GDT: We have a game tonight? Devils vs. Senators, 7pm, MSG+

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I'll kick the dead horse too... I haven't ever really agreed with a lot of you guys complaining about the officiating in years past. However, this year it has been absolutely terrible. I DO NOT think that it has really cost us any games overall, but it certainly doesn't help. The Wilson hit on Moore still irks me especially when Zacha gets a game misconduct for one with way less intensity or aggression.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
I'll kick the dead horse too... I haven't ever really agreed with a lot of you guys complaining about the officiating in years past. However, this year it has been absolutely terrible. I DO NOT think that it has really cost us any games overall, but it certainly doesn't help. The Wilson hit on Moore still irks me especially when Zacha gets a game misconduct for one with way less intensity or aggression.

I don't like to complain about it either. It's frequently used as an excuse for a losing team, but this is more the state of officiating in the league right now. It's been very inconsistent, and tonight was a great example.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm sick of the Devils sucking at offense every ****ing year. If anything it's getting worse. I though adding Hall would move the needle, but we're still a ****show.

If we had just an average offense, not even a good one, just a ****ing average one we'd be in the playoffs every year thanks to Schneider.

Instead we insult his professionalism and dedication by trotting out one group of dead on their feet jelly armed grenade handlers after another.

I'm sick of it.

That's why I'm saying, Shero needs to do something to make a noticeable improvement with the offense next year. Either do that or eek out 2-1 wins, which is impossible with Hynes system.

Shero said on day one that you need to score more than 1 or 2 goals (forgot the exact quote) to win games and we've scored 1 or 0 goals in almost 30% of this year's games and I don't even know about last year. We're 29th in goals for this year, we were 30th last year. We need to be at least 25th next year, I'm hoping for even more but I think 25th shouldn't be too much to ask for. He said on the day he was announced as GM here, that you need to score goals to win games and that sounded like a direct shot at how pathetic the offense was in years prior to him being here.

Next year will be 3 years he's been here, it's fair game to complain if we're 3 years in and seeing no improvement in goals scored and no improvement in points gained in the standings. It's put up or shut up time. If we're sitting here at 29th or 30th in goals for and 85 points at the end of the 17-18 season, I think it's fair for even the most rational and patient fan to start wondering if we need a new coach and even questioning if the GM is really doing that good of a job, other than the Hall trade. Which was great and I'll never second guess that one ever. We have not otherwise improved though. At that point, someone needs to take responsibility though, whether it's the head coach or the GM. It's really not an accomplishment to jump from the league's 29th scoring team to 25th in a year. So if he can't do that, that may just be an indictment on him as a GM, or it's time to really consider finding a coach that runs a better system than this.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Don't care about the standings, haven't in a long time. But regardless, that's just absolutely embarrassing to lose that game.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
I'm sick of the Devils sucking at offense every ****ing year. If anything it's getting worse. I though adding Hall would move the needle, but we're still a ****show.

If we had just an average offense, not even a good one, just a ****ing average one we'd be in the playoffs every year thanks to Schneider.

Instead we insult his professionalism and dedication by trotting out one group of dead on their feet jelly armed grenade handlers after another.

I'm sick of it.

Agreed. At some point you got to look and wonder if guys like Henrique/Palmieri/Cam are as good at generating team offense as we think they are.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Parenteau (not including Zacha because he got hurt) was the ONLY PLAYER ON THE TEAM TO HAVE A NEGATIVE SHOT DIFFERENTIAL AT 5v5. THE ONLY ONE. God he's such a sack of ****.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Don't care about the standings, haven't in a long time. But regardless, that's just absolutely embarrassing to lose that game.

It was well deserved after that win against the Islanders, where the defense stunk for the last 2 period's, we had 5 or 6 scoring chances and 3 of them went in and got glued in our end the entire 3rd period and most of the 2nd.

Consider it the percentages evening out.

Should have won this game, should have lost that one.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Agreed. At some point you got to look and wonder if guys like Henrique/Palmieri/Cam are as good at generating team offense as we think they are.

At this point I'd be ok if Palmieri was the only one out of that trio who was here next year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Parenteau (not including Zacha because he got hurt) was the ONLY PLAYER ON THE TEAM TO HAVE A NEGATIVE SHOT DIFFERENTIAL AT 5v5. THE ONLY ONE. God he's such a sack of ****.

Meh

He's usually one of the only players to have a positive shot differential at 5 on 5. At least more often than the other guys.

In a week or two, he'll be gone and Bennett can play again. Or maybe DSP will come back out in 3 more games if he doesn't get another goal.:laugh:

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
We played really well, but Anderson shut the door pretty hard and Ottawa's team defense has me all hot and bothered. I can understand freaking out over a loss, but not this one tbh.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
At this point I'd be ok if Palmieri was the only one out of that trio who was here next year.

Palms is a keeper for sure. He may be asked to bite off a little more than he can chew in terms of scoring but even then he's putting up decent numbers. And when he isn't scoring at least he brings a physical/pest element that we lack. I like Rico, I really do. I think he can be an okay 2nd liner for us moving forward. But his cold streaks are frigid and unlike Palms he doesn't really have much of an impact on the game outside of his scoring. I don't want to trade him but if an opportunity came a knockin' I'd at least listen.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Meh

He's usually one of the only players to have a positive shot differential at 5 on 5. At least more often than the other guys.

In a week or two, he'll be gone and Bennett can play again. Or maybe DSP will come back out in 3 more games if he doesn't get another goal.:laugh:

More Bennett... hopefully PA is actually dealt for a 3rd or 4th.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That's why I'm saying, Shero needs to do something to make a noticeable improvement with the offense next year. Either do that or eek out 2-1 wins, which is impossible with Hynes system.

This is literally how the Devils, a terrible team outside their own net that was incredibly inept at offense, won 38 games last year. Ekeing out 2-1 wins.

Shero said on day one that you need to score more than 1 or 2 goals (forgot the exact quote) to win games and we've scored 1 or 0 goals in almost 30% of this year's games and I don't even know about last year. We're 29th in goals for this year, we were 30th last year. We need to be at least 25th next year, I'm hoping for even more but I think 25th shouldn't be too much to ask for. He said on the day he was announced as GM here, that you need to score goals to win games and that sounded like a direct shot at how pathetic the offense was in years prior to him being here.

Next year will be 3 years he's been here, it's fair game to complain if we're 3 years in and seeing no improvement in goals scored and no improvement in points gained in the standings. It's put up or shut up time. If we're sitting here at 29th or 30th in goals for and 85 points at the end of the 17-18 season, I think it's fair for even the most rational and patient fan to start wondering if we need a new coach and even questioning if the GM is really doing that good of a job, other than the Hall trade. Which was great and I'll never second guess that one ever. We have not otherwise improved though. At that point, someone needs to take responsibility though, whether it's the head coach or the GM. It's really not an accomplishment to jump from the league's 29th scoring team to 25th in a year. So if he can't do that, that may just be an indictment on him as a GM, or it's time to really consider finding a coach that runs a better system than this.

Coach and GM can't make the shots. Which is just another way of saying that I agree that the offense should be better next year, but sometimes the puck just doesn't go in. Tonight's a good example of that. I'll be happy if they can direct more pucks at the net - currently that's the #1 issue with this team.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Wood and Blandisi were great tonight. Severson and Merrill looked good too. That's all that matters at this point.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This is literally how the Devils, a terrible team outside their own net that was incredibly inept at offense, won 38 games last year. Ekeing out 2-1 wins.

Coach and GM can't make the shots. Which is just another way of saying that I agree that the offense should be better next year, but sometimes the puck just doesn't go in. Tonight's a good example of that. I'll be happy if they can direct more pucks at the net - currently that's the #1 issue with this team.

When I say eek out the 2-1 wins, I think with another method than the one where we'd get outshot 28-21 (or whatever it was last year), Even last year we couldn't generate a scoring chance against a high school team on some nights.

And I don't think tonight was a bad loss. As I've said, I maintain this was the odds evening out after that win over the Islanders on Saturday. I think I was one of the only one's that thought that was an awful in the final 2 period's and the entire 3rd period was like a pow wow in the Devils defensive zone.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Need more talent on blue line to generate shots and drive play forward. Auvitu has to play.

Need more talented forwards to drive play forward and generate shots.

We still have a lot of holes. Pray to God one of Zacha/McLeod becomes a legit #1 center.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
When I say eek out the 2-1 wins, I think with another method than the one where we'd get outshot 28-21 (or whatever it was last year), Even last year we couldn't generate a scoring chance against a high school team on some nights.

The Devils were a shot suppressing team last year with quite a bad roster. The way they accomplished this was also by suppressing their own shots to a ridiculous degree, but the point is that Hynes was able to ice a roster that did suppress opponents' shots too. The idea that Hynes's system was responsible for last year's team being outshot, or that somehow a Hynes system necessarily results in a team being outshot - yeah, somehow I don't think so.

And I don't think tonight was a bad loss. As I've said, I maintain this was the odds evening out after that win over the Islanders on Saturday. I think I was one of the only one's that thought that was an awful in the final 2 period's and the entire 3rd period was like a pow wow in the Devils defensive zone.

I agree with this.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Rea a rather scathing peice on our owner the other day from a Philly writer on his time with the Sixers, was less than encouraging to say the least

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
and yet the sixers are better positioned than most teams in the nba

if you're talking about the angelo cataldi article then you should look at his latest tweet and see philly fan's responses to it. and in that article he brought up harris landing his helicopter on the soccer field but if he even bothered to do some research about it you could see it was a clear miscommunication.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The situations aren't comparable for a ton of reasons.

But the two GMs have two different strategies to building teams.

Shero isn't doing a total blow up and multi-year tank here. If the owners wanted him to do that, we would of seen it. Especially with the high level talent that was available over the past two drafts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad