GDT: We have a game tonight? Devils vs. Senators, 7pm, MSG+

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Based on what? This team isn't complete, anyone who thought so was fooling themselves.

When are people going to realize that it was not possible for this rebuild to happen overnight? Who realistically believed that this patchwork defense would hold up over the full season?

It's obviously frustrating, everyone wants the team to win now, but Shero is still forming this team to what he wants it to be. And in the midst of all of this, we're still giving quality minutes and playing time to first year players like Zacha, Santini, Wood and to prospects like Blandisi and Coleman in the middle of this rebuild. We have tons of cap space, very few long term contracts and plenty of draft picks to trade for players should we see the opportunity.

If you see past the fog of ineptitude that this season is falling into, things look good for us. Just have to play the cards right.

I said at times. However, this so called core hasn't done a thing. By the time are prospects hopefully are ready to contribute, our vets will be useless. Call me frustrated by losing again at home to an undermanned team. It's getting ugly. Maybe the current leadership is lacking, poor coaching or not enough talent, they still need some kind of culture change. The current Devils have come to except the losing culture. I never thought I would see that day.:rant:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I said at times. However, this so called core hasn't done a thing. By the time are prospects hopefully are ready to contribute, our vets will be useless. Call me frustrated by losing again at home to an undermanned team. It's getting ugly. Maybe the current leadership is lacking, poor coaching or not enough talent, they still need some kind of culture change. The current Devils have come to except the losing culture. I never thought I would see that day.:rant:

I'd wait until the defense is improved before jumping to the conclusion that the Devils are used to a losing culture. It's an obvious weak spot for the Devils in all three zones, even if Merrill - Santini have improved it a bit in the last few weeks.

We have Ben Lovejoy on our top pair, which just goes without saying.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd wait until the defense is improved before jumping to the conclusion that the Devils are used to a losing culture. It's an obvious weak spot for the Devils in all three zones, even if Merrill - Santini have improved it a bit in the last few weeks.

We have Ben Lovejoy on our top pair, which just goes without saying.

Need to improve the offense even worse. We're way closer to the bottom in goals for than goals against and this has been the one constant since the cup finals year.

I realize getting some better defensemen might help it, but I'm much more worried about scoring goals than keeping them out of the net at this point.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Need to improve the offense even worse. We're way closer to the bottom in goals for than goals against and this has been the one constant since the cup finals year.

I realize getting some better defensemen might help it, but I'm much more worried about scoring goals than keeping them out of the net at this point.

Wasn't the cup finalist team 12th overall in GF? Since then, they have been brutal.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Wasn't the cup finalist team 12th overall in GF? Since then, they have been brutal.

Having 3 of the top 30 forwards in the game makes up for a lot. Since that year, Parise left, Kovalchuk declined and left, and Elias declined and left. Hall, Zajac, and Henrique are nowhere near the same level.

We need more skill in the lineup at forward and defense. It's as simple as that. Too much of our lineup is composed of replacement level players.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Been (I think) at least bottom 3 every year since. Bottom 5 at best.

28th in 12-13
27th in 13-14
28th in 14-15
39th in 15-16

We're currently 28th, but we're really 29th in goals per game. We have one more goal than Arizona in 2 more games played.

We have 22 more goals in 2 more games played than Colorado. We're currently 13th worst in goals against per game. The goals for is a MUCH bigger issue here than the goals against. Our goals against this year is worse than any year in quite a few, as we've been top 10 in goals against for quite a few of the last several years.

The goals for needs to improve next season. If we're sitting here at 28th or 29th in the league in goals for at the end of 17-18, it's fair to start pointing fingers at Shero and questioning what the hell he's doing.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Having 3 of the top 30 forwards in the game makes up for a lot. Since that year, Parise left, Kovalchuk declined and left, and Elias declined and left. Hall, Zajac, and Henrique are nowhere near the same level.

We need more skill in the lineup at forward and defense. It's as simple as that. Too much of our lineup is composed of replacement level players.

You forgot to mention Clarkson, you know.:naughty:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

Offense from the defense and a transition game will do wonders. Defenders that don't shoot into shin pads would be nice as well.

We get no offense from our defense right now. When we did earlier in the season, the team looked very good. Severson has been making some dumb offense killing decisions of late with the puck as well.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Offense from the defense and a transition game will do wonders. Defenders that don't shoot into shin pads would be nice as well.

We get no offense from our defense right now. When we did earlier in the season, the team looked very good. Severson has been making some dumb offense killing decisions of late with the puck as well.

Lots of guys are doing dumb things with the puck.

Too many guys don't know where they should move the puck to, or they don't know where they need to be. Been a problem since day one. Team has never been even 70% at any point this season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad