has potentially more to bring to the big league as a starter. I'd have him ahead as well.

Really is exciting though the way he's playing.

Bluejaysfan*

If Norris still counts as a prospect I'd take him over Alford, Sanchez too.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
If Travis lied to play, you can't fault the Jays.

Is there proof that he lied about his injury? Because if so, fair enough, I think I can agree that it's his own fault.

Far as Saunders, he said he had trouble with putting weight on his back knee, and he never looked right on the field. It's logical to conclude that this is related to him coming back much earlier than predicted.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Is there proof that he lied about his injury? Because if so, fair enough, I think I can agree that it's his own fault.

Far as Saunders, he said he had trouble with putting weight on his back knee, and he never looked right on the field. It's logical to conclude that this is related to him coming back much earlier than predicted.

I'm just going off what someone else said, I don't know if it's true, just like you don't know if it's true that the Jays knew his injury was serious and was to incompetent to take him out.

Yes the Jays medical staff might be too incompetent and cause the Jays injury situation to be worse, however the player may have been playing when they were healthy enough to be playing, and any team would have had them playing, and then they got worse, we don't have the medical records and I think it's stupid to be jumping to those conclusions. You could be complaining about things that don't exist. Which seems like a big waste of time.

The only real example you have is the Lind situation, which I don't remember but certainly sounds like a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes, I can forgive 1 known mistakes without complaining about mistakes which I don't know if they are even mistakes or not.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Is there an end in sight for this injury/staff discussion? Been going on a while

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Yes, Mike Harrington is actually useful for something other than asking bad questions at Mike Babcock press conferences

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Pitching is coming around, bats getting healthy, and 3.5 games out of first

Probably will result in some other stupid injury that kills the momentum, but there's some optimism here

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Pitching is coming around, bats getting healthy, and 3.5 games out of first

Probably will result in some other stupid injury that kills the momentum, but there's some optimism here

It's insane that were so close to first with how bad our record is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad